How do I avoid / reduce DOMS?

Options
So its been a while since I've exercised and I get DOMS everytime I start working out after a break so I was wondering if there is any way to reduce it, if avoiding it is not possible?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Similar question came up recently here;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10426077/speeding-up-muscle-recovery
    • Protein
    • Hydration
    • Keeping mobile
    • Regular/routine exercise

seemed to be the theme

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All of the above is great, but the only thing that I noticed made a difference for me was time of day. If I lifted weights after work in the evening I'd be really sore the next day. If I lifted in the morning, my soreness was significantly reduced. But I'm more of a drink coffee and try to be a person again in the morning kinda girl... so I deal with the soreness lol
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Similar question came up recently here;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10426077/speeding-up-muscle-recovery
    • Protein
    • Hydration
    • Keeping mobile
    • Regular/routine exercise

seemed to be the theme

This
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    what is DOMS?
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south127.htm

Sounds like it's worth a try.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Take the night off and just go get Chinese food?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    what is DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - the aching/burning feeling you get in your muscles the day after (or sometimes the day after, the day after) exercise.

Do a load of squats and lunges on Monday - DOMS is the feeling in your legs and butt on Wednesday.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    what is DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - the aching/burning feeling you get in your muscles the day after (or sometimes the day after, the day after) exercise.

Do a load of squats and lunges on Monday - DOMS is the feeling in your legs and butt on Wednesday.

Actually this will be Tuesday and Wedneday for me. LOL

Some are more prone to DOMS than others and when there is increase in exercise, such as volume or intensity or perhaps doing an exercise for the very first time or getting back to exercise for the first time.

Not much a person can do to avoid it. The recommendations for 'speedy recovery' is all you can do and give it time, perhaps 1, 2, 3 days max.

• pawfectly
    pawfectly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Your advice helped me a lot :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    pawfectly wrote: »
    So its been a while since I've exercised and I get DOMS everytime I start working out after a break so I was wondering if there is any way to reduce it, if avoiding it is not possible?
    Use less resistance and/or reduce intensity of the exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Exercise more regularly...since you're just starting back, go slow and ease into things.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Exercise more regularly...

This. Best cure is another workout
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You don't want to avoid it. That's growing pains. It's a sure sign that you've worked your butt off. The reduce Dom's you need to train regularly (including the muscle group) that way you'll become accustom to it. So to answer your Q. You have to train frequently to feel less Dom's.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    pawfectly wrote: »
    So its been a while since I've exercised and I get DOMS everytime I start working out after a break

If you have to take a break, reduce the training volume you were doing previously. For example, if you're working your legs, start with only 1 or 2 sets the first day back, and add 1 set to each workout after that. The soreness will be minimal. If you try to dive back into your old routine, expect to be in pain. :+1:
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    All of the above is great, but the only thing that I noticed made a difference for me was time of day. If I lifted weights after work in the evening I'd be really sore the next day. If I lifted in the morning, my soreness was significantly reduced. But I'm more of a drink coffee and try to be a person again in the morning kinda girl... so I deal with the soreness lol

I think this is because you are using those muscles the remainder of the day, so they can't become static and cramp up nearly as easily. I run, and I used to just sit the rest of the day after a long run, and I'd be miserable for days, but now, after a long run, I'll wander around a mall or something for an hour, and the pain is MUCH less! Probably the same idea for working out...
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Embrace it! It means muscles you haven't worked in a long time got a good workout (but note that just because you don't get DOMS doesn't mean you didn't have a good workout).
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Embrace it! It means muscles you haven't worked in a long time got a good workout (but note that just because you don't get DOMS doesn't mean you didn't have a good workout).

This. I actually find it useful because it gives me indication of which muscles are weaker (they feel more painful) and therefore where I need to work. But I think it's "good" pain - shows my muscles are getting stronger!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Kind of not a real solution to avoid it unless you avoid exercise
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Protein, keep moving, don't avoid exercise but don't work the same muscle group the next day, foam roll, take tylenol, try taking magnesium. For the most part though, deal with it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Slowly build into it and stay consistent. I rarely ever have to deal with doms anymore. A couple days when my rep scheme massively changes and that's about it.