Women strength training and results?

Options
Fitamdshiit
Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
Hi! Men can chime in too but since men and women's bodies are hormonally different figured I'd ask the girls specifically.

Really wondering how long it took you ladies to see results from strength training? I'm going on 3 weeks and my body looks exactly the same. I'm within a healthy bmi but still have some belly fat I'd like gone. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Hoping it'll still disappear though. An example of my schedule looks like this: 3x a week
Warmup
Plank 3x 1 min
Squat thrust 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights
Deadlifts 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
Bench press 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
Alternate curls 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights

I try to up my weight when i feel it getting too easy. Also, I haven't been sore since the first week. Is that normal? I'd love to have some feedback!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP you put this under "recipes" . I am not sure how many will see this under this. I happened to see it because I also surf around in here from time to time.

I am almost 2 years in. It took me about 6+ months to really really reap body composition changes. Everyone is different, age, genetics, starting point in fitness in general, all matter.

I will add this, you need to follow a better program. IF you want serious body composition changes you should follow a strength training program designed to do just that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    Oh crap! Meant to put it under fitness and exercise. Thanks for letting me know!
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    And also thanks for the feedback! I will look into those programs. You look amazing by the way!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months to see results but if I were you and you're lifting 3 days a week, I would (just my opinion) try heavier weights w squats, and try 4 or 5 reps w the curls... If you're finished w for or 5 reps and you feel like you could do more then try to do more.
    Stick w it and increase weight and reps as you go, feels so good to see results!
  • laivern
    laivern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a great resource as well. I started my strength training through their program, awesome coaches to choose from. It really depends on what you want out of the program. Its pretty intense but I got big results with my muscle gain. To be honest I saw the most muscle growth when I hit 2-3 times a week on each muscle group. It's not the the quantity of the workout but the quality. Technique is so very important.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're falling in that range between power lifting and cardio. It looks like your weights aren't heavy enough to be strength training or power lifting but your reps aren't high enough to be cardio. If you can get to the last few reps in your last set and you're not straining a little (strength) or out of breath (cardio) you're probably not pushing your body hard enough. I'd talk to a trainer at your gym. If you're just starting out you should have someone review your form too. Squats and deadlifts can really hurt your back if your form isn't right. After you see a trainer a few times you can go back to lifting in your own when you feel confident in your routine.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago but want to get back in the gym as soon as possible. I was talking to my physical therapist about lifting again and he told me what he does, and I might try it. He is not a big guy and doesn't want to bulk, so he thought it might be a good plan for women who lift. He suggested that I lift lighter weights at higher reps, until I am almost too tired to do another. So for example, 10 lb bicep curls at 15-20 reps. Then, after two sets of that, he does one really heavy set. He can only lift it 4-5 times. His theory is that it's best to do your heavy set, after your metabolism is up and running. We laughed because we have no significant proof that it works better than any other program, but for someone like me who wants to lose weight and gain strength, it might be a good idea.
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You gotta lift heavy girl, if you arent struggling by the last rep then your weights are too light. I agree with alot of what @keegan2149 has to say. If you want to see results you gotta push yourself. Dont worry about getting bulky either, thats all diet related anyway.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Apparently it takes about 6-8 weeks for actual muscle growth to begin with a proper program so going by that it probably takes at least 6 months to see real changes.
  • maykim14
    maykim14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4-5 months to really see a difference in my body. The advice above is really great, lift heavier, don't be afraid to get bulky because that's not going to happen (you have to try really hard for that). I enjoy lifting heavier weights because I can eat more food to fuel the muscles I gain. Keep trying and keep finding resources online :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi! Men can chime in too but since men and women's bodies are hormonally different figured I'd ask the girls specifically.

Really wondering how long it took you ladies to see results from strength training? I'm going on 3 weeks and my body looks exactly the same. I'm within a healthy bmi but still have some belly fat I'd like gone. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Hoping it'll still disappear though. An example of my schedule looks like this: 3x a week
    Warmup
    Plank 3x 1 min
    Squat thrust 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights
    Deadlifts 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Bench press 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Alternate curls 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights

I try to up my weight when i feel it getting too easy. Also, I haven't been sore since the first week. Is that normal? I'd love to have some feedback!

Hi, you have a great goal in wanting to get stronger / build muscle.

Unfortunately that programme isn't going to help you ...are you a gym member? Get yourself on a decent progressive programme and work up some real weight

Read this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Get a programme
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women, or their new one Strong

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    So sorry I havent checked back in a while. Lots of great responses! So after posting this I stopped what I was doing and started strong curves. I upped my weight a lot but I am going to most likely up it again soon. I really underestimated my strength. I still haven't seen much progress but I do feel myself getting stronger and I am a lot hungrier now lol.