Pre workout drinks... Opinions???

Options
I am looking for a pre workout drink that will boost my energy to help me get through my gym class workouts... Kettlebell, spin, kickboxing etc...

I know some don't work so I am asking for advice on what works.

My stats: 48 year old, 5'3", 188 lbs, losing about 1.5 lbs a week.

Replies

• broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sure someone is going to say "blah blah waste of money." But if it gets you in the gym... I just would only use them on days you just don't feel like working out, becoming dependent to the point you can't work out without it is a negative to me.

Now for days my mind just isn't there.. I use bullnox and all the flavors they have are pretty good. Its not a super packed stimulant pre workout but it gives you some insane mental focus.

Days I really need that energetic boost I shoot for MTS ruckus this is an insane amount of caffiene and I forget what ingredient in it but its a slow releasing caff so you continuously have energy throughout a workout.

At the end of the day you more than likely will have to go through a trial and error. Go to your sports nutrition store and ask for pre workout samples. They usually have them for free. Some people don't like beta-alanine which is in ALOT of workouts. Just an example of one ingredient. Of course you could opt for some plain jane caffeine pills aswell.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why I want a pre workout drink is for an occasional use for a boost... Thank you
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The main active ingredient in pre-workouts for energy is caffeine. If you really think you need it just some strong coffee and/or a caffeine pill.

Not as sexy, but gets the job done and save a ton of money.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I personally love taking a pre-workout but I don't understand why you'd need it for a cardio class......I use it so I'm alert and focused when there is 200lbs on my back and I just had a 10 hour workday teaching children under 5 years old
  • KetoTeacher
    Options
    It was just a thought... So they will not work for cardio classes?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I mean...What is your definition of "work"? They will boost your energy sure but doesn't that kin of class already do that for you?
  • KetoTeacher
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I mean...What is your definition of "work"? They will boost your energy sure but doesn't that kin of class already do that for you?

Sometimes I just don't have the energy after working all day, I still need to go workout.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use the amped line of products. Love it. The amped power gives me a ton of energy.
  • LadyLuckAJ
    LadyLuckAJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pill (Walmart brand), C4, C4 ripped, beachbody Performance Energize....I have used all to help me (at different times during my journey) since I work out first thing in the morning prior to breakfast and work. All work best for ME for Cardio or lifting. If I am working out after work I will drink a Monster and/or eat something and go.

However, if you don't like the tingling feeling (more so in C4 Products), then the caffeine pill is the way to go.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If the OP really wants to take a pre-workout, she may want to check with her doctor first. Most pre-workouts contain caffeine and/or other ingredients which will increase heart rate which is already going to be high during a cardio intense workout. Given the age and weight, might not want to artificially increasing heart rate at this time.
  • KetoTeacher
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and concern.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with PWs. I've used them on and off for years. Most people cycle on and off, after a month or so I'd get headaches and other side effects. Most importantly, there's a lot of research out there of the potential impact to liver function. Just think of all the B vitamins and other crap they cram in there. Many ingredients in PWs are, on their own, known to cause liver damage in high dose consistent use. Last year, I was using NO Explode for about a month and went to a routine physical. My liver enzymes were quite high and the doc was concerned. I quit the PW and eventually the levels came down.

Do what you want, but at a minimum, consider not taking it too often. Be even more cautious if you drink or take Tylenol since those also affect the liver. Now I have a double espresso when I get up and have enough energy to get in a good workout. All I'm saying is you could use crack to get a crazy good workout, but obviously many people would agree it's not worth the risk. Not everything in your local supplement store is good for your body and most is grossly under tested and relatively new so no one knows the long-term affects.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Or if I am working out after dinner, BCAAs before/during the workout.
  • MistyWaits1988
    MistyWaits1988 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been using C4 for a few months on and off during my journey. I have to workout after working all day so it helps give that little boost to get in the gym and stay focused. My favorite is the strawberry margarita flavor :) Do what feels right to you.
  • snehad123
    snehad123 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I too like C4 pre-workouts.. They tend to last longer.