How much B-12 is needed a day (For meatless diets)

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
For people that don't eat meat.

I read that:
Recommended dietary amounts (RDAs) are 2.4 micrograms daily for ages 14 years and older
http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-b12/dosing/hrb-20060243

So right now I'm taking 1000 mcg time released. Is that overkill? How much do you all take if you do not eat meat? What is recommended for vegans/vegetarians? Please list your sources.

Replies

• fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    1000 mcg is probably over kill, but what choice do you have? That's how they are sold. Your body will only absorb what it needs and you'll pee out the rest. B12 is water soluable so it's unlikely you'll take too much. I take 1000 mcg of B12 (methylcobalamin) sublingually (under the tongue). I've read that your body absorbs B12 better sublingually than via the digestive tract.

No sources. If you don't believe me then *shoulder shrug*.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I follow a mostly vegan diet (for the past 3 years), I include 1-2 eggs per month for b12. I get my b12 checked regularly and it's always perfect. So that seems to work for me.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    B12 is actually one of those nutrients that the body can store for long periods of time, 3-5 years worth, in fact (stored in the liver) and it's only after this depletes will symptoms begin and blood tests begin to show deficiencies.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

One of the studies cited here indicates that an average of 5.6mcg/day is appropriate to maintain healthy levels and function, but this would need to be carried on indefinitely if you consume mostly plant foods as you will not consume enough to have excess to store.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The RDA is 2.4 mcg per day, but this will vary based on the person. The 1000 may very well be overkill if you weren't told (by a doctor) to supplement.

Vegetarians don't need more or less than anyone else. The problem with B-12 is usually with vegans, who don't eat any sort of animal product. Still, the amount the vegans need doesn't change, they just don't get it and can become deficient.

There are a lot of problems with B-12 that have nothing to do with deficient intake, so it's always good to have it checked and be sure your body is getting (and absorbing and using) what it needs, whether or not you swallow it.

Massive doses of vitamins do a healthy person no good. Your body takes what it needs from B-12 supplements and stores the rest. It won't be going around giving you extra energy or anything like that.

Your body cannot use excess amounts of anything. It takes what it needs and does something with the excess. Don't go to extremes.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast!!! Delicious and loaded with it!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    @pinggolfer96 Where do you buy nutritional yeast.
    I have a walmart, I can't find it.
    Do I have to go to a specialty store? I have a whole foods about 45 minutes away, hate to drive there. What section do I look into? Can I just buy it in some sort of can, or does it have to be one of those bulk items?
    I would prefer a can or a jar. Is it by the pills/vitamins? By things like flours and baking things?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is only "loaded with it" if it's fortified. Natural nutritional yeast (brewers yeast... just grown on a different substrate) does not contain B-12... so if you are using that as a primary source, you'll need to verify that it is fortified.

• Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and take a b12 supplement daily. It's 5000 mcg and one of those that dissolves in your mouth. Anyway, I notice a huge energy difference taking this, I bought mine on Amazon.