snack ideas and suggestions needed please

Options
amyers3312
amyers3312 Posts: 17 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have recently joined here and have a question I am not sure if it would fit her or in the nutrition category. I have been working out regularly 5 days a week for about 2 years. Up until about 6 weeks ago it was mainly cardio followed body weight circuits . I wasn't seeing the positive results i was hoping for (slow but steady weight loss and toning) so i have started working with a trainer. I still do cardio 2 days a week and weight training \HIIT the other 3. I keep my rest days active. However i have noticed that since I added the weights and HIIT I am having a hard time controlling my diet. Because of schedules I usually workout about 5pm for abot 60-90 minutes. The issues with food start when I wake up. About 30 minutes after getting up I am super hungry, weak, shaky, and anxious. I have found that if i have a blueberry muffin i start too feel better but am still hungry. I know it is not the best choice but proteins\oatmeal \ don't. Seem to get rid of the shaky nauseous feeling at all. I try to eat -most days- a high protein lunch or a salad with protein added. Most of the time after that I don't feel hungry at all and have a hard time making myself eat. Then when i finish my workout i am back to weak, shaky, and feel nauseous. If I eat a snack at that point I am fine, but have to "Force" myself to eat a healthy (or any) dinner. I have been careful to make sure I am not too far under my calorie goals ( I don't weigh my food so I add about 300-400 to what the diary says for my personal tracking). Any suggestions on what some good low calorie, portable snacks and breakfast ideas that are filling would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• cmcqueary79
    cmcqueary79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg Sandwich for breakfast. 1 large egg 3 whites with tomato and Canadian Bacon on whole grain bread. Fills me up and tastes great. Not bad on calories either.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If you're shaky and nauseated, your blood sugar is low and you need some quick digesting sugars along with something bulky to keep you going the rest of the day.

I'm hypoglycemic. Not only do I feel that way in the morning, but pretty much after any outing in which I didn't remember snacks I'll get sick and sometimes faint.

Apples, bananas, and other fibrous fruit with some good bulk to them are good "I just woke up" items to eat. You should round this out by eating a complete meal that fulfills the rest of your plate. This means an equal amount of vegetables, grains, and legumes. Eat the fruit first though. It'll stop you from crashing.

I really like savoury oatmeal. Quick cooking red lentils in a pot with rolled oats, vegetable broth, and kale/spinach topped with salsa and avocado? Mmmm...so good. You could also do a smoothie that's bulked with oatmeal/granola, and a plate of scrambled tofu with greens. <3

Portable snacks? Peeled, chopped carrots, apples, bananas, etc. They're portable by design.

Hope this helps! <3