Eating too little? ?

Options
djacobh
djacobh Posts: 9 Member
So I have been on a weight loss journey for a few years now. I have always simply believed, everything in moderation. Eat healthy + exercise= lose weight/change body composition.

So I've been eating clean, and it is making it hard to hit the 2300 calorie mark without adding some less healthy foods into the mix.

So my question is, would me eating too little possibly impact my weight loss journey? Bc it seems to have stalled out.

All opinions welcome ! I can supply more info as well.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you getting that you feel is too little?

If your weight loss has stalled, there are other things to consider, increasing your calories is not going to help you lose.

How long has it been since you've lost? How are you measuring your calories in? Are you using a food scale?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing (and we aren't talking about a 1-2 week stall), then you're likely eating more than you think. How are you measuring your intake?
  • djacobh
    Options
    I record everything here. I have missed a few days here n there but at one point I had 70 straight I think. I've even resorted to using measuring cups and scales for a few weeks to make Sure I wasn't over or under estimating. But my diet basically consists of the following:

Breakfast:
    Bowl of cereal w/ 1/2 cup milk

Lunch:
    8 Oz of lean protein
    Green veggies (