Android RunWalk Apps - MapMyRun / Nike+ / miCoach

Options
Which is best out of the three running/walking apps?

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Strava is about the most popular out there among endurance athletes.

I found MapMy[Fill_in_the_blank] to be very generic and boring. I really didn't like Nike Run all that much, and haven't tried miCoach.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The only one of those three I've used is the UA MapMy* one. It seemed to work well enough, but I had trouble with it crashing a few times in a row so I tried Runkeeper. The interface is a little more "modern" for what that's worth and the mapping does look more accurate, though distances always seemed pretty close to right on MapMy.

I have a feeling you'd do best to try each and decide which you like the most personally because it's going to come down to personal opinion more than quantifiable "best" assuming they all have whatever features are important to you.
  • babymunchkin84
    babymunchkin84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just downloaded all three including Strava and Runkeeper. Am going to try them all out for a week or so and see which one works for me, I am more of an aesthetic kind of person. If the app looks great and has functions I need, it's a winner, even if another app has better functions without the aesthetics.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd recommend Strata or Endomondo. Runkeeper is also good but has less functionally.

I didn't rate the MapMy... range at all.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like Nike app and agree that mapmy....is poor. More than once lost gps for a moment and it made up a random wild route skewing the whole distance and speed.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Haven't tries the Nike app, and found the MapMy(Everything) series to overestimate calorie burns quite a bit. I liked Endomondo but it did the same, mostly skewing the BMR portion.

Strava and Runkeeper seem more realistic in terms of calorie burn IMO. Don't use Strava for walking, as it will show calorie burn as if running really slow, or running in place.

I'm actually surprised that with all the apps out there, nobody has designed one to ignore BMR with a toggle, or allow a bit more customization as it applies to calorie burns.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Strava and Runkeeper seem more realistic in terms of calorie burn IMO. Don't use Strava for walking, as it will show calorie burn as if running really slow, or running in place..

You have to change the workout style before saving the workout and it'll post as a walk. I do it almost daily.....
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Strava and Runkeeper seem more realistic in terms of calorie burn IMO. Don't use Strava for walking, as it will show calorie burn as if running really slow, or running in place..

You have to change the workout style before saving the workout and it'll post as a walk. I do it almost daily.....

This made me laugh at myself fairly hard. I've always used apps that make you select the workout type before the exercise, and never noticed you could change it after the fact!

Does anyone know if the calorie burns for walking and other activities are anywhere close to reality? The main reasons I used it for biking was the calorie burn seemed reasonable, where most apps seem high.