Keto Newbie

Options
Just starting Ketogenic / LCHF lifestyle. Have seen some amazing transformation on YT--Keto Karma suggested this to track and learn what 6 oz of chicken looks like. ;-) I Just finished my first week of eating this way and results are mixed--Keto Flu started the first afternoon and lasted for the first 3 days--though the symptoms got less intense. I lost 2.2 lbs in 3 days! But now at the end of this week, I'm only down .4 lbs. I'm guessing my body is still adjusting? or I may be eating too much.

Replies

• lafateiadavis
    lafateiadavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Haven't started keto yet but gearing up to in a couple of days. Food shopping prep!
  • smkrmr478
    smkrmr478 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love keto and just started. I lost 40lbs on it before but now I've just had a baby and need to do it again!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. IT's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • piper_granny
    piper_granny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for about 3 weeks after doing low-carb for about 3 months. (I have hypothyroidism due to a mutli-nodular goiter. I'm also insulin resistant thanks to starvation dieting over so many years. For both those reasons, (ok, and the fact that I HATE exercising LOL) I'm morbidly obese. Endocrinologist is supervising my weight loss in addition to my thyroid) There's something different this time around with my dieting - this is NOT a diet to me, but a new lifestyle. I've had absolutely no trouble going keto. I read up on the program by googling, and bookmarked a few websites that had information I want to go back to. Ruled.Me was a great resource. It has a calculator to put in your weight, height, age, BMI (you can estimate if you don't know), and your lifestyle (sedentary vs. active, etc). It will tell you what percentage of your calorie intake should be fats, proteins, and carbs. I plugged all that information into MFP "goals" (where you set how many calories, etc). I also bought ketostix (Amazon - SmackFat) and use them a couple times a day just to prove I'm in ketosis, because this has been so easy. I hadn't noticed a much faster weight loss until last week, when I forced myself to start DRINKING MORE WATER. and WOW, did that make a difference - I'm dropping about 4-6 ounces every day - about a pound every 3 days. I just plain feel SO much better - have lost 22 pounds since the beginning of April. No intention of stopping now. My advice to you is get those ketostix and use them. If you're not seeing ketosis, you're not getting enough fat. Use the calculator on Ruled.Me, then plug your numbers in on MFP. It'll really show you where you calories are going. Also - track EVERYTHING you eat - even coffee creamer - even vegetables - even onions! - they all have sugars or carbs! If your carbs or protein are too high, your body will not burn fat (ketosis). Butter is my best friend now. I've also made some great 'fat bombs', and use them to make sure my fats are up. Hope this helps - I'm sorry - I tend to babble ;) (PS I feel so good now, I bought a stationary bike and am logging about 12-14 miles a day on it!!)