Constepation

Options
Horrible I no but I have changed my diet this week drastically and it left me with the worst constipation I'm literally in agony is there anything fast acting

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Dulcolax
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    2nd for the laxative. Eating too little fat can bung some people up...short term though laxatives are safe just try to find a natural.way to go.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Use an overnight stool softener. Drink lots of water overnight, and go for a brisk run/walk in the morning.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I had constipation from tablets I was taking, but since I upped my fibre I have no more problems in that area, so as a long term solution, try eating more fibre rather than relying on laxatives, especially if it's every day.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Senna based laxative for now. Drink tons of water. Go get some Metamucil for daily fiber. If the constipation doesn't clear up in2 days see a doctor.
  • Marss86
    Marss86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lots of water & some good fats like olive oil, avocado etc. Also maybe some soups till you clear the way...
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have first thing in the morning a giant glass of water, a teaspoon-ish of baking soda and the juice of half a lemon. As for the baking soda the results may vary. A teaspoon of baking soda might induce liquid toilet explosions and for others a teaspoon is not enough. Had to start somewhere.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Phillips. Couldn't live without it. Doesn't matter what foods or how much fiber I consume...my digestive tract is "slow", shall we say. 4tblsp adult serving of Phillips...you'll be "cleared out" by morning.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Water and fats
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Let us know how this all comes out in the end.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Make a shake with some xanthan gum...... :lol:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Go to your pharmacy and get the powdered drink they give to colonoscopy patients to flush them out before the procedure, and stay near the toilet, do not leave home. It's not a pleasant experience but you will be empty afterward. I was in your position once and i was desperate and in pain and the above treatment gave me quick heavenly relief.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kevd310187 wrote: »
    Horrible I no but I have changed my diet this week drastically and it left me with the worst constipation I'm literally in agony is there anything fast acting

As someone who suffers from IBS, I can definitely say a magnesium pill daily really helps. If the constipation gets really bad, as in 'I haven't gone in 2 weeks' bad, miralax, water and metamucil really help.

Make sure you get enough fats and fiber after things get resolved, too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    @chirstine_72 They really let you get the colonoscopy stuff just by asking? That's really good info to know if you are in severe pain. I live in the US, and I think you are in AUS. Wonder if it's different.
    For some reason I thought that stuff would be prescription only. But then again, why would it be?
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @chirstine_72 They really let you get the colonoscopy stuff just by asking? That's really good info to know if you are in severe pain. I live in the US, and I think you are in AUS. Wonder if it's different.
    For some reason I thought that stuff would be prescription only. But then again, why would it be?

@JanetYellen , Yes you can buy it at any pharmacy here for $3 a pack.

If they arent available in the US over the counter, then a salt water flush works just as well, but chugging down a litre of warm salty water is truly vomit worthy, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Can you tell I've had problems with constipation in the past lol
    I've got it under control now by taking magnesium everyday and a serving of psyllium husk powder for extra insurance :lol:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    In Canada you just have to ask the pharmacist for it as it is behind the counter. I seriously would only recommend it if you are very very desperate as it is not a pleasant experience
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In Canada you just have to ask the pharmacist for it as it is behind the counter. I seriously would only recommend it if you are very very desperate as it is not a pleasant experience

Yeah I agree. I was in so much pain before deciding to take this stuff, i was nearly ready for hospital where they would have given me an enema anyway. Mine was caused by pain relief meds.

I am so sensitive that if i go more than 2 days without pooping, i get excruciating pain and vomit anything i consume, even water, straight up. So i make double sure i go everyday.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    @singingflutelady I am sure it's not really bad the next day. After all, you have to drive to the doctor's appointment.
  • singingflutelady
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's not too bad the next day though don't expect any sleep that night and be prepared for what I term firearrhea. If you go that route a barrier cream to help protect your poor skin. I get annual colonoscopies and dread the prep every time
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I should add it hits in an hour or so so don't take it if you are not going to be at home all day.