Calorie intake help

Options
When I was younger and was still very active I had no problem staying on the move all day long and I ate anything and everything but still maintained a awesome 155lb figure.
Here's the issue, many years later I can't eat like I did years ago (obviously) and I put on a little weight over the years, I have lost everything I have wanted to lose except 10 pounds but I don't feel like I'm doing it the right way, not on purpose of course, here is the dilemma I want to gain muscle and get my 6 pack back but I have a hard time eating and getting the essentials my body needs.
Everything indicates with how active I am on a daily basis I should be consuming close to 3500 calories a day but it takes everything in me to even eat 1500 calories a day. I need recommendations on what foods I should be eating to get the figure I so badly want but to make sure I am staying healthy in the process.
I consume iso100 protein shakes everyday but how many should I be drinking and when?
I work in landscaping and construction up to 6 days a week and 14 hours a day and when that is said and done I go to the gym for at least a hour and a half a day.
If I am unclear about anything feel free to ask more questions I just want what will benefit me the most, I just want to succeed. I started at 205 pounds a month and 1/2 ago and as of this morning I weighed in at 171lbs, I am a also 6 foot tall male. Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You've lost 34 lbs in 6 weeks and are now 171 lbs at 6'? Stop trying to lose more weight. Eat more--and you clearly are able or else you wouldn't have been maintaining 205 lbs very recently--and get some rest. An active job 6 days a week and 90 minutes of gym time 7 days a week leaves you no rest days. Couple that with overly fast weight loss and undereating and your 6 pack will likely not come to fruition as you are almost certainly way more muscle than necessary.
  • ace50270
    ace50270 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The big weight jump came from the layoff over the winter and several months working at dunkin donuts, lots of stress and I was on a trial medication for tourettes, since that time and since I have been back to work I have just completely lost all apetite and I can't get to the bottom as of why and iv had blood work done and it all comes back fine. I actually hit my goal today of 2200 calories which is a lot better than the number I usually end my days with but I'm trying, I'm forcing myself to eat as much as I possibly can but with my busy days it doesn't give me much time to eat other than at 4am before I leave for work, 1pm when I take lunch and when I get home. From dropping the weight from dunkins I can still see where it was there especially in my hips and I think it's triggering self conciousness that I'm sure isn't helping my mind either. I have taken the last few days off from work and gym, gave myself and my mind a break from everything and I'd like to restart the way I do things from here on out but I'm stuck at that, I don't have the muscle tone I feel I should have with the amount I work(hard labor) and the amount of time I spend in the gym and I know my eating habits are the reason behind it. I'm just ready to feel good about myself again and get my life moving forward healthier. I eat mainly a lot of fruit (bananas,grapes,grapefruit and a lot of watermelon) and chicken, I need a wider variety of food but this is all so new to me since when I was younger my figure came so easy and now at 25 it caught up to me and I'm losing the weight the wrong way. Help please?
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of meat and fish for protein. Legumes provide protein and fibre, low glycemic carbs. The blog section has tonnes of great recipes.
    Google no-bake energy bites... Delicious and fairly quick to make. Lots of variations to try.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I think that more food and rest will help a lot.

What are you doing each day at the gym?

Food-wise, calorie dense foods (meaning higher calories in small portions) like cheese and peanut butter could help. If you drink milk or eat cottage cheese or yogurt, get full fat or reduced fat and not fat free. Fat is a good thing! It helps keep your hormones working properly and helps you absorb vitamins that are in your food.

Don't get down on yourself about hip fat or not seeing abs. You're a work in progress, just like me and everybody here. I have spots that bug me and I know that it's hard sometimes to not like what we see in the mirror. But it is important to step back and see the big picture, the progress, you've made, and to appreciate what all your body does for you. You do serious labor in your job. That's impressive. Give your body credit for it. Enjoy that much deserved rest!
  • ace50270
    Options
    I start off every work out with either 2 miles on the eliptical or 3-4 miles on the treatmill, I move to the pull up/dip with assistant pad and do 2 sets of 6-8 pull ups or dips, I move to the next machine which is a row machine ( pull weight towards you with rest pad against chest) 3 sets of 10-15 at 90lbs, I move to the inclined chest press or have it flat 3 sets 10-15 reps at 50-75 lbs, I finish off on the machine and I can't think of it's name but your at a sitting position with arms extended straight out to the sides and rotating to a closed arm position and I set the machine in reverse as well 3 sets 10-15 at 75 lbs, and leg day is your normal leg press equipment, running, squats. And I mix abs in on both days. I switch light day hard day. I completely understand I need more rest but having to wake up at 430 am and not getting off til 6-7 at night and then off to the gym til around 9 and when that's all said and done I still have to fit my fiance and dog in, time isn't exactly on my hands, preparing meals is difficult (but with recipes my girlfriend is willing to assist and make them if she knows what she needs to make) the healthy eating is some what new and I need to expand my variety, my girlfriend is not into eating healthy like I am so it's hard to meet in the middle on meals at times.
    I drink my protein shakes with whole milk and also consume a gallon of milk every 2-3 days. I like yogurt and peanut butter to a extent so I could use that, I like cheese except cottage.
    Believe me I do my best to try to keep myself in the best shape as possible even with running ragged a majority of the time. I need a vacation! Lol. Iv been self conscious a majority of my life( I was a athlete and I had that drunk dad where I had to be the best at everything but nothing was ever good enough) I just want to be happy with myself for the first time in quite some time and I guess I'm just fighting for better results. I want to be the best me I can be but in my shoes it's not always easy.
  • jemhh
    Options
    ace50270 wrote: »
    I start off every work out with either 2 miles on the eliptical or 3-4 miles on the treatmill, I move to the pull up/dip with assistant pad and do 2 sets of 6-8 pull ups or dips, I move to the next machine which is a row machine ( pull weight towards you with rest pad against chest) 3 sets of 10-15 at 90lbs, I move to the inclined chest press or have it flat 3 sets 10-15 reps at 50-75 lbs, I finish off on the machine and I can't think of it's name but your at a sitting position with arms extended straight out to the sides and rotating to a closed arm position and I set the machine in reverse as well 3 sets 10-15 at 75 lbs, and leg day is your normal leg press equipment, running, squats. And I mix abs in on both days. I switch light day hard day.

