Recommendation for a good but inexpensive pedometer?

Options

Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love my little $12 Sportline pedometer from walmart. It counts steps, miles, active time, and gives a calorie estimate You input your own personal stats to calculate it all. I clip it to my undies so no one even knows I'm wearing one. It doesn't connect to any gadgets or tech - It's just a simple pedometer. I manually log my walking as 2.0-2.5 speed using the active time my pedometer gives me, so I don't overestimate on calories burned. From my experience, it has been pretty accurate on steps and active time, which is all I care about anyway. Also, when I'm bike riding, I clip it to my shoe instead and it at least tracks the active time accurately.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness - when I type Fitbit Zip on Amazon just about one million things show up. I wouldn't know which one is the actual product to by to save my life.
    If anyone can provide a link, it would be greatly appreciated.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Magenta/dp/B0095PZHRC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468510258&sr=8-3&keywords=fitbit+zip

Thank you, shadow!

Do you happen to know whether the FitBit Zip can also be placed into a band-wrist and worn like that or does it only work by clipping it on you somewhere?

I am thinking I would prefer to wear the pedometer on the wrist but I suppose in my bra should be OK too. I am just afraid it might be noticeable from underneath and might ruin the outfit.

I DO intend to wear it every day so I know where I stand steps-wise.

Clips to waistband, pocket or bra ...isn't visible with C-cup cleavage ...

If you wear a wristband, no bracelets but you could get a flex if that's your preference
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex, I think it is around $100. It is well worth the money, in my opinion. It doesn't have heart rate, but it relatively accurately counts my steps and distance, gives me a good idea of total calories burned, syncs with MFP, etc.

I'm not sure that 10K steps is the threshold between sedentary and active, it may actually be lower. I think 10K steps is a good target for many people to make sure they are getting adequate exercise, but if you are already exercising an hour a day, then I'm not sure you need a pedometer to tell you that you are doing enough. They are a handy motivational tool, fun if you like to do challenges with other users, but for me, the greatest benefit was the ability to sync with MFP to then use the data from FitBit to calculate my exercise adjustments more accurately than what I was previously logging into MFP.

• wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Oh, goodness - when I type Fitbit Zip on Amazon just about one million things show up. I wouldn't know which one is the actual product to by to save my life.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Magenta/dp/B0095PZHRC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468510258&sr=8-3&keywords=fitbit+zip

Thank you, shadow!

Do you happen to know whether the FitBit Zip can also be placed into a band-wrist and worn like that or does it only work by clipping it on you somewhere?

I am thinking I would prefer to wear the pedometer on the wrist but I suppose in my bra should be OK too. I am just afraid it might be noticeable from underneath and might ruin the outfit.

If you wear a wristband, no bracelets but you could get a flex if that's your preference

You mean a Fitbit Flex? I assume this is another type of Fitbit, correct?

• WinoGelato
    Options

Thank you, shadow!

You mean a Fitbit Flex? I assume this is another type of Fitbit, correct?

Correct. It is the wrist worn version.

Have you taken a look at the FitBit website?

https://www.fitbit.com/store
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pen & Paper. Pretty cheap. The accuracy is determined by the user.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    I love my little $12 Sportline pedometer from walmart. It counts steps, miles, active time, and gives a calorie estimate You input your own personal stats to calculate it all. I clip it to my undies so no one even knows I'm wearing one. It doesn't connect to any gadgets or tech - It's just a simple pedometer. I manually log my walking as 2.0-2.5 speed using the active time my pedometer gives me, so I don't overestimate on calories burned. From my experience, it has been pretty accurate on steps and active time, which is all I care about anyway. Also, when I'm bike riding, I clip it to my shoe instead and it at least tracks the active time accurately.

Thanks! I am looking for the same thing - a simple pedometer. I don't need something that syncs, tracks sleep, or anything except count steps. I will look at this one.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am not into digital trackers.

My ancient 'free with cereal' old fashioned pedometer gets clipped on my knickers when I am out getting my pace up for walking a 10km race, otherwise I really don't care about how many steps I do. It is accurate with step, distance and calorie burn (once I have subtracted NEAT).
    I did try a fit bit for a couple of months. It gave me so few calories I would have been constantly hangry.

Cheers, h.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Ok. I got the Fitbit Zip.

I hope it's worth it. :)
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    There are tons of free apps that do this.

Would you mind giving me a concrete example? I don't know anything about step trackers and I tend to be very low tech.

Also, if it's an app....would I have to have the phone on me all day? It's kind of large for carrying it around all day.
    Run keeper is a great app and easy to use. The newer iPhones come with a Health app. Lots of freebies out there.
    Ok. I got the Fitbit Zip.

I hope it's worth it. :)
    Guess I should've read on! Enjoy your fitbit.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My first pedometer was the Sportline brand from Walmart. I think I paid about $14. You set your height, weight and stride length. No syncing required. It worked just fine for me. I have a Fit Bit Charge HR now and I can't imagine going back to a regular pedometer.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and tips!

After some bumps in the road with the setup, the Zip is on me recording away.
    It is almost midnight now, my steps for the day will draw to an end soon but I am not sure what the Zip will do tomorrow morning when I pick it back up and clip it on.
    For example, I am at 374 steps right now. Will it start from zero tomorrow or continue to count from 374?

How do I reset it to zero for a new day? This is something that is still unclear both for me and my husband - who is much more techie than I am.

Also, I have a bit of a hunch that this Zip is overestimating steps - a little bit.
    How did are users find it? Underestimating, overestimating or quite accurate?

