Hand Weights

Options
I am looking to buy some ladies hand weights / dumbells but I am unsure what weight (in kgs) to purchase. I am looking at the sets of 3 but they vary quite a bit. I don't want something that is going to be ineffective but I also don't want something too heavy that I can't exercise with properly.

Those of you (ladies) who use hand weights, what weight do you use ?

Replies

• 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at this life-style change but about three months. I started out just walking and then moving more as I progressed. I just started with hand weights about the middle of June and I use the 2lb weights. I bought them at Walmart and they are nice because they have a velcro grip that can be tightened so you can run with them and not worry about dropping them from sweaty hands. So far that is all I've used. I hope it helps.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    3, 5, and 8 lb
  • PositiveMummy
    Options
    I have recently started using weights with Cardio Boxing at home, and I use the 1kg ones. They are enough for me for now, and I've even started to notice slimmer and slightly more toned arms already :happy:
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I use 2.3kg (5lb) but I have used weights for quite a long time. They are the middle weight out of my set of three. I cant remember what the lightest and heaviest ones are.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use 2 and 3kg weights. I didn't buy them as a set, however. I use the 2kg weights when doing wii fit free step - bicep curls, tricep extensions etc and the 3kg on JM DVDs...although sometimes I have to take it down a step depending upon the move!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I use Bowflex Selecttech hand weights that can be adjusted between 5 pounds and 52 pounds without buying a bunch of new ones every time I need them. I lift heavy and like to progress often, so buying more weights each time I needed them would get expensive.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great help :smile:

I had been looking at the Davina hand weights - 1.49lb (0.68kg) 2.49lb (1.13kg) 5lb (2.27kg) and a
    Pro Fitness set - 3.30lb (1.5kg) 4.40lb (2kg) 7.71lb (3.5kg)

I think I will get the Pro Fitness Set, and then buy an individual 2lb weight for jogging with :happy:
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    I would get 5, 8 and 10 pound.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am thinking the same thing. At the moment i have 1kg weights, but have seen a set that are 1.5kg, 3kg and 5kg, but i'm not sure!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am looking to buy some ladies hand weights / dumbells but I am unsure what weight (in kgs) to purchase. I am looking at the sets of 3 but they vary quite a bit. I don't want something that is going to be ineffective but I also don't want something too heavy that I can't exercise with properly.

Those of you (ladies) who use hand weights, what weight do you use ?

You're in the UK, right?

My first set of hand weights, were a 3 pack set bought from Argos. I they are 1.5 kg, 3 kg, and 5 kg.
    I think that's a good starting weight package.

I now use an adjustable 40 kg pair
  • bikerchick2
    bikerchick2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy a set. You could start out with a pair of 5 lb weights and use then to get started with bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, upright rows, squats, lunges, etc. Then as you progress you could buy a set of 8 lb weights. I personallly think 2 lb weights are too light and only usefull for rehab exercises.
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tesco have a set of adjustable weights, just the bar is 1kg, then they have a 0.5kg.1kg and 2kg weights to add on. I use them with the 0/5kg weights on for 30DS and go higher for free exercises. They are a bit more expensive than the girly ones but worth it for a variation you get, and later you can buy more/higher weights to add if needed.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym has a set at Walmart (various weights) for under $25.00. That is going to be my next purchase. I have 3 and 6.5. I am ready for some heavier weights.
    The best to you!
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole set in Tesco (they were Fitness First branded ones I think) and they were cheap, about £15 for the whole set.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know the brand but I have 5lb weights. It works wonders for my arms during the 30 Day Shred.