Anyone else doing C25K?

Options

Replies

• 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I keep having an issue of the app "restarting" or moving to the next section, even when I "lock" the app. Does anyone have any hints for getting the app to stay "on"? I've tried tucking the iPhone in my sports bra, putting it in a pocket at my hip, zipping it into a water bottle/accessory holder-- all such placements failed. Even if I hold my phone, unless I'm concentrating intently on where I am holding it, I somehow manage to skip ahead or quit.

I didn't mind this issue until recently when I began the long jogs. I just finished week 6 and hate my log stats for day 3. Why? Because the first time I ran W6D3, the app skipped 3 minutes into the running portion. I was unphased and started again only to have it skip just a few minutes into running. It happened a third time after maybe 2 minutes. I was at my wits end (and already winded) before I could get through the whole 22 minutes without a skip/quit. The second time I ran it, I got through 18 minutes before taking a sip of water and ending up skipping. I just couldn't face starting from scratch so I ran 5 minutes without the app and have been in a foul mood.

All solutions appreciated.

• jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    4jamaica wrote: »
    I keep having an issue of the app "restarting" or moving to the next section, even when I "lock" the app. Does anyone have any hints for getting the app to stay "on"? I've tried tucking the iPhone in my sports bra, putting it in a pocket at my hip, zipping it into a water bottle/accessory holder-- all such placements failed. Even if I hold my phone, unless I'm concentrating intently on where I am holding it, I somehow manage to skip ahead or quit.

I didn't mind this issue until recently when I began the long jogs. I just finished week 6 and hate my log stats for day 3. Why? Because the first time I ran W6D3, the app skipped 3 minutes into the running portion. I was unphased and started again only to have it skip just a few minutes into running. It happened a third time after maybe 2 minutes. I was at my wits end (and already winded) before I could get through the whole 22 minutes without a skip/quit. The second time I ran it, I got through 18 minutes before taking a sip of water and ending up skipping. I just couldn't face starting from scratch so I ran 5 minutes without the app and have been in a foul mood.

All solutions appreciated.

There's lots of different apps for C25K out there depending on whether you want music, motivational chatter etc so maybe if the one you are using is playing up then try another, I use zen labs for C25K and set runkeeper going at the same time so my stats are uploaded from runkeeper to mfp etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    slow down.

I started c25k a few times and every time I felt I needed to repeat a week I got disheartened and gave up.

slow down.

so I read a few tips and the one that stuck was to slow down

slow down

going slow got over that mental block of not having a walk break, even though my actual speed was no more than walking speed (shorter strides gave it the running feel)

slow down

I now run twice a week for forty minutes non-stop, and longer at weekends - and that's another tip - to run faster you need to run further - the further you are able to run the better your aerobic strength, the faster you run ad infinitum.

slow down

if ever I feel I want to stop and walk, I don't, I just SLOW DOWN

• DarkNightBrightDays
    DarkNightBrightDays Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just attempted W1D1 and didn't get all the way through probably shouldn't have taken the dog for a long walk first. I definitely need some new trainers or my heels are going to regret it lol. Also, I think I burned more cals trying to get into my damn sports bra than the running :wink:
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if there's an app specifically for 5K (and the other distances.) In other words, an app that will notify you and give you your time at exactly the 5K mark. I

I know that MapMyRun has splits you can look at after the fact, but I would like to get feedback right away.

I suppose I could map out a 5K in my neighborhood, but dang, isn't technology supposed to do this for me? Lol.
  • TMLfan1982
    TMLfan1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if there's an app specifically for 5K (and the other distances.) In other words, an app that will notify you and give you your time at exactly the 5K mark. I

I know that MapMyRun has splits you can look at after the fact, but I would like to get feedback right away.

I suppose I could map out a 5K in my neighborhood, but dang, isn't technology supposed to do this for me? Lol.