Thank you again!

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and tips!

After some bumps in the road with the setup, the Zip is on me recording away.
    It is almost midnight now, my steps for the day will draw to an end soon but I am not sure what the Zip will do tomorrow morning when I pick it back up and clip it on.
    For example, I am at 374 steps right now. Will it start from zero tomorrow or continue to count from 374?

How do I reset it to zero for a new day? This is something that is still unclear both for me and my husband - who is much more techie than I am.

Also, I have a bit of a hunch that this Zip is overestimating steps - a little bit.
    How did are users find it? Underestimating, overestimating or quite accurate?

Thank you again!

All Fit Bits reset to zero at midnight :smile: I had issues with my Zip. I felt like it was overestimating my steps. Not sure how as I had it clipped to my waist, but I had a feeling it was. I compared it to my old pedometer and it was reading higher steps than my old one. Which one was more accurate? Who knows.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fitbit zip is the way to go. Battery included. Keeps me moving!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fitbit

Will set to zero overnight

You need to load up your stride length and check time zones
    Synch to MFP through MFP, enable negative adjustments
    Make sure goals are the same on both MFP and Fitbit

Over time it will get more accurate but to start with it's going to extrapolate your steps from what you've already done
    You will see a readjustment next day for a while..just try not to overeat if you are an early mover

You can also set up an account on trendweight.com which will auto synch from Fitbit (and MFP via Fitbit) to give you weight over time graphs that are useful
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'll second the recommendation for the Omron HJ-112. I bought mine several years ago and I recall it being inexpensive (around $20). However, I just looked at that model on Amazon and it is now selling for $70+. I'm not sure why there has been such a severe price hike, but I will say that if I lost mine, I would fork over the $70+ to replace it.

It counts all steps, but it further delineates "aerobic" steps (steps taken for a sustained length of time and pace). It also estimates the calorie burn (which I ignore) and it translates the step count into a mileage estimate.

It's a handy little gadget.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sports Authority is still going out of business. If you have one near you, stop in. I got a Wego Spot, which is pretty accurate in tracking steps and sleep for half off. Health trackers were one of the items they still had a number of. Better yet, call first and see if they have anything left.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Fitbit

Will set to zero overnight

You need to load up your stride length and check time zones
    Synch to MFP through MFP, enable negative adjustments
    Make sure goals are the same on both MFP and Fitbit

Over time it will get more accurate but to start with it's going to extrapolate your steps from what you've already done
    You will see a readjustment next day for a while..just try not to overeat if you are an early mover

You can also set up an account on trendweight.com which will auto synch from Fitbit (and MFP via Fitbit) to give you weight over time graphs that are useful

All of this. I have a flex not a zip and it may overestimate a bit, but what matters is that I am consistent and use it in a way that helps me reach my goals.

OP you're going to want to give it a couple of weeks, I find, like Sue here, that the Fitbit got more accurate over time with predicting my calorie burns. I got caught up in trying to dissect all the numbers and understand why MFP and Fitbit didn't match perfectly. What I found was as long as I had both systems set up with the same data and same goals and just used MFP to track my calories, then they were directionally correct and helped me progress, rather than hindered.

Also there is a FitBit user group on these forums which has FAQs and a lot of helpful information, you can find people to do challenges with, etc
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    If anyone is still looking for a cheap clip on, I have one of these that I used for a while before fitbits and the like came out. I still put it in my 4 year old son's cargo pants on a occasion just to see how much that boy moves! (it's a lot) It works great and with the cover the button doesn't get accidentally reset which I've had with freebies.

http://www.bodytronics.com/p/prostep.html
  • wisdomfromyou
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am not trying to sync with MFP or anything - I just check the number of steps at the end of the day.

I still feel it is overestimating a bit but I can always subtract a little at the end of the day, I guess.

My goal is not so much weight loss, per, as it is blood sugar lowering.

Both of my parents are diabetics (father more like pre-diabetic) and my fasting blood sugar has kind of creeped up in the 90's lately. It does fall into the 80's after I exercise but the morning fasting blood sugar is into the low-mid 90's - and this is something I am not at all crazy about, even if it still qualifies as normal from a medical establishment standpoint.

I am trying desperately to find a way to prevent getting this terrible disease a decade or so from now, given my family history.
    Last year I weighed about 20 lbs less but I had lost that weight artificially, first through a serious bout of pneumonia and then through too much calorie reduction for a while.
    I put almost everything back on during a few months of stress at work when there was no more time for "nice eating" and exercise - just stressing and working like crazy.

I hope that if I lose the weight again and move more, my fasting blood sugar will go down in the 80's - but I am not sure this is even possible. I am yet to see a clear guarantee that losing weight lowers blood sugar.

Plus I worry so much about mt face deflating with more weight loss.
    A far as esthetics go, I like my body just fine the way it is now (profile picture). This would probably be too fluffy for most tastes today (my kids call me "squishy mom" :-) )...; but I, personally, am not necessarily crazy about the tight, super-fit, muscles-poking-through look and I don't fancy having it.
    BUT: The memo from the Health World is telling me that it is exactly the "tight/thinner" look that will keep me away from disease.

So I hope the Fit Bit will help me move more every day - in addition to that hour of actual exercise, which I find really taxing if I have to do it every darn day.
    But it looks like that is the only way to lower my blood sugar into the 80's during the day.

Yikes.

Thank you all for all the great tips and explanations post-purchase.