I am so scared of failing

Options
2»

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Oh - side note - you do not, not, not have to give up the foods that you love - you just have to reduce the amount and frequency that you eat them.

My food diary for today is pre-logged for a snack of Peanut M& M's.

**Not the whole back - but a 1.5 oz serving. When I bought the bag, the first thing I did was take some of those little zip lock backs and my postal scale, and broke the bag down into servings to be sure I was never tempted to eat "just one more." 1.5 oz. of M&M's isn't very much - but, it's enough to keep me from feeling like I never get to eat anything good, again.
  • bainstorm
    bainstorm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Re, Great post. I feel your pain to. I never stop working on it . Always there.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion but I think the whole "eat everything in moderation" philosophy is not appropriate or helpful for a food addict. At some point you have to limit your intake of trigger foods or cravings will drive you crazy and you'll never feel in control. I think starting on a stricter diet at first will at least give you a break from cravings. You have to break whatever cycle you are in before moving foreword.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You can't go "Cold Turkey" on food. That's a fact.

My Opinion: At some point, you do have to learn a little control - however, not allowing yourself any of the pleasures of life leads to feelings of deprivation, and the inability to deal with that causes many, many people to fail. I know it did me, for something like 30 years. I find it best to eat MOSTLY low carb - carbs are my downfall - but, I do eat candy - in limited doses, and not every day. Is my weight loss slower because of this? Certainly. Do I really care how long it takes, as long as I can happily maintain my new habits for a lifetime? Nope.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know what you mean! I am trying to regain a healthy relationship with food too. I also wanted to say that rolling your quads and IT band, stretching them every day, and doing strengthening exercises can go a long way to helping with the pain. I had to go to physical therapy to repair the damage that being overweight and sedentary caused.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    This is my personal opinion but I think the whole "eat everything in moderation" philosophy is not appropriate or helpful for a food addict. At some point you have to limit your intake of trigger foods or cravings will drive you crazy and you'll never feel in control. I think starting on a stricter diet at first will at least give you a break from cravings. You have to break whatever cycle you are in before moving foreword.

I consider myself a food addict. Restricting foods (when I did keto for 6 months) made it so much worse. When I finally had a non-keto day of eating after 6 months, I was never able to get back to that way of eating. I kept telling myself "just one more day of eating normally and then I'll start keto again", which led to months of starting keto and then binging on all of the restricted foods I wanted.

Three months ago I started back calorie counting without worrying about keto. It's been three months of bliss, eating absolutely everything I want as long as it fits in my calorie goals. I haven't binged a single time, I've never felt out of control with my eating. If I crave something but don't have the calories, I work it in the next day. Your mileage may vary, but that's just my experience.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    sej1990 wrote: »
    I have tried many times with dieting and exercise yet I always failed. I am not afraid to say that I have a very bad food addiction. I am 25 years old with high glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol, and liver enzymes. I am in pain everyday with my hips and my knees. It is so hard to cut out the things I love. I wish foods never made someone fat! Whoever started making fattening foods I hate you!!!

Don't diet. Adjust your current eating habits. Your attitude towards food and eating needs a larger overhaul. Addiction is not the same as love. Either find a way to eat everything in moderation, or cut out the foods you don't need to eat, for your physical and emotional health. Find other things you like, that don't harm you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »

Funny. I was diagnosed with an ED and was told the exact opposite to the bolded. The whole idea is to have a healthy relationship to food. If OP is having a hard time with restricting which can lead to binges, the restricting is not a good idea.

"Eating everything in moderation isn't appropriate"or 'limit your intake'....which one? Restriction can be much worse..

• beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I lost from 340 to 179, now back up to 227. Am I going to give up? Heck no. A goal weight is not a finish line, it's just the first part of the race. The goal is to keep your weight stable. Don't worry if you gain a little, or a lot, you've done it before and you can do it again. The race is never ending, you don't have to run anymore, but keep walking slowly.

Thank you for your advice. I have lost and gained several times. In the past I began with a full out sprint and ran out of steam. This time I have slowed it down to a slow trot. I am more prepared to go the course
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also 25 here and it's definitely possible! I have lost and gained. I lost 40lbs 4 years ago 170 to 130 and felt amazing! Then I let myself go back to old habits and I gained it all back. Lost 35 again, currently 135. Make a small change every day. Even if it's simply not eating the crust of your pizza, or walking to the mailbox or street sign. Motivation is gone if you don't set the tone. Put on pretty comfy exercise clothes and sneakers. Just that step alone will be a push to get you in the mood to work out and move it. Losing is not as hard as maintaining. That's why many of us have lost and gained. So do yourself the biggest favor and celebrate every weight milestone lost and commit to not regaining. Because if you think losing the weight is impossible and hard, think about how crappy it would be to lose it all, hit your goal and feel great only to regain and have to start the process over again like me and many others.
    Small changes and your mindset is huge! If you believe in yourself you will be successful.