Zucchini help

Options
2»

Replies

• j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you can cut zucchini into cubes and pickle it just as you would a cucumber! there are even sun pickling recipes, so you just put everything in a jar, set it in the sun for a few days, and voila!!!
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    i put zucchini in everything. like everything. this morning i diced some up and sauteed it in my breakfast burrito. its flavor is so mild that you can put it in anything or season it by itself.
  • Brent_Arthur
    Options
    I enjoy making a nice ratatouille, using zucchini, summer squash, onions and stewed tomatoes.
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    It sounds crazy, but I like to cook it in a pan with onions and garlic until it's really soft, puree it in the blender, and use this as a base for pasta sauce. I add oregano, basil, rosemary, olive oil... whatever I have around that would go into a tomato sauce, and a little tomato paste.

I love red sauce for pizza and pasta, but I have trouble digesting it. This is honestly just as good! Also, you can use up the huge, watery, end of summer zucchini that aren't as good for sauteeing.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you have a mandolin, you can slice it super thin and make a garden lasagna using the zucchini instead of noodles. I also like it mixed with yellow squash and tomatoes steamed as a veg medley. I like it diced with and sauteed in a tiny bit of tomato sauce.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have Zucchini in my garden this year and I was wondering what do you do with them? Besides make bread and fry it. That is really the only things we do with them. I am looking for recipes. Any ideas would be helpful! I do fry it with extra vergin olive oil so that is better than reg veggie oil.

One of my favorite things is just sauteeing the zuccine in EVOO (about 1 tbsp). And adding some Mrs Dash to it. Delicious!!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    LOVE roasted zucchini. No oil required, I put chunks on a lined baking tray, sprinkle a little salt and pepper, bake at 180 C for 25 mins. YUM. Garlic would also go well with this.

I cut strips of zucchini in with stirfrys, dice it in curry and chilli, grate into sauces, raw strips in salad. Many, many yummy uses!
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    Throw some sliced zucchini in the oven for about 30 minutes, then toss it in whole wheat pasta with a little bit of olive oil, garlic and pepper. Easy but delicious. I like to add artichoke hearts and eggplant too!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Slice it in long strips, marinate it with garlic, herbs and a little olive oil in a ziploc bag. Then grill it. Yum!!!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love it in Zucchini Cobbler, but probably more sugar than anybody here wants!

I chop or grate it and put it into everything. Spaghetti sauce and stirfry are regular dishes at our house, and it's easy to throw in the zucchini.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook zucchini is is slice it in half lengthwise, add your choice of spices on the cut side and a light coating of canola oil and grill it until the cut side is lightly browned. Don't turn it. This leaves the uncut side with a slight crunch while the cut side gets soft and has a delicious carmelized taste.

It's also great for kabobs or in a stir fry.
  • alyssa1980
    alyssa1980 Posts: 18
    Options
    i add grated zucchini every time i make meatloaf or meatballs...don't even taste it and it's a way to add more veggies :) also, make roasted zucchini by baking it in the oven with seasonings...
  • LalalalaFitnHealthy
    Options
    I like to grill zuccini and then cut in strips and mix it with cottage chees. Also just put them in ceramic pane ,add water and fry them until water vaporise.
  • Marleneaa
    Marleneaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For the chips I use a mandolin slicer, all even thickness really helps, it also does nice and thin if you want them to be a bit crisp :-)