Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this past February.

Options
ellenaj52
ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
I have been battling with my weight my whole life. I went through the era that encouraged us to eat low fat and high carb. Well, instead of losing weight with this advice I simply gained weight and the scale steadily went up. I questioned whether or not I was insulin resistant. I had not been to a doctor for a physical in 9 years. Thus, I had a complete physical a few months ago. When blood was drawn my fasting blood sugar was 126, just at the cut off for a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. My A1c was 6.7. I had to see a dietician after the diagnosis. According to the advice of the American diabetic association she said I could eat 2-4 carbs per meal. A carb consists of 15 grams of carbohydrate. I was angry as I was also charged over $600.00 for her advice in two sessions. I knew that was too much carb for me. That is what I had been eating! I got books from the library on diabetes and especially liked a book by Mark Hyman. He advised lowering the carb intake and eating more of the good fats. If it is low fat leave it in the grocery store! She was advising me that I could eat almost 200 grams of carbs per day. I did not listen to her advice. I now keep my carbs at no more than 75 per day and I am eating adequate fat. Guess what? I have lost 20 pounds! It is not a no carb diet, but low carb. I eat moderate amount of protein. Also now that I have a diabetic meter I can check my blood sugar twice a day or whenever. It does not lie. My sugars have been excellent. Plus, again this is the first time in my life that I can see results.
I found a site on line. For women it said that under 50 grams of carb per day(very low carb) is for severe blood sugar problems, 50-75 grams per day (Low carb) for weight loss and blood sugar regulation, 75-150 grams (moderate carb) to maintain weight, and over 150 (high carb) for physically active people or a fast metabolism. All I can say is it is working, I am finally losing,not hungry. I need to watch the carbs the rest of my life, but eating the good fats makes it less of a drudgery. Perhaps the diabetes diagnosis was a blessing in disguise? Also make sure when you are counting carbs, count the carbs in all foods you eat and drink, fruits, vegetables, etc. Everything!

Replies

• SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! will now take heed as I love my carbs.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I too am type 2 and eat lower carb than my dietican reccommends. Works for me an 39 lbs gone.
    Just checked my diary and I usually eat 75 to 150 g of carbs.
  • jburtonpdx
    jburtonpdx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed within the last 2 weeks. Same thing - struggle with weight my entire life.... Very active physically but there is no way to out exercise a bad diet....
    The thing is my wife had started doing things like the paleo diet several years ago - at the very least she started managing what she was eating. She was taking an active role in deciding what to consume. I continued just eating whatever I wanted...
    I just started testing my blood sugar as of Tuesday of this week. Within a day I could see the difference in what foods I was eating and the impact on blood sugar - both immediate impact and over the course of the day.
    I had started using MFP the previous week. It feels like a habit already to log what I am eating so that is helping.
    I am doing a lower carb and paleo'ish diet - meats and vegetables. Luckily we have tons of recipes and my wife is very experienced cooking this way.

I'm going to miss pop tarts but I want to live...
  • AngelaCS12
    AngelaCS12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed yesterday. I have no idea where to start and what to do. Looking to connect with people here.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    AngelaCS12 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed yesterday. I have no idea where to start and what to do. Looking to connect with people here.

Sorry to hear. A friend of mine was told she was prediabetic and her doctor told her to cut the carbs down to a minimum and when eating them to eat just whole wheat and some of the ancient grains.

She is still prediabetic but she doesn't have a brain fog. Feel free to friend me.
  • Mamahick12
    Mamahick12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

rwhyte12 wrote: »

Sorry to hear. A friend of mine was told she was prediabetic and her doctor told her to cut the carbs down to a minimum and when eating them to eat just whole wheat and some of the ancient grains.

She is still prediabetic but she doesn't have a brain fog. Feel free to friend me.

I was also diagnosed as prediabetic. My weight loss has been slower than I would prefer (less than 2 lbs a week). Feel free to add me as well. I could use the motivation from someone who is in the same boat as me as well as give motivation.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Start tracking your carbs like your life depended on it....because it does! Track everything you put in your mouth and keep your carbs at 50-75 until your blood sugars and HBA1C are under control. Like the OP said, it will be a life long battle for you. Message me if you need help.

P.S. "typical" registered dietitians will kill you.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    P.S. "typical" registered dietitians will kill you.

