Legit..is diet soda actally "bad" for you?

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Have you read this link, OP? It's been floating around MFP for a bit:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Have you read this link, OP? It's been floating around MFP for a bit:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I like this ^^^ thread. It's got some great science in it. It also has some great tin foil hat moments.

Honestly, if you aren't experiencing any problems with it, I don't see why you should give it up.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You are still providing yourself with hydration.

Be prepared for the "I know it's not what you want to hear but drink water instead" crowd.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's a roll of the dice, as with anything artificial it may affect your health negatively or it may not, you'll just have to wait and see.
    Personally I never have and never will drink diet soda, and drink regular soda only a few times a year. I'm erring on the side of caution on this one..

Edited: for typo
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

It depends on what your goals are and how much of it you're drinking. You'll get a lot of different opinions. After studying Nutritional Biochemistry and Physiology for a lot of years it probably won't kill you, however I personally wouldn't drink it. A lot of people consider my healthy lifestyle more on the "extreme" side though.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    double post

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is all right to drink that much diet soda.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.

I was under the impression that sugar caused this? I read a great article lately, it may have been posted in that aspartame thread. That aspartame does not have the same effect on your teeth, and that it basically a myth that sweeteners other than sugar cause damage.

I'll try and find the link, then edit if I find it.

Anyone else?
  • carrieellen1
    carrieellen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with giving up Diet coke but this is what I know about my drug of choice (that's what i call it)

In a 2 liter bottle there are 6 servings. Each serving containing 46mg of caffeine and 40mg of sodium. drink the entire bottle in a day, which is easy, you have consumed 480 mg of sodium and the added caffeine (in Diet Coke) along with the aspartame increases hunger and drives cravings for things one watching their nutritional intake should not be craving, ergo the overeating addiction increases for soda drinkers.

If that is not enough, the damage it does on your teeth should matter as well. If you are not going to reduce or stop your soda intake, balance it with water.

That is my 2 cents worth at least.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I drank 3 today. Still kicking. I assume I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning as well.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is 99% water.
  • jdiehl8282
    jdiehl8282 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me personally I wouldn't drink it because of the aspartame, a lot of people don't think it's a big deal but the fact of the matter is that above 86 degrees aspartame turns into a poison... Now what temperature is our bodies?? Now a little bit may not hurt you but the cumulative affects will build up and wreak havoc on your body over time
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jdiehl8282 wrote: »
    For me personally I wouldn't drink it because of the aspartame, a lot of people don't think it's a big deal but the fact of the matter is that above 86 degrees aspartame turns into a poison... Now what temperature is our bodies?? Now a little bit may not hurt you but the cumulative affects will build up and wreak havoc on your body over time

Did you read the thread linked above?
  • jdiehl8282
    jdiehl8282 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I prefer to drink kombucha tea, it's delicious and low on calories and sugar and has probiotic benefits
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.

I was under the impression that sugar caused this? I read a great article lately, it may have been posted in that aspartame thread. That aspartame does not have the same effect on your teeth, and that it basically a myth that sweeteners other than sugar cause damage.

I'll try and find the link, then edit if I find it.

Anyone else?

It's not the artificial sugar with diet soda but the overall pH. Sugar is bad for your teeth bc the bacteria in our mouth consume that sugar and the byproduct is acid. Acid is what creates holes in your teeth.

That being said. You can cause the problem with sugar. Or acid. Constant exposure to Gatorade, pop, etc. anything with an acidic pH on the regular is going to be bad for your teeth.