What's My Daily Activity Level

Options
Hi All,
I have a question about the Daily Active setting:
I'm a housekeeper in a hotel. It's physically tough work; vacuuming, changing beds, moving furniture etc. for 7 hours a day. I sweat from one end of the day to the other. Does that put my in the Active or Very Active camp?

I originally chose Active but logging my food for the day (oats, fruit x4, green juice, chickpea salad, soy yogurt, coffee with almond milk) I realize my calories seem too low at 1,800. I haven't even eaten dinner yet and I've only 300+ calories left. Am I eating the wrong foods or have I set my Activity Level too low?

I can't do this job hungry. Help!

Replies

• NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Remember that you can also add 'cleaning' in your exercise log (I think under Cardio), that should give you something extra too.
    And I'd say you are very active (worked in the Hotel business for 13, but 'only' reception. Hats off to you!)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I would set it to active and try it for a few weeks. If you are losing at the desired rate, great. If not, adjust the activity.
    If you update the activity, don't add it as additional exercise.
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Remember that you can also add 'cleaning' in your exercise log (I think under Cardio), that should give you something extra too.

Cleaning is an exercise! Omg, I never even thought of that!

• NicoleBurgoz
    Options
    No? lol, I try to log everything somewhere :D
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to distinguish between the exercise you log and the exercise that's just background noise. If you log every single thing you do, then you probably should choose "inactive," because that's mostly what's left. If you consistently do a lot of active things all day long and don't want to bother to write down all that repetitive stuff every day, then choose "active." Then try it for a while with the daily calorie limit it calculates for you, and see if you're losing at a rate that suits you. If you're not, then reduce your calories again--either by choosing a less active status and recalculating, or just by chopping off another 100 or 200 calories to see what happens. All your choice of status does is tell the calculator a rough idea of how many calories it should assume you use up every day in addition to your logged exercise.
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    I would set it to active and try it for a few weeks. If you are losing at the desired rate, great. If not, adjust the activity.
    If you update the activity, don't add it as additional exercise.

Good advice. I'd just be counting the same activity twice then.
    At my current intake my work is slower and I'm dizzy by the end of the day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Cleaning is an exercise! Omg, I never even thought of that!

No. Cleaning is your job, and it should be accounted for in your activity level. Logging could lead to double counting those calories, which can lead to stalled weight loss or gain. If you must, switch to very active and monitor your loss over the next several weeks.
  • NicoleBurgoz
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @WendyLaubach , is was a tad ironic with the 'logging everything' :smile:
    I get what you are saying though.