National Ice Cream Day!!!

Options
whit37k
whit37k Posts: 22 Member
So Ice Cream is one of my fav foods. Especially since I had to go gluten free because of allergies, and now it is one of the desserts that is usually safe for me to have. Well I am trying to eat as healthy as possible, but I just found out this Sunday is National Ice Cream Day, so I wanted to see what everyone's favorite suggestions for healthier ice cream alternatives are. Recipes I can do at home and use in the future would be great too. Thanks! :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rm40ynd25w1q.jpg

My favorite
  • planetfatty
    planetfatty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can make "nice cream" from frozen bananas. Just slice and freeze some bananas and then throw them into a blender and let it run until it becomes like soft serve ice cream. You can add things to it as well.

But I have brown butter pecan ice cream planned for this weekend because, well, brown butter pecan...
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't love some ice cream? So here is a link i found to where you can get some free ice cream this weekend if you wanna be bad, as well as a recipe for some of that "nice cream" that @planetfatty mentioned if you wanna be good ;)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather have a small serving of Haagen daaz chocolate or chocolate chocolate chip than some sad alternative that leaves me still not feeling like I had iced cream.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I fit ice cream/gelato in several times a week. Edy's (Dreyer's, depending on where you live) makes a lower fat/sugar line that runs about 100-150 calories per serving. Even a serving of Ben & Jerry's satisfies me now rather than half the pint.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OMG!!! THE most wonderful day of the year!!! I have no healthy alternatives, but I don't really consider ice cream to be terribly unhealthy anyways..and it's a yummy way to up the calories if one needs to (I need to almost every day!) :)

And I've had bordeaux cherry ice cream all week, think I'll find some Heavenly Hash for Sunday!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Halo Top: My favorite is the Mint Chip (but they all rock)
    Arctic Zero: Banana Pudding, Brownie Blast, or Cookie Dough (but save your calories and spend a few cents more on Halo Top, seriously)
    Forte Gelato: Vanilla
    Enlightened: Either the mint, s'mores, triple chocolate, or peanut butter pint
    Homemade: Half scoop Quest protein powder, half cup almond milk, half frozen banana, ice, blended. (substitute almond milk for International Delight's iced coffee for even more flavor)

Who cares about ice cream day? July is national ice cream MONTH!
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was national ice cream day, I guess that justifies the 3 ice cream bars and ice cream cone I had today lol but try Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars. They're 100 and sooo good, my favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough but all of them are good :smile:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Dang, today would have been a perfect day to eat some ice cream. I had some Pop Tarts instead.

I did get some frozen yogurt from Ikea... that's close enough. XD
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Dang, today would have been a perfect day to eat some ice cream. I had some Pop Tarts instead.

I did get some frozen yogurt from Ikea... that's close enough. XD
    Omg Ikea's frozen yogurt is the bomb