Your favorite way to make sweet potatoes, please and thank you :)

Options
mellyrunsfar
mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
Anyone have a way to jazz up sweet potatoes, in a gluten free & dairy free way?? *food allergies*

Replies

• khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My mom always used Splenda and cinnamon!
  • anselpub
    anselpub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bake 'em and puree with some veggie or chicken broth for a soup. Add cumin, ginger, curry or whatever herbs and spices you like. Or cube it and add to a black bean chili. Or mash a baked tater and mix it with black beans and salsa, then wrap it in a GF tortilla.
  • Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Am currently making sweet potato slices with smoked paprika
  • NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fry them up with some coconut oil, onions (I love red ones), whatever other veggies and herbs and spices you like (J love me some garlic, ginger, Turmeric,...)
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    (I do this for normal potatoes too). I slice them up into circle shapes, pour 2 table spoons of oil over them, add a dash of salt, thyme and a sprinkle of chilli powder (mix) place them on the grill and let them cook for 50 mins at a medium - high temp. Throw in some steak or chicken and you're good. :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    (I do this for normal potatoes too). I slice them up into circle shapes, pour 2 table spoons of oil over them, add a dash of salt, thyme and a sprinkle of chilli powder (mix) place them on the grill and let them cook for 50 mins at a medium - high temp. Throw in some steak or chicken and you're good. :smile:

This^

Roasted at 450° in the oven (I use a french fry cutter or wedges)....mmm so good. About 25 minutes.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Slice it thin, 1/8", fry crisp in coconut oil, to make "chips". Make a remoulade of 1/4 cup mayo, tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp tumeric, S&P to taste.

Dip. Eat. Yum!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    I use canned yams, not sure how this would work with fresh, but it should.

Ingredients
    1 can yams
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 c melted butter
    1 c miniature marshmallows

Put yams into bowl, mash thoroughly (I've used wooden spoons or electronic mixing spoon) with juice from the can, vanilla and cinnamon. In a medium skillet over low heat melt butter. Add yam mixture, mix thoroughly. Top with marshmallows, allow to warm for 5 minutes, stir marshmallows into yams, heat 5 more minutes until marshmallows melted. Serve warm or cold.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sliced and baked with either cinnamon, stevia, and salt. Or with paprika, pepper, salt, garlic, chili lime...etc

Or

Baked or microwaved and filled with almond butter, cinnamon, a little SF maple syrup, and salt(:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Add your favorite nut butter + cinnamon.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Cut into strips and deep fried
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Add your favorite nut butter + cinnamon.

Yeah I keep meaning to try peanut butter and jelly on a sweet potato. YUMMMMMMM
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like to peel them, chop into bite sized pieces, toss in homemade balsamic vinaigrette, and roast for thirty to fourty minutes.

Also, chopped and boiled with rutabaga and carrots, then mashed.
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Scrub, dice with skin on, saute in a small amount of
    butter, coconut oil, or olive oil with sea salt.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    baked or microwaved until soft, then eaten with sugar-free maple syrup and grilled chicken (yes, chicken with the syrup!) So delicious.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bake on 375 - 400
    - wash and leave whole with olive oil, salt and pepper
    - Cut into cubes after baking toss w olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, salt and pepper
    - Leave whole, after baking add earth balance, cinnamon and a dash of salt and nutmeg
    - Bake whole, earth balance, mash w a tbs soymilk, salt and honey
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    yum yum yum everyone- thanks for the ideas! I like mine oven roasted in olive oil with dried cranberries and chopped red onion.
  • much2muse
    much2muse Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Poke holes in them and bake them in the crock pot on low for 6-7 hrs. They're so creamy! I've been eating sea salt and caramel on mine. I'm trying date syrup soon.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is pretty high calorie, but I only eat them this way on holidays. That is as a casserole with lots of butter and brown sugar and marshmallows. For a lower cal way I like to bake the potato and add a little butter and a little brown sugar. I also like them fried and dipped in barbeque sauce. I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions in this post.