Help!

Options
Tldavis3s
Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
Can anyone give me some veggie ideas for supper and snacks? I love veggies but I feel like I can never do anything different with them. I like beans, peas, spinach, carrots, potatos, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, and tomatos. But I feel like all I do is make a salad or steam and pepper them all. I need new interesting ways to cook veggies. I'm open to sides or entirely vegetarian meals. I know this is kinda vague I just feel like I'm in a veggie rut. :( I'm open to all veggies!

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant and tomato stacks were surprisingly yummy. The eggplant seemed a bit time consuming, so I also roast a lot of eggplant as written for this recipe at once, and put the eggplant on whatever the hell I want to all week.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You can make hummus or a mash with the beans.

My mother and my aunt always cooked mushrooms with green peas.

Artichoke hearts, onion and garlic is delicious with spinach. I also like spinach with a drizzle of soy sauce, honey and sesame seeds(Broccoli is great this way too).

I like carrots with butter and parsley. My friend like to glaze her carrots with a little sugar or honey.

I really like roasted veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots are delicious roasted together or alone. Cauliflower is my favorite roasted right now.

Potatoes are great baked and stuffed with BBQ chicken or chili. I also like them mashed or shredded for hash-browns.

Kale is great in soup, sauteed, massaged for salad and baked as a chip. It gets crispy and light as air but it is best eaten right away.

Again broccoli is great roasted. But it is also great steamed, blanched, in soup or raw in salads.

My mom would boil cauliflower, drain and melt cheese over it. I love it mashed.

I love bell peppers and onions! make a great side for Italian sausage. I also like bell pepper stuffed and baked with hamburger and rice inside.

Tomatoes are great broiled with a little cheese and bacon on top. I love tomato, cucumber and onion salad.

Here is a couple recipe links:

Broiled Tomatoes
    Microwave Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
    Broccoli with Sweet Soy Glaze
    Stuffed Green Peppers
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like lemon and garlic on broccoli, for eggplant I have sprinkled with Chinese 5 spice or Cajun spices to give it a different flavour, or balsamic vinegar (last few mins in the oven) on roasted peppers/red onion/eggplant/courgettes/tomato or a mix. Garlic and ginger chopped and cooked with pak choi or choi sum (or similar) and sometimes with soy sauce is a nice flavour. Sweet potato wedges with a little oil and a crumbled stock cube (or powder stock like bullion) are good too!

My ultimate favourite for peas (frozen or fresh) is cooked and then stirred with light Philadelphia (or similar) and mint sauce. Just a spoon or each so not kcal massive but I love the taste. I've also added stock cubes to boiled veggies like carrots.

• dragonrider6
    dragonrider6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Broccoli with parmesan
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Start roasting them! Toss the potatos, broccoli, cauliflower, with a little olive oil, roast at high heat (400 or more) until golden brown with crunchy bits, then add salt - fabulous!! You can make kale chips similarly. You can saute the others in your post also with a little oil and turn them into stirfry. Roast tomatoes till they are wrinkly and they become so sweet - roasting really does add a new dimension to the veg because the sugars in them caramelize.