Is porridge a good breakfast or should I steer clear of the

Options
carbs!! Interested to hear different views. Do you think it would be better to eat something less carb heavy?

Replies

• Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have started to eat Oats so simple for breakfast as it was suggested to me to help feel full up for longer and I have to admit it does fill me up more and I don't attack my lunch now until lunchtime.

So I feel that having these carbs for breakfast does help me not feel hungry and has stopped me snacking between meals.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Depends what you would eat instead bread would be worse, yogurt and fruit would be about the same.
    I think it comes down to your view on processed foods really.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oats keep you going longer,fill you up more and are really healthy...i have them from time to time and they are super yummy!!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's a great breakfast, especially if you find a way to add some protein to it. I soak my oats overnight in light soy milk and chocolate protein powder, then in the morning I add a banana, some almonds and peanut butter. I find it keeps me full from 8 AM until at least lunchtime, sometimes later than that.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's healthy for sure but for me personally, didn't fill me up til lunch. I need the protein - 2 hard boiled eggs keeps me going. But it's personal preference - most would advocate a mix - so your porridge plus maybe some protein from nuts, or add a bit if Greek yoghurt or something.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of it at the moment because it's so cold here in Aust atm, A bowl of uncle tobys oats including milk is about half the calories of toast with peanut butter , about half the carbs and about half the fat!

It also keeps me full for so long! I eat breakfast at 6:30 am and lunch at 1pm and don't snack inbetween, but if i have toast I'm much more likely to snack! (and I work in a cookie store so getting hungry during work can use up all my calories very quickly!)
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's a great breakfast, especially if you find a way to add some protein to it. I soak my oats overnight in light soy milk and chocolate protein powder, then in the morning I add a banana, some almonds and peanut butter. I find it keeps me full from 8 AM until at least lunchtime, sometimes later than that.

ooooooo peanute butter in oats? il have to try this out :)
  • sheer_abulous
    Options
    Porridge is great for keeping you full until lunch time as it's slow release. It is a fair amount of carbs but it's better to eat more carbs in the morning as you've got more chance of burning off the calories than if you ate carbs at night!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat a big bowl of oatmeal each morning - I mix it with a carrot, some cinnamon and have just started adding two egg whites to get some extra protein.... I also add some yoghurt and berries - and it takes me through to about 12:30 (I have breakfast at about 9)

On gym days I will also add peanut butter or almond butter - yum, yum, yum...

I think it is good to eat my bigger carb meals earlier in the day....
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to roll with the porridge, I think I'll go back to it soon xx
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    iv just got back to eating oats, i start my day with a low carb protein shake and a banana and usually have porridge about 10:30....i have a bowl of it infront of me as we speak.

I find that it doesnt use up much of my calorie allowance and fills me up till lunch, thats probably because i have it as a morning snack instead of an 8am breakfast.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    oats + whey protein + natural peanut butter = great balanced breakfast. tasty as :smile:
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Porridge is great for keeping you full until lunch time as it's slow release. It is a fair amount of carbs but it's better to eat more carbs in the morning as you've got more chance of burning off the calories than if you ate carbs at night!

Totally agree with this. I have porridge every morning. I use mostly water to make it up but add a small amount of skimmed milk makes it creamy. I add Linwoods milled flaxseed/gojo berries and some maple syrup to add flavour. I then have a hard boiled egg after it. Totally fills me up til lunch. I'm having a pink lady apple as I type now which will last me til lunch.

Love porridge and way better to have your carbs are brekkie/lunch than later in the day.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great breakfast. Carbs aren't 'bad,' you just have to choose the right ones.
    I eat my oats a little differently... 1/2 cup oats (or 3/4 if it is a workout day) with 1 whole egg and 2-3 egg whites, half a scoop of protein powder cooked as a big pancake. I am addicted to eating my oats like this every morning :)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love my porridge! Have it 5-6 times a week and it totally keeps me filled up until lunch, which is great, as I do my workout during the morning.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    oats + whey protein + natural peanut butter = great balanced breakfast. tasty as :smile:

THIS is a winner for sure

Had an interesting chat the other day with a friend of mine who has Type 1 Diabetes - and therefore has to track his carbs very carfeully. I always thought oats were very high carb but he was saying they are not actually carb dense i.e. you need to eat them in greater volume to get the same amount of carbs than other foods. Which I found surprising.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I eat between 50-75 carbs for breakfast. Good source of energy to start your day. BUT you want it to be a good balance of carbs proteins and fats. Not just carbs.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    i have Uncle toby's milk oats (still 100% rolled oats, just creamier texture.) i make it up with 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 milk. heat it up to the texture i want then add a Tsp of protein powder, mine is divine chocolate flavour..... tastes delicious!! I use to have it with a dollop of jam but that was back in the day when mum made it for me and i didn't know about calories
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Porridge is a great brekky - I cook 1/2 cup rolled oats with 2/3 cup water and about 100ml skim milk then add a chopped up pear or apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon. A teaspoon of LSA mix is a great addition too.
    I've never tried peanut butter in porridge, I must give that a go.
    There was also a great thread with savoury porridge recipes a while ago, if you search you'll find it.
    I think the only trap with porridge is those instant sachets with flavours, better to stick to real oats and add your own flavours.