When do YOU eat your PWO meal and what does it consist of???

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
just curious as to when everyone who has a solid strength program and looking for a solid pump/ energy eats their pre-workout meal. If you don't have one, please don't write "black coffee" or "pre workout". I'm actually curious as to who found their sweet spot with timing and the type of food. I tend to eat a carb heavy meal the night before and then have some rice cakes with fruit about 30-60 mins before I train(: what's your preference?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    Options
    Bump
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Depending on the schedule for the day it may be 1 or 2 greek yogurts. One about 9:30 am and the next about 10:15am (if eating 2). Randomly I may thrown in a serving of peanut butter.

I consider the above more of a pre-workout snack than anything as I usually have a greek yogurt and protein shake for breakfast. And it's only during a cutting phase.

Bulking phase is usually a bagel with cream cheese or salmon spread.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    On upper body days, I can get up and lift on an empty stomach and I don't need to snack the night before (though I often drink coffee during it :) .) On lower body days, however, I like to have eaten a full meal. Usually I do those in the evening, so about an hour after my regular dinner. Yesterday I had to lift lower body in the morning, which meant getting up earlier than normal so that I could have a full breakfast (eggs, toast, fruit, coffee.) I am completely whipped, with no energy and poor performance, if I haven't eaten a good amount beforehand.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I can't workout within 2 hours of eating cause I feel bloatd and lethargic, so I'll usually lift around 3 hours after eating, don't take a pre.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    60-90 minutes before lift only days I have coffee and one brown rice cake with some type of nut butter on top. If I'm running or doing cardio + weights, I add a banana or some berries and an extra rice cake. I also tend to eat more carbs the night before cardio days.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Used to train fasted, I have found since switching to evening training I'm stronger. But as for pre workout meal, depends on what I've had for lunch. Which can be any thing, only just started a new strength program so it'll be interesting to see what my results are after a few weeks.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I can't workout within 2 hours of eating cause I feel bloatd and lethargic, so I'll usually lift around 3 hours after eating, don't take a pre.

Same, but I also feel nauseous if I eat before working out. I usually need to eat within 30-60 minutes after working out though - or I get REALLY cranky! I usually workout right before dinner and have a pretty hearty dinner...and than some tasty snacks an hour or 2 later.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Two hours before my morning workout I have 2 jumbo eggs over easy on one slice ww toast and 2 large glasses of water and 2 large cups of tea with almond milk.
    It gets me through an hour to ninety minute workout comfortably.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    I found my Timing lol: rice cakes topped with some fruit and SF maple syrup, then 15-20 mins later drink my pump product, then about another 15-20 mins later hit the gym and hopefully receive pumps from greatness lol :lol:
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    30-60 mins before some protein, fats and slow release carbs.

As soon after as possible, quick release carbs and protein.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Absolute best, peanut butter and jam topped protein pancakes about a hour before.

Favorite before squat or deadlift days is two donuts about 45 minutes before.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    90 min before workout I eat my breakfast - about 650 calories then 30 minutes before workout I eat a banana
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Protein shake since I train directly in the morning, but I do have a giant meal the night before that is carb heavy right before bed.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Banana and hard boiled egg with salt.