Food scale

Options
I am wondering how much of a difference a food scale would make on my weight loss. I am currently counting calories and following a keto diet and am losing weight- about .5-1 lb a week or so. I am thinking that when I plateau- getting a food scale and being more precise with my measurements might help get me over it. What are your experiences with a scale? Was it a hindrance or a help? Also, do you have to weight meat raw? Some of my dinners are cooked for me and I wouldn't be able to weigh the food before cooking. Thanks!

Replies

• aleydee
    aleydee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! At this beginning of this year I followed the keto-diet as well, however I did use a food scale. It can definitely make quite a difference, as for many people their idea of a serving size is not accurate at all.
    It helped me a LOT to use a food scale for the keto diet since it is so strict. I needed to accurately know how much I was eating so that I stayed within my macros.
    Many scales are relatively inexpensive. I would say $25 on the high end - anything more than that is just fancy for no reason.
    I highly suggest using one!! Good luck!
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It makes a lot of difference, specially when you weigh the food in grams and when you are at a healthy BMI already
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. If you are doing fine without it, why bother?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It will blow your mind how much of a difference it makes! Without one, you're basically just guessing. Measuring spoons and cups can be very inaccuraten

You can find entries for cooked or raw, just make sure you pick the correct entry.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can measure out a cup of fruit, but when I weigh it, that cup of fruit turns out to be almost twice the calories. So weighing could actually help you out a lot.
  • kosarad
    kosarad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the food scale myself. Thx for the great thread!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you choose to get one, before buying online check your local stores.
    Walmart, target, bbbeyond all have them. Even small grocery stores have them. I even saw one at Aldi.
    Cost about $17
    Ask around if someone has a postage scale they do not use (you never know).
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Worth every penny. Totally takes the guesswork out and keeps you honest.
  • shumm090
    shumm090 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I finally bought one this week. Boy was I shocked at the difference in calories. I have been losing very slowly at about 1lb per month and now understand it's because I've only been eating slightly below maintenance.
    A food scale is definitely worth the money. Takes all the guess work out.