I use the Nike running app. I receive verbal notifications at each km with distance, time and avg. time/km.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I finished this a few weeks ago I struggled with week 5 but I carried on didn't bother repeating any just pushed on with I also found it easier when changed to running out door
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    TMLfan1982 wrote: »
    I use the Nike running app. I receive verbal notifications at each km with distance, time and avg. time/km.

I are dumb. It just occurred to me that I can probably switch MapMy... to km rather than miles. Duh.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I was already running so started at week 5 and couldn't quite do the last longer stretch so have stepped back for two weeks and will move back ahead once the week 4 runs are solid. That sounded wrong, LOL. I mean once I can do those at a reasonable pace.

Slow progress is fine with me. I've had injuries before from increasing too fast, and no desire to repeat that.
  • TracyMKL
    TracyMKL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started the C25K program yesterday, and am alternating with long walks on my "free" days. I find that just moving makes me want to come home and eat a pear, rather than a slab of cheese... so here's hoping ;)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I dropped out of c25k earlier this year due to you guessed it week 5 day 3. I'm now running 4 miles every other morning with a plan to increase to 5+ soon.

Week 1 day 1 sucked hard. I was gasping for air and barely finished. The wind came quickly though and once I was over the psycological hit of week 5 day 3's 20 minute run I realized that I could easily continue running. I just went straight to a 30 minute run and worked on increasing my milage from there.

I did it at 280 lbs you can do it too.
  • ku1014
    ku1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Did anyone do couch to 5k on a tread mill or does everyone do it outside? I've tried three times and every time I stop right before week 5. I was wondering what is a good speed on the tread mill?
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Completed w4 d2 today. I was never interested in completing the program, just always did a random day to keep from getting too bored with the treadmill, elliptical & bike at the gym. But once I signed up for a charity race in September I got motivated to work the program. While I can't see myself as a runner, I'd be real pleased not to have to walk the race
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ku1014 wrote: »
    Did anyone do couch to 5k on a tread mill or does everyone do it outside? I've tried three times and every time I stop right before week 5. I was wondering what is a good speed on the tread mill?

I did most of my C25K runs outside but did a couple on the treadmill. I think I used 8kmh for the running bits and
    5kmh for the walking bits.
  • rikkejn
    rikkejn Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I did all of it on the treadmills as I was living in a hot, humid country at the time. After a bit of adjustment where I started too high, I started at around 7.5km/h and at the end around 8-8.5km/h. It is very slow, but you can work on speed later. It really made a difference in terms of getting over the tough parts to just slow down. For me, just getting through it was a challenge. But proud to say I am still running two years later, so it really was a watershed for me as I had never stuck with any exercise before.

• kuksabs
    kuksabs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing C25K and today is day 3 of week 3. Before starting this C25K I didn't think I could even run a minute, so I am truly amazed at what my body could do.
  • SunshaunSmiles
    SunshaunSmiles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on w4 d3 run tomorrow...I'm nervous for next week because I start month 2 workouts of insanity in the AM on top of starting w5 at night. Insanity is a beast. I've started 3 times and have never gotten this far. Proud of myself!! I anticipate having to increase calorie intake due to increase in activity. We'll see....great job everyone!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options

the treadmill is fine. The speed isn't a factor you pick whatever speed feels comfortable to you. its about the cardio fitness you build while running more than the speed. as you continue to run later after the program that you will build a faster pace. There are many more advanced programs out there that will teach you how to run faster c25k is just about teaching you that you can run.

I walk about 3.5mph and run about 6 to 7 on the dreadmill or I did the last time I tried one.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You got this! If you find yourself really struggling there is no shame in repeating a day.

I started C25K in maybe February or March with many doubts I could successfully get past the first few weeks. You know what? Not only did I get thru C25K, but I've also done C210K. Yesterday I ran 6 miles in under 60 minutes. Still amazing myself at what I've been able to accomplish. Was 350ish lbs when I started C25K. Now I'm in the 250s. As you lose weight you'll find you can run both longer and faster. Funny how that works