Helpless

Options
Hi I have been trying to lose weight for two years I have COPD very severe I've been on high doses of steroids in 2014. 74lbs pounds no matter what I eat no matter how I exercise it won't come off and now I have to be on oxygen because I can't lose weight because I couldn't exercise the way I should have. Mary Ann

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Mary Ann, I'm sorry your going through some medical issues. The good news is that you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Calories in calories out. As long as you eat less then you burn, you'll lose weight. You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight.
    Start by getting yourself a food scale and learning how to weigh all your solids. Measuring cups for liquids. Log everything here on mfp.
  • cindyt472
    cindyt472 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your health troubles. My dad has COPD and is oxygen dependent and he has really gotten a lot of good out of riding a recumbent bicycle. Our local hospital's cardiac rehab and respiratory therapy allows patients to by punch cards to come in and use the equipment to exercise even if they are not currently not doing therapy and he couldn't be exercising in a better place if something would happen to him while exercising. Maybe you could find something like that available to you. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You aren't helpless, although I can understand why you feel that way. Steroids can make things more difficult. As Zoeysasha said, you can do this with a calorie deficit, you don't need to exercise. It will take some time, patience, trial and error, and some frustration at times, but it is all within your control. Take back that control.

There are some fantastic informative threads at the top of the getting started and general diet boards. These will walk you through the process of logging accurately (one of the main reasons people don't see results). You can do it! Just be kind to yourself.