Advice Needed

Options
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to put this as it covers both diet and fitness/ exercise.

I'm off to a heavy metal festival Thursday until Monday and was wondering what advice you guys could give me on how to keep up with sticking to calories while there and forms of exercise I can do without missing out on the fun of the festival and the bands? I will be looking out for the healthier options when it comes to the food outlets and will be walking round the festival but what else can i do while enjoying myself there and not alienating the group i'm with (they're mainly slim guys as my female friends aren't really in to camping in a filed with metal heads)

Replies

• EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    Do you know what they would be serving at the food outlets?
    Also I would imagine you would be walking around a lot. That's burning calories...
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think your topic falls into one that I am generally interested in: "How to stay healthy and sane while on vacation" :)

I'm about to head off to Europe and am setting some realistic goals. For example, I've decided to reset MFP so that I"m eating maintenance calories, rather than trying to lose. I've spoken to my travelling buddy and we are committed to SOME exercise, but at least to walking every day.

I honestly think that's about the best you can do when you are out of your routine...

Best,

Debbie
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    I personally hate doing it but get into some of the mosh pits jump around push some peopel and sweat, just be careful and drink TONS of water while your there take stairs, walk further take walks whenever you can instead of sitting around and enjoy who all is playing?? I love metal!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Along with trying to eat healthy (well.. as healthy as you can when there's only crap available) and trying to walk around a bit, I'd make sure you keep up your water intake and dance dance dance away those calories!! Enjoy yourself... How often do you get away??
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Pack some easy portable snacks (fiber bars, apples) so you won't be starving all day. Then you will be able to splurge a little on some festival food & you won't be depriving yourself. Oh & drink PLENTY of water too!

Have fun!
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Whiskey_Byrne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you know what they would be serving at the food outlets?

Not totally sure which ones will be there this year, there will be the inevitable burger stands and Hog Roast. Hopefully the noodle bar will be there and there are normally some places that do jacket potatoes, I'm going to scoure the stands on the first day (before all bands start) to sniff out the healthiest places to go at good prices. It's hard to say exactly what will be there.

The walking will hopefully burn a lot off as it's all on a hill but was wondering if I am overlooking anything else that is going to help
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Options
    I personally hate doing it but get into some of the mosh pits jump around push some peopel and sweat, just be careful and drink TONS of water while your there take stairs, walk further take walks whenever you can instead of sitting around and enjoy who all is playing?? I love metal!

Thanks for this, I was thinking the Mosh pit could be good as long as I don't get too deep lol. We have the big 4 this year (metallica, megadeath, slayer and anthrax) along with Motorhead, in flames etc
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Options
    Along with trying to eat healthy (well.. as healthy as you can when there's only crap available) and trying to walk around a bit, I'd make sure you keep up your water intake and dance dance dance away those calories!! Enjoy yourself... How often do you get away??

Not to often to be fair, I do try to do a festival each year (probably where I started to gain the weight) but am determind now to try and stay on track as much as possible
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Options
    I think your topic falls into one that I am generally interested in: "How to stay healthy and sane while on vacation" :)

I'm about to head off to Europe and am setting some realistic goals. For example, I've decided to reset MFP so that I"m eating maintenance calories, rather than trying to lose. I've spoken to my travelling buddy and we are committed to SOME exercise, but at least to walking every day.

I honestly think that's about the best you can do when you are out of your routine...

Best,

Debbie

thanks for this I think you could be right. Hope enjoy Europe!!
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Options
    Pack some easy portable snacks (fiber bars, apples) so you won't be starving all day. Then you will be able to splurge a little on some festival food & you won't be depriving yourself. Oh & drink PLENTY of water too!

Have fun!

All very good advice thank you :happy:

I will make sure to pack snacks
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few shows like that too. I'm imagining that if you'd feel comfortable enough, you could always squeeze in with the crowd a bit & do some jumping with the crowd & the music. That really gets your heart rate going & burns calories. Strength wise, you could do some push ups or ab work in your free time. It could be as simple as just taking ten minutes to do activities like that.
    Definitely take lots of water to stay hydrated. Fruit, like apples, are also easy to travel with & help you stay hydrated as well.
    Oh! And when you go to throw your arm in the air to make the metal sign & move your arm, switch it up so both arms get a work out, lol.
    Don't forget the sunblock & have a great time!!! \m/ \m/
  • mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    Hey
    Is it Sonisphere youre going to?
    I say stay on your feet as much as you can...keep moving dancing moshing walking whatever and if youre drinking keep it to spirits and diet drinks instead of lager
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I am going to Sonisphere and really looking forward to it. Last day at work today for a week yay!!!!

I shall make sure I join in and work out while doing it, and off to the shops tomorrow to get some healthy snacks to take, already have lots of water to take.