Growing Up Black...Eating

Options
Is it just me or is it really an issue that our African American households grow up eating big meals all the time. Its what we know especially being from the south. A standard meal consist of a meat, two or three sides, and either cornbeard, biscuit or bread slice. Drink sweet tea and kool-aid. Don't let it be Sunday dinner, then you can expect at least 3 meats, 5-6 sides and both cornbread and rolls. We value the family fellowship time but it would be a lot easier as an adult to eat right if we grew up learning about things such as carbs, calories and sugar intake. This could be the reason why so many in the african american community suffer from Type 2 Diabetes. Lets break this habit and educate or black children on healthy eating habits. Yes it costs more to eat healthy but I have found that there are low cost options.

Also you guys, lets stay in touch. I appreciate the comments and replies but if you would like just send me a friend request if you to are on a journey to weightloss and healthy living!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That sounds complicated. Yes, overeating great food is an issue, however you could also make those into really healthy meals, and great fellowship, with meat, veggie sides, and going easy on the breads and sweetened drinks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    More southern than black. There are plenty of thin black people who eat well. There are plenty of southerners who eat well, too, but overeating of calorie-laden foods is a thing. Like doughnuts after church don't even count.

Cornbread was a big surprise to me, calories-wise. I knew it wasn't health food, but didn't realize it was half a day's calories. I heard someone say that God loved the south so much that he sent us cornbread. Maybe he hated us, lol. Never been a big fan of greens, but had to limit my cornbread intake in a big way. If I could pick one food to drop to 0 calories, that's be it.

Corn bread tamale pie is one of my favorite winter comfort foods :dizzy:
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    omg, this post made me miss Southern Cookin', a restaurant we used to have. That southern, black lady made the BEST darn food. The cornbread would come with its own little silver cup of melted butter.......hmmmmmmm So good!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    More southern than black. There are plenty of thin black people who eat well. There are plenty of southerners who eat well, too, but overeating of calorie-laden foods is a thing. Like doughnuts after church don't even count.

Cornbread was a big surprise to me, calories-wise. I knew it wasn't health food, but didn't realize it was half a day's calories. I heard someone say that God loved the south so much that he sent us cornbread. Maybe he hated us, lol. Never been a big fan of greens, but had to limit my cornbread intake in a big way. If I could pick one food to drop to 0 calories, that's be it.

Now I'm craving my "crack cornbread" :*
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    That sounds complicated. Yes, overeating great food is an issue, however you could also make those into really healthy meals, and great fellowship, with meat, veggie sides, and going easy on the breads and sweetened drinks.

Don't forget the cookouts! Everybody's bringing something for the grill or some side or dessert , it's ridiculous to try to get everyone on the same page about bringing better choices.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I didn't grow up black but I grew up in Texas eating like that @tierraajon .
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Corn bread is always good. We all have our favorite things to do with it, but there is no bad thing. Always, always good. I'm shocked that you see it so rarely up north. Better that way for them. One less thing to overeat, but how it didn't catch on, I don't know.
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This discussion is similar to one that comes up a lot in the vegan forums I frequent. Many posts saying that they'd like to try going vegan, but they are black/greek/italian/indian/moroccan/southern/etc, and in their culture, meat and dairy is sooooo important culturally, so it is especially difficult for them! The thing is, these posts are SO common because these are characteristics that nearly ALL cultures share, but think that they are very unique in it? Truth is, like gallowmere is saying, eating meat as well as huge family feasts are extremely traditional and it will probably, in my opinion, take a few generations to adapt to our new very very different lifestyles (much more sedentary, food so much more available, so much more processed food and less home cooking, don't need to work for your food in terms of physical labour, don't rely on seasons, don't need to bulk up in case of a famine, etc etc etc).
  • tierraajon
    tierraajon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You all be sure to add me
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    tierraajon wrote: »
    I know it happens in the south and in other cultures, however you guys me being a AA female who has noticed this among people in my community. no offense you guys! But I love all the feedback!

It didn't look like any one was offended to me. It looked like people were pointing out how a lot of cultures are very similar to how you grew up.

I had a very different upbringing. My mother was VERY conscious about eating healthy. It was very different from how my friends ate. They had dessert regularly and higher fat meals. My mom served lean proteins and veggies. Dessert was a RARE thing at our house and it was usually something like whole wheat carrot cake. I can tell you that the way I was raised did not lead to a better understanding of how to eat. I certainly didn't learn anything about moderation because there was really nothing available to moderate.

BTW, I love southern cooking!! Several of my vacations have been to the south and I always look forward to the food. Fried catfish, BBQ, banana pudding, peanut butter pie, greens, corn bread - sooooooo good! The one thing I don't like is sweet tea! My mom always had unsweetened sun tea available and I just can't stand tea with sugar in it.