Thinking about going vegetarian

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Every single food i tend to over eat would be classed as vegetarian. Can't say I've ever binged out on meat.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    If you are concerned about the treatment of animals choose free range chicken.

Yes, they are really nice to the chickens before they cut their heads off.

We are on the top of the food chain. It's entirely possible that chickens would be extinct but for their usefulness as human food. I get worrying about whales and even pigs but chickens are idiots. They're basically walking vegetables with protein.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. Each nutrient acts differently. You will stay fat and hungry as long as you continue to eat a diet high in carbs. Your Body can't get to stored fat while lots of sugar is circulating in the blood because big bully INSULIN will not allow it. INSULIN is a fat inhibitor. Humans must have protein and fat to survive. Carbohydrates are not a necessary ingredient for human health. The lens of your eyes and your red blood cells need a tiny bit of glycogen but the liver can make this from the protein we eat. The Masai in Africa lived for millennia on animal blood, fatty meats and goats milk. No carbs folks. Check them out. Strong and tall and powerful people. The Inuit ate blubber from seals and Elk and no carbs. In the early 1900's a scientist lived with them and they ate solely fat and meat for 10 YEARS. Frequent blood tests continued over the years to show no ill effects. But I learned this all from watching Dr. Lustig, Dr. Jeff Volek, Dr. Stephen Phinney and Professor Tim Noakes on U-tube. Nothing is better than the truth. We have been lied too for over 40 years. When you find out you are carbohydrate intolerant, just like lactose intolerant, you realize for the first time, "Hey, I can't eat this stuff all I want because I will get sick and I will get fat". All this fat is from sugar molecules, for some people trans fats too, but not me. I was careful and followed that stupid food pyramid and ate what at the time I was told was healthy food, whole wheat grain bread and cereals, fruit like no tomorrow and tons of vegetables. Little did I know at the time that the body processes each nutrient differently. Little did I know that a sugar molecule was made up of half sucrose and half fructose. Yes I knew fructose was bad for you and I DID NOT DRINK POP or sports drinks, but I had no idea that the body sees the same amount of sugar in something like an ounce of pop and the equivalent of calories in fruit. The body processes it the same. Fruit is natures candy. The higher the carb content in your diet the more difficult to burn fat because as I said above, INSULIN is a bully and as long as it has lots of glycogen to burn, fat will never be utilized.

:p You must be new here....
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am an occasional meat eater. I eat mostly vegetarian, but have encountered a problem. I cannot for the life of me get enough protein. It's not a bad thing, but comes with it's own set of problems.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been thinking maybe I should try going vegetarian. Mostly because I hate the way animals are treated leading up to their deaths basically. Also, I want to see if it'll help me lose weight faster and lead to a healthier body. Problem is I really love chicken like a lot. I also hate most fish. I can sometimes go days without eating meat and not miss it, but if my family or friends are going out to eat I have to have meat. I've tried giving up beef before, but sometimes I actually forget when I'm eating it. I've also never been a big pork fan and have never had lamb. Anyways I'm rambling now, but to the vegetarians out there...is it worth it? I mean it'll be hard for me at first, but did you guys see results pretty quickly?

Vegetarians still contribute to the death and mistreatment of animals. A vegan diet will help you lose weight and not harm all animals.

Except the gophers and mice that get gruesomely ground up during harvest of all those soy beans.... But somehow they don't "count".
  • guppyphant
    guppyphant Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year and gained weight when I expected to lose pounds. Reflecting on that experience now, I realize that I was trying to be veggie while relying on my college dining hall for food, where I found myself eating hummus and cheese sandwiches, pasta, and cheese pizza more often than not. I eat a more veggie diet now that I'm living on my own and it's much easier to make better veggie choices. I still eat my cheese sandwiches and pasta, but I can bulk them up with a variety of veggies and I've come to enjoy my meatless meals. I would also say that you don't have to go all-or-nothing -- I eat mostly veggie meals, but I never turn down a burger when I go out to eat :) Good luck!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Okay, so I've been thinking maybe I should try going vegetarian. Mostly because I hate the way animals are treated leading up to their deaths basically. Also, I want to see if it'll help me lose weight faster and lead to a healthier body. Problem is I really love chicken like a lot. I also hate most fish. I can sometimes go days without eating meat and not miss it, but if my family or friends are going out to eat I have to have meat. I've tried giving up beef before, but sometimes I actually forget when I'm eating it. I've also never been a big pork fan and have never had lamb. Anyways I'm rambling now, but to the vegetarians out there...is it worth it? I mean it'll be hard for me at first, but did you guys see results pretty quickly?

Vegetarians still contribute to the death and mistreatment of animals. A vegan diet will help you lose weight and not harm all animals.

Except the gophers and mice that get gruesomely ground up during harvest of all those soy beans.... But somehow they don't "count".

They aren't farming the gophers and mice to eat is the difference.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

We are on the top of the food chain. It's entirely possible that chickens would be extinct but for their usefulness as human food. I get worrying about whales and even pigs but chickens are idiots. They're basically walking vegetables with protein.

I disagree, but that's not the point. Eating free range chickens is a weak alternative to ethical vegetarianism.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It would be less wasteful if they were.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of vegetarians I've met are overweight and very unhealthy. They're just more smug about what they eat is all. "Oh, you're gonna eat that? That's soo bad for you." *proceeds to eat a pound of processed pasta and candy bars*. Morally, they're often like the hybrid driver that preaches how awesome they are and what you should do simply for owning the car while doing absolitely nothing else that's productive or altruistic.

Bottom line: It won't necessarily make you lose weight. If you don't find alternatives to proteins it's not good for you. If you do go vegetarian, great but no one needs to hear about it more than once.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Based on

I disagree, but that's not the point. Eating free range chickens is a weak alternative to ethical vegetarianism.

Based on what made up ethical system? One that puts the lives of chickens ahead of human health? No thank you. Enjoy a diet that require supplementation and is sub-optimal. I'll enjoy what evolution gave me thank you very much.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Based on

Based on what made up ethical system? One that puts the lives of chickens ahead of human health? No thank you. Enjoy a diet that require supplementation and is sub-optimal. I'll enjoy what evolution gave me thank you very much.

You can be perfectly healthy not eating chickens.
  • tlflag1620
    Options

They aren't any less dead whether someone eats them or not.

• tlflag1620
    Options
    Based on

True. I prefer beef and pork.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Based on

And I, fish. Love fish.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Based on

#firstworldrighteousness
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I call myself a vegetarian to make it easier for my friends and family. So that they are clear I probably won't eat meat. But I do sometimes eat it with my husband, cause I'm a grown up and can do what I want. I found it's way more about other people being able to feel like they can classify you than anything else. We live in a society where meat with meals is the norm, and people struggle to understand that I have 90% of my meals without meat, they need the label to understand.

There is no reason you can't be a healthy veggie. MFP is good for tracking your macros, make sure you get enough protein and don't eat all the carbs. This was never a problem for me since I don't like most traditional carby things. There are plenty of unhealthy people on both side of the fence.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Chicken Good...
    Fish Good...
    Red Meat - Twice a month - Good...
    Bacon.... Thank you for this creation..
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Based on

And I, fish. Love fish.

Kermit, flies need love too!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No a vegan diet will NOT cause weight loss. You can still over eat on a vegan diet.