help carbs

Options
I've been following mfp faithfully and lost 30lbs in approximately 3 months. Tonight I had to call an ambulance.....diagnosis not enough carbs! Basically my blood sugar was 76 RIGHT AFTER EATING. They told me that was the blood sugar of someone that hasn't eaten yet. My problem is I've been told carbs are bad. I don't eat bread on sandwiches, no pasta, you get it. The only carbs I've consistently eaten are baked potatoes one to three a week. I know you can't give out medical advice but could you please offer up good carbs that give energy. Thanks in advance

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, fruits and veggies, and beans are all healthy carbs. You can look at my diary to see some meal ideas.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What is the actual diagnosis? "Not enough carbs" isn't a real diagnosis. If you're still there, ask them what your admitting diagnosis was. If you're out, the diagnosis on your paperwork.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad unless you can't eat them for medical reasons
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good. Protein is good. Fats are good.

They are all good in moderation. Even water is bad for you in excess. And we need all of them.

I love Nature's Path raisin bran, heritage flakes, and multibran flakes. Enjoy some pasta again -- my favorite is whole wheat angel hair. Oh and couscous! Black eyed peas and English peas. Corn on the cob fresh from the farm. And I eat popcorn every night.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't get it... 76 is pretty ideal. I strive to keep my BG no more than 100. 76 is great and to be expected if you are eating low carb meals. An 80 is my usual number, before or after meals.

Low blood glucose is usually not a health risk unless you are a diabetic who took too much insulin. And 76 isn't low.

Now if you BG fell quickly, like with reactive hypoglycemia, it will release adrenalin and drop you blood pressure. Maybe even make you feel shaky, sweaty, and faint. If that is your case, a LCHF diet may help because you will be less reliant on glucose for fuel. I used to get the shakes every day - two hours after most meals. I switched to LCHF and the problem was solved.

Perhaps get a glucose monitor. A healthy insulin response will limit how how your blood glucose goes after a meal. Keeping a steady BG is generally the healthy way to go.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't get it... 76 is pretty ideal. I strive to keep my BG no more than 100. 76 is great and to be expected if you are eating low carb meals. An 80 is my usual number, before or after meals.

Low blood glucose is usually not a health risk unless you are a diabetic who took too much insulin. And 76 isn't low.

Now if you BG fell quickly, like with reactive hypoglycemia, it will release adrenalin and drop you blood pressure. Maybe even make you feel shaky, sweaty, and faint. If that is your case, a LCHF diet may help because you will be less reliant on glucose for fuel. I used to get the shakes every day - two hours after most meals. I switched to LCHF and the problem was solved.

Perhaps get a glucose monitor. A healthy insulin response will limit how how your blood glucose goes after a meal. Keeping a steady BG is generally the healthy way to go.

This. Normal postprandial blood glucose is under 120 after one hour, and under 100 after 2 hours. Why did you call the ambulance? Symptoms of hypoglycemia? What was you last meal, and how long before you experienced symptoms? 76 is a bit low for post meal blood glucose (assuming a high carb meal). What was the actual diagnosis? What was your blood sugar before the meal (if you happen to know)? 76 is normal fasting blood glucose, but, yes it does seem a bit low an hour or two after a meal, depending on what you ate.

I've had reactive hypoglycemia since childhood (that's why I still keep altoids in the car, even thought I haven't had an episode since gong LC; old habits die hard). The only time I've suffered a hypo is after a high carb, low fat, low protein meal. Do you have a history of hypos? Are you on insulin? Ever been diagnosed with prediabetes or diabetes?

Just not enough info to have any idea what happened.
  • ladydj0
    ladydj0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic. I stopped caffeine about 10 years ago. Since losing weight my doctor has had to adjust my blood pressure medication both up and down. Breakfast low-fat yogurt, fresh blueberries & granola water Lunch Baked potato sour cream Wendy's butter 2 decaf coffees water Dinner Bojangles roasted chicken green beans biscuit and the teens working must have given me regular coffee (first time in a decade). The ambulance recommendations were go immediately and eat rice and beans because 76 reading 30 minutes after eating at Bojangles was not normal. My bp was up 149/90 normally 130/80. They told me it was a combination of not eating enough carbs to fuel my body combined with the caffeine which raised my blood pressure giving me a double problem. I feel better after eating the beans and rice. Still a bit (high) on caffeine. Thank you all for taking the time out of your day to help. My doctor knows I'm trying to lose weight and using mfp but hasn't offered up suggestions but I haven't asked specifics. My insurance doesn't cover a dietitian unless you've had a heart attack or get a diabetic diagnosis. Thanks again
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Everything except the butter, coffee, and chicken you ate today had carbs. This is puzzling. Are you going to have a follow up with your doctor?
  • ladydj0
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Everything except the butter, coffee, and chicken you ate today had carbs. This is puzzling. Are you going to have a follow up with your doctor?
    I probably should get a doctor appointment Monday. My doctor only open M- Thursday and clinics can't make changes also more expensive.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Huh. That is an odd situation. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it was BP issue and the caffeine. My guess is that you have a healthy insulin response so your BG did not rise too much. (3o minutes post eating is too soon for it to have gone up and fallen already.)If that is the case, it was not a BG issue at all.

When my BG goes does a big drop, my BP falls. Low BP is often the problem when BG is low. My BG would be around 90/40 when my normal is more like 105/60.

I eat about 20g of carbs per day now, so I know not eating a lot of carbs to fuel the body is not a problem. You probably had at least 20g of carbs at that meal with the biscuit. You should have had enough glucose.

These are just guesses. Hope you are feeling better.
  • ladydj0
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Huh. That is an odd situation. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it was BP issue and the caffeine. My guess is that you have a healthy insulin response so your BG did not rise too much. (3o minutes post eating is too soon for it to have gone up and fallen already.)If that is the case, it was not a BG issue at all.

When my BG goes does a big drop, my BP falls. Low BP is often the problem when BG is low. My BG would be around 90/40 when my normal is more like 105/60.

I eat about 20g of carbs per day now, so I know not eating a lot of carbs to fuel the body is not a problem. You probably had at least 20g of carbs at that meal with the biscuit. You should have had enough glucose.

These are just guesses. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks I'm feeling much better this morning. My hubby (diabetic) said the same thing about that biscuit not even having time to turn to sugar that fast. He did say and has been telling me I don't eat enough carbs though. I'll definitely stop trusting restaurants to give me decaf. Have a great day.