Do you burn more calories while sick?

Options
Just curiosity, really. I've been sick for over a week. Just this horrible cold that I can't shake. Because of it, I haven't been exercising (hardly been getting out of bed), and eating over my calories a few times. I have been drinking plenty of liquids, as I always do. But I've lost 3 pounds (when my deficit is only for .5 pound). Is that real? Should I expect to gain it back as soon as I'm better? Should I have been eating more?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you were exercising, its probably a loss in water weight as less fluid is being stored to repair muscle. But yes, metabolism does increase a bit as its working to rid the infection.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's unpredictable, the body is doing a lot of different things when you're sick which will cause weight fluctuations, some up, some down. I don't think it's possible to know exactly what's going on, it's too complicated.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn more calories while sick. I'm sure you'd rather be rid of the illness and burn fewer, but maybe it's a small consolation. Like Rice-a-Roni.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Lack of water in the muscles due to decrease muscular activity is a possibility
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Well no. Maybe a slightly higher resting metabolism to fight off infection, but if you're not more physically active sick than you are when you're not sick, you're not burning more calories.
    If you're losing weight, it can be due to: eating less, being dehydrated, reduction in glycogen and water storage, and less water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png