ectomorph body type . need to gain.

Options
Im 23 and really skinny. I always thought I eat enough. (More than enough) but never could gain. Trying the calorie count way of fitnesspal. Lets see how things work out. Add me up and we can share success stories later ;)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Those body type classifications aren't actually a thing. You'll find that when you start logging you really don't eat as much as you think. You probably also move more than you realize.
  • aadil1408
    aadil1408 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Its been only 5 days and I feel im eating alot more than earlier and I want to continue the same and see the improvement before blaming my bmr :)@usmcmp
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Most people who are lean or skinny eat A LOT less than they think. Or at least a lot less than they need if they aren't gaining weight. Eat a whole large pizza everyday along with your meals and tell me if you don't gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Eat the pizza like @ninerbuff stated, along with other calorie dense food, and counting your calories to meet your goal can certainly help you out. People that fit your category easliy overestimate the amount they eat and those that have weight to loose usually underestimate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    aadil1408 wrote: »
    Yeah. Its been only 5 days and I feel im eating alot more than earlier and I want to continue the same and see the improvement before blaming my bmr :)@usmcmp

get a food scale and weigh all your foods and accurately track everything.

You do not have a "fast metabolism" you are either highly active, or are not eating as much as you think you are..

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this accounts for age, weight, height, sex, activity level, etc.

Eat 500 calories more for +1lb a week. Weight will fluctuate depending on many factors, but just keep eating 500 calories over your TDEE. In a month, you should gain an average of 4 lbs. If you don't, add more calories and test again next month.

Those who have a hard time gaining overestimate how much they are actually eating (just like those who say they cannot lose weight underestimate their intake).

TLDR; Eat more, be consistent, go for +1 lb per week (while exercising). Any more than that and you build up too much fat. If you don't gain +1lb per week, increase caloric intake by +200 until you reach it.
  • jbradyho
    jbradyho Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. New to this, too. I'm a 31yr old, 5'2" female and have never weighed more than 104lbs. Last 8-10 years I've been around 95-98lbs. Just in the last 2 weeks, I've started weight based strength exercises (mostly lower body) and have started calorie counting and increasing healthy foods. Although it's not noticeable to me, I've gained 4lbs in 2 weeks! Pretty excited! Hoping to get to 115lbs and be fit. Just completed a 100 squat workout yesterday that didn't kill me, so clearly progress is being made. Keep it up guys! We can do this!
  • jbradyho
    jbradyho Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ps. Ensure plus drinks help me make sure I hit my calorie intake for the day, too. I highly recommend!!
  • dadipedromoves
    dadipedromoves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    are you lifting bro? you also need to do strength training to help you gain weight.
    i have the same problem as you are, weighing 135 lbs for my 5'7" height,
    after 2 months of lifting weights and eating heavy, i am now 147,
    but trying to be 154, all with a clean bulk as they say :)
  • vperspective
    vperspective Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same story here, 5'6" @ 134 lb (started at 124 lb 2 months ago).
    I'm currently lifting but the hardest part is definitely the eating.
    Trying to get the right macro nutrients to gain weight. Body fat % is definitely going up which I know is unavoidable, I just don't want the belly to blow out. Anyway good luck all :)
  • amzblitz
    amzblitz Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Eat big u will get big

Eat clean you will get ripped

Eat junk you won't fit in the trunk
  • ADWhitmore
    ADWhitmore Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you; and from the looks of your comments, I'm not eating as much as I think I am. I guess guys like us gotta pig-out just a little more, which is NOOOO problem to me cause I love to eat...lol.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    amzblitz wrote: »
    Eat clean.......

Define that please?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Eat big u will get big

complete and total woo woo
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eat big u will get big

Yes.

No and no.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First of all, you have to realise it will take time. But you have time on your side :)

Alot of whats been written above is true for the most part, but if you want to keep it simple, then start by following some basic rules.

First, work out what your Daily Calorie Intake should be for your age, height, sex - e.g. 2500 per day.

Now if you wanted to lose weight, you would do this by reducing your intake by 500 per day in order to lose approx 1lb per week. But if you want to gain, then you need to increase. There are plenty of guides online to give you a more accurate figure of how much you should increase by in order to gain.

Secondly, you need to train at least 5-6 times a week. A large part of that Training must involve Resistance work (Weight Training), alongside a good portion of Fitness (Cardio/Functional) training.

Alot of people will say that you need to train on a "Day on, Day off" system to allow for rest and recovery, and while I agree with that to a certain extent, you have to remember that in order for your body to change, you have to get it to an overload thresh-hold as much as possible, so that you force it to adapt. "Overload = Adaptation"

After that, you need to ensure that you are developing with a Whole Body approach. Use compound exercises, rather than just single muscle specific. Cross train as much as you can - Weights, Swimming, Running, Circuits, Walking, Hiking, Climbing, Jumping etc etc

And finally your Diet. Make sure you are eating a good Balanced or Build Diet. Balanced basically means 50% Carb, 30% Fat, 20% Protein. Build means you Increase the protein. You have to focus on your macros on a daily basis.

This is by no means an in depth program, but its a starting point. Start with the basics, research eating and training methods, and stay the course. You will see results in time.

REPS Certified Level 3 Personal Trainer
    REPS Certified Level 3 Group Outdoor Fitness Instructor
    ZUU Instructor
    Punch Instructor
    Retired UK Armed Forces
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    First of all, you have to realise it will take time. But you have time on your side :)

Alot of whats been written above is true for the most part, but if you want to keep it simple, then start by following some basic rules.

First, work out what your Daily Calorie Intake should be for your age, height, sex - e.g. 2500 per day.

Now if you wanted to lose weight, you would do this by reducing your intake by 500 per day in order to lose approx 1lb per week. But if you want to gain, then you need to increase. There are plenty of guides online to give you a more accurate figure of how much you should increase by in order to gain.

Secondly, you need to train at least 5-6 times a week. A large part of that Training must involve Resistance work (Weight Training), alongside a good portion of Fitness (Cardio/Functional) training.

Alot of people will say that you need to train on a "Day on, Day off" system to allow for rest and recovery, and while I agree with that to a certain extent, you have to remember that in order for your body to change, you have to get it to an overload thresh-hold as much as possible, so that you force it to adapt. "Overload = Adaptation"

After that, you need to ensure that you are developing with a Whole Body approach. Use compound exercises, rather than just single muscle specific. Cross train as much as you can - Weights, Swimming, Running, Circuits, Walking, Hiking, Climbing, Jumping etc etc

And finally your Diet. Make sure you are eating a good Balanced or Build Diet. Balanced basically means 50% Carb, 30% Fat, 20% Protein. Build means you Increase the protein. You have to focus on your macros on a daily basis.

This is by no means an in depth program, but its a starting point. Start with the basics, research eating and training methods, and stay the course. You will see results in time.

Overall this isn't horrible information, but it's not necessarily accurate either.

First, he wants to gain weight and stated that in his OP.

Second, training even 3 days per week is going to yield excellent benefits. Since the OP states he struggles to gain weight suggesting that he do cardio or "functional" training is probably not the best idea. He doesn't need help burning calories since he can't eat to sustain growth and his VO2Max will increase with lifting anyway.

Finally, those are some randomly specific macros. 20% protein could be a lot or a little depending on the amount of calories someone needs to eat for bulking or cutting. It's actually better to suggest goals based on his stats (like body weight or lean body mass) than a random percentage.