100% agree. A few years ago, I too was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I changed my lifestyle around completely after that because Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family. I exercise every day now and follow a LCHF WOE and the best news of all is that I'm no longer pre-diabetic (woot)!
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I too am a type 2 diabetic and have been to two different dieticians which told me the same load of crap they tried to feed you. I ate that way and had uncontrolled diabetes for years with doctors adding meds at every visit. Just recently I have decided that they didn't have a clue as to what would work for me. The doctor even told me that I was a brittle diabetic and said that I would be on meds for the rest of my life. I wasn't going to accept that so I recommitted to mfp, changed my diet, and have lost 23 lbs so far. The issue I am having now is my blood sugars being too low. Sometimes I wake up shaking in the middle of the night. When I check it is usually in the 50s. I am eating carbs but I need to adjust my meds. Again thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey. :)
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed last week! Friend me and we can support each other!
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in 2005. I already ate a generally healthy diet, but inherited the disease anyway. What helped me was to eat more frequent but smaller meals to keep the glucose levels steadier. I switched to eating four times a day with meal sizes that resemble most people's snacks. Most of my protein comes from lean, minimally processed sources. With the carbs, lots of veggies, especially of the low starch variety, and whole fruit every few days in small amounts (no juices - the pulp and skin of whole fruit provide fiber). I do eat grains, but only gluten free whole grains (like quinoa) in small portions. I weigh/measure EVERYTHING to ensure my portions are correct and never allow myself to eat seconds. Ever since I made these modifications, my A1C has been 6 or less, which is non-diabetic. I have been off all diabetes medications for three years. I recommend if you are well enough to exercise regularly as much as you can as this will help too. Do not despair - healthy lifestyle is the biggest factor in managing type 2 diabetes.
  • Annageorge25
    Annageorge25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    klbrowser wrote: »
    I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in 2005. I already ate a generally healthy diet, but inherited the disease anyway. What helped me was to eat more frequent but smaller meals to keep the glucose levels steadier. I switched to eating four times a day with meal sizes that resemble most people's snacks. Most of my protein comes from lean, minimally processed sources. With the carbs, lots of veggies, especially of the low starch variety, and whole fruit every few days in small amounts (no juices - the pulp and skin of whole fruit provide fiber). I do eat grains, but only gluten free whole grains (like quinoa) in small portions. I weigh/measure EVERYTHING to ensure my portions are correct and never allow myself to eat seconds. Ever since I made these modifications, my A1C has been 6 or less, which is non-diabetic. I have been off all diabetes medications for three years. I recommend if you are well enough to exercise regularly as much as you can as this will help too. Do not despair - healthy lifestyle is the biggest factor in managing type 2 diabetes.

I approve the post above. Diabetic as well . Add me if you like.
  • tahennessy1
    tahennessy1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was just diagnosed two weeks ago. 6.5 A1C. The doc said to lose between 10 and 20% of my body weight. I bought a glucose monitor to check every AM. Some days it is high, like 156, and some days it is low, like 112. I will have to keep an eye on my food tracking on MFP to see what I ate the day before and how it affects my numbers. The comment to control carbs like my life depends on it is good ... thanks to whomever that was in this thread. I don't eat gluten because it makes me itch, and I don't eat sugar because it creates goo in my nasal passages, so I'm ahead of the game on that - but it is also something I've already cut out and my numbers are still high. I am, however, a big fan of rice, potatoes, and cheese. I also bought a spin bike and downloaded the Peloton app on my iPad. I've been faithful spinning for 30 minutes each day, three days on and one day off, since the diagnosis. I hope to get up to an hour a day, but I'll be patient. I just visualize 100/160/fit (glucose/weight/results) when I ride.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just to add an alternate point of view. I'm also type 2, but I never track/restrict my carb intake. Just by controlling my calories and exercising regularly, my blood sugars have been steadily decreasing. I fully expect my doctor to reduce my metformin dose at my next A1C check.
  • jennilee1074
    jennilee1074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too was told up to 60 carbs per meal and 15 per snack. I find that I eat foods I shouldn't because I think i can go up to those numbers. I've been gaining weight. Back to lower numbers for me. My first 3 months I was very strict and went from an a1c of 9.8 to 6.8.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!