I completely understand I need more rest but having to wake up at 430 am and not getting off til 6-7 at night and then off to the gym til around 9 and when that's all said and done I still have to fit my fiance and dog in, time isn't exactly on my hands, preparing meals is difficult (but with recipes my girlfriend is willing to assist and make them if she knows what she needs to make) the healthy eating is some what new and I need to expand my variety, my girlfriend is not into eating healthy like I am so it's hard to meet in the middle on meals at times.
    I drink my protein shakes with whole milk and also consume a gallon of milk every 2-3 days. I like yogurt and peanut butter to a extent so I could use that, I like cheese except cottage.

Believe me I do my best to try to keep myself in the best shape as possible even with running ragged a majority of the time. I need a vacation! Lol. Iv been self conscious a majority of my life( I was a athlete and I had that drunk dad where I had to be the best at everything but nothing was ever good enough) I just want to be happy with myself for the first time in quite some time and I guess I'm just fighting for better results. I want to be the best me I can be but in my shoes it's not always easy.

I put in paragraphs so it was a bit easier to read.

I think that you may have misunderstood me when I said that you need to rest more. I don't mean rest more on top of all that you are doing. I mean that you need to reduce some of what you are doing in order to rest. From what I see you work 5-6 days a week doing landscaping/construction for 14 hours then after that you go to the gym for 90 minutes.

My suggestion is that when you are in your busy season for landscaping/construction you cut your lifting days down to two a week. On those two days, follow a solid lifting program rather than one you've constructed. This will help because you'll have something that is balanced and has instructions on how to progress. I think that a good full body program with A/B days would be good for this. There are a ton of programs out there but here are two possibilities. For both of them you could do Workout A on one day and Workout B on the other lifting day. Leave 1-2 days between lifting (e.g., Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, etc.):

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ [Either version A or B. The difference is that B has a few isolation exercises added at the end.]
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971 [Do either Novice Full Body or Novice Dumbbell]

Then when you get into your off season for landscaping/construction, you can increase to 3 times a week, as described in the programs.

For now, I'd cut down the elliptical/treadmill to probably twice a week and do it on non-lifting days. So your schedule might look like this:

Monday - lift
    Tuesday - elliptical
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - lift
    Friday - treadmill
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - rest

Rest and food are really important for muscle building. I think that adjusting your schedule and exercise programming this way will help you. Not only will it give your body time to repair the muscles being worked, it will decrease the amount of food you need since you'll be burning fewer calories. That will get you out of this rut where you're stressing over not eating enough.

• ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    ace50270 wrote: »
    I drink my protein shakes with whole milk and also consume a gallon of milk every 2-3 days.

How are you determining how many calories you are eating per day? There are over 2,000 calories in a gallon of whole milk. If you are going through a gallon every 2-3 days, it seems hard to imagine how consuming that quantity of milk, protein shakes, and 3 meals a day made up of lots of fruit and chicken leaves you struggling to consume over 1,500 calories.

I'd take a serious look at your intake and make sure you are measuring and logging everything that you eat and drink so that you are basing your choices on good information.

jemhh has offered you excellent advice regarding how to adjust your activity level.
  • ace50270
    Options
    I track everything that goes into my body, the milk is going into my protein shakes and that's my source of milk and I may have 1 small glass of milk a day. Chicken isn't a everyday thing. Add me as a friend and look at my log and it may help understand a little better. I don't always eat 3 meals, most of the time it's hard for me to eat in the morning, with my line of work it's so hot by the time lunch rolls around I have no appetite from the heat and there are days I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I go to bed without dinner because I can't hold my eyes open
  • ace50270
    Options
    Including the shakes I drink, the glasses of milk I drink and not even including my girlfriend's bowls of cereal where she uses the milk that's how we go thru a gallon every 2-3 days, I just started getting whole milk instead of reduced to add vitamins and the fats I need. Feel free to follow my journey and any advice is greatly appreciated