Smoothies and what for breakfast?

Options
leslienicole318
leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I love having smoothies for breakfast. I make one every morning and right now they're about 200 cals each but I'm gonna switch to a low cal yogurt or skim milk instead of regular 2% so it'll be a little lower in cals from now on. The only other thing I use is frozen fruit. What can I pair with my smoothie to keep me fuller longer? Something with lots of protein but not just eggs! I get tired of eggs several days in a row. Looking for several ideas, under 200 cals each! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Throw some soy in there.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't know about keeping it that low cal and actually adding something...I add protein powder and/or full fat yogurt (and unsweetened almond milk) to a banana and strawberries and it's somewhere in the 300 ish calorie range, depending on size of banana and if I do half or full serving of protein powder. Usually keeps me full till lunch at noon.
  • leslienicole318
    Options
    Thanks y'all! But I meant what I could have BESIDES the smoothie lol! Like, stuff to eat along with it. I'm sure I could make a filling smoothie but I like chewing something too lmao. I guess I should have been more clear on that! Thank y'all anyway though
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to have a smoothie for less than 300 calories and have it be much more than a handful of fruit, yogurt and water.

For something on the side though, you could try like 3 turkey sausage links (about 150 or so calories)
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you tried adding in chia seeds? I started to add them to my morning smoothie-shakes and it has vastly improved the "I'm good" feelings.

Otherwise, if your wanting something to satisfy the chewing aspect, and your calories allow, nibble on some fruit, belvita, a slice of toast...etc. Hope that helps.

ETA: Oh, and maybe add in some protein powder? Buy a vanilla, it's the easiest to mix with everything.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I sometimes have a small smoothie with fruit (about 100g of whatever is on hand), a little yogurt (45 g, preferably full fat) and a little protein powder (I vary this depending on my daily needs, usually about 6-12 g). With that, I will heat up half a light english muffin (50 calories, has some fiber, too) with some ham and cheese and honey mustard. Some sweet, some savory, something to chew on, wash it down with coffee. Sometimes I split this into breakfast and a mid-morning snack.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe some toast with either a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a spoon of jam and some greek yogurt cream cheese.
    Muffins with ham/turkey/bacon
    Granola bars or protein bars
    Cereal (I like dry cereal as a snack sometimes, though you can always add milk if that isn't for you)

Though I guess if you're looking for breakfast that totals 400 calories or less, you could opt out of the smoothie in favor of a bigger meal. Lately I've been eating oatmeal yogurt parfaits with fruit that hit around 400 calories or less, depending on what I put in them.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Eggs
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    here's some things I like on the side of a smoothie:
    • a piece of whole wheat toast with almond butter
    • a banana with almond butter
    • oats with fruit
    • oats with chia seeds or protein powder
    • special k with a teaspoon of flax seeds sprinkled on
    • cottage cheese with peaches

Also, have you heard of the 3 ingredient pancakes? Here's the link, I love it because you get fruit and protein without any carbs. And I top it with sugar free syrup and fruit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNDei0Lo2dg

Hope this helps!!! :blush:
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup flavored greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of a berry fruit [most often blueberries] and 1 Tbsp lemon juice, paired with a breakfast burrito. The cottage cheese mix is just 250 calories with 25g protein so it's decently filling. The lemon juice is there to add something savory to the dish [and thus form the flavor triangle of salty/sweet/savory]. It helps a lot with the flavor of low-fat and fat-free cottage cheese.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel pita or small ezekiel tortilla (80-100 cal, whole grain, several grams protein) plus 1T peanut butter. Half an ounce to one ounce walnuts (healthy fat, including Omega 3s). Lowfat (not zero fat) cottage cheese with fruit or veggies. Celery sticks with peanut butter or almond butter. Dates or prunes with a spoonful of ricotta or neufchatel cheese and an almond or walnut half. An apple with a tablespoon of nut butter. String cheese. Make some quinoa bites (Google it - yeah, it's got egg, but it's different from just eating egg), keep them in the freezer, and microwave to eat them. Mini crustless quiche (also eggs but different), also freezable. Quinoa (pre-prep) with raisins or other fruit. Overnight oats.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So your smoothies are just milk and fruit? If you need to chew to feel full, why not replace the smoothie with un-smoothied yogurt and fruit? I only have a smoothie when I'm not really hungry in the AM, but if I don't have anything I'll be starving by lunch. Protein powder, greens, and frozen fruit. Otherwise I have eggs, or yogurt, or oatmeal.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to 2 slices of bacon. That goes well with all of my other choices: baked apple topped with granola, a homemade blueberry pancake, oatmeal, or a couple of eggs. Like others, I prefer not to drink my breakfast.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes. Currently using the chocolate advocare. It's about 220cals. And keeps me full til my first snack,which is wither Greek yogurt , apple w/peanut buter, or some nuts. That holds me til my lunch hour
  • leslienicole318
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So your smoothies are just milk and fruit? If you need to chew to feel full, why not replace the smoothie with un-smoothied yogurt and fruit? I only have a smoothie when I'm not really hungry in the AM, but if I don't have anything I'll be starving by lunch. Protein powder, greens, and frozen fruit. Otherwise I have eggs, or yogurt, or oatmeal.
    Well I'm currently obsessed with smoothies! I'm about to start my period and a smoothie each morning is somehow helping those cravings to eat everything in sight, I guess since its so sweet and like a treat to satisfy the cravings but not unhealthy!
  • deoliv5325
    deoliv5325 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just do frozen strawberries and almond milk in my smoothie so I totally get you! Sometimes I eat a banana with it. Or I'll take one of those wheat rounds (just the top or bottom) and make a little pizza or add egg, ham, & a sprinkle of cheese. I eat it with a fork though. And then I drink water with that so among the 3 I'm full. Or I take a yogurt cup and mix protein powder in the yogurt. It just depends.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    An egg white, avocado and bacon or turkey/chicken sausage scramble? But it's eggs. Maybe substitute black beans. Unless you're putting protein in your smoothie, I'd definitely stick with a lower carb, higher protein/fat option. My go to for protein are Greek yogurt, cheese, eggs/egg whites, all the meat, shrimp and beans. Maybe a sort of Mexican scramble with cheese, beans, salsa and sausage?