Losing inches everywhere but thighs

Options
I am losing inches everywhere but in my thighs, It is very frustrating because I do carry alot of weight in my thighs. When I work out, I do total body workouts so I don't get why I am not losing ANYTHING in my thighs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• jacksonde24
    jacksonde24 Posts: 103
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me too. I do everything....spinning, strength training, zumba, and kickboxing. Now, I've started to incorporate runnning now.
  • nezeray
    nezeray Posts: 34
    Options
    I have the same problem with my "beer belly". I think some parts of the body just lose size slower. :(

James / Nezeray
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are the best.

I am the same way....hold all of my weight in the hips and thighs. I will lose EVERYWHERE else before those spots. Keep at it! Once your body has burned fat in all other areas, it will have to target your legs :) It will come off eventually -- it just might not be as soon as you would like to see it fall. I have had a hard time coming to terms with this process, but it seems to be real. Now that I am fairly close to goal weight, I am finally seeing some thigh results....I lost 1/2 inch of thigh fat this month.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here, keep at it, your body will get there eventually.
  • fenix1976
    fenix1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    same here but on my back!!! and arms!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Think of the body as storage spaces. Those storage spaces with the smallest amount of items(fat) will go away first. Saving the big storage for last. The body doesn't want to let go of all that storage. :) Just keep working it and you'll see it slip away eventually!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to measure your thighs because sometimes it's hard to tell. From what I've heard, you lose fat all over, not in one particular place. Using a body fat caliper is a great tool to use in addition to the scale.
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    I've lost loads of my waist but only about 1/2 an inch on my hips.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have Body Pump? I saw such amazing results taking that class that I became an instructor. Look around for it! :-)
  • missmomma77
    Options
    You may be able to help with what you eat. There is a morning talk show here in Canada called Steven and Chris. They had a nutritionist on who was talking about why we store fat in certain areas and what foods you can eat to help reduce it. So in your case, and mine, we store fat in our thighs/arms. This is caused by estrogen. To help with this, eat apples, cabbage, broccoli. Anyways here is the link to all the info.
    http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/2011/03/how-to-get-rid-of-fat.htm
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What I've always read is that the first fat you lose are the places you most recently gained it. Since I have always been a little bottom heavy when I gain weight it's in my arms and stomach so then that's the first weight I lose. I know the leg/hip/butt weight is going to be the last that comes off.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    walking will do it(power walking) that is....mine are getting alot smaller my whole leg acually! :)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article on fat and how it comes off.

http://www.diet-blog.com/06/fat_distribution_and_spot_reduction.php
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    No advice, except for "hang in there". The same thing happens with me, but with my hips. My hips have been the very last thing to budge, but they did eventually budge, just s-l-o-w-l-y.
  • Jasnbeck98
    Jasnbeck98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will just be patient.
  • Jasnbeck98
    Jasnbeck98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great article!
  • Ramitta
    Ramitta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the lower body fat is more complex and thus harder and last to lose, so if you keep at it it will start dropping off eventually ... good luck
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Your biggest and earliest "storage spaces" are often the last to go, and you just may have to be patient.

BUT...sometimes it also has to do with what muscles are really tight on your frame. If your hip flexors (especially the illiopsoas) are really tight, you are probably carrying more muscle than is necessary because imperfect posture causes your body to have to work harder against gravity to hold you upright. If you carry more muscle than necessary, you also carry more nearby fat to help feed it. A good way to tell if this particular muscle group is tight is if you also have a dramatic curve towards the back in your lower spine (this is called lordosis). You should have some curve, but not a dramatic one.

Stretches that target the iliopsoas, quads, and sartorius can give you the "room" in your joints so that you can improve your posture and those muscles don't have to work so hard. You can lose a couple inches. Remember, your ideal muscles are strong AND flexible - you need to work against both weakness and tightness.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    not to worry....you are in good company!

some of us have natural curves that will always be proportionally bigger than the rest of us. I say embrace your curves and strive to be the best version of yourself you can be, and not measure up to anyone else's standards.

(BTW - I bet your stomach is flatter than many women who have thinner thighs :-) perhaps it is an apple versus a pear thing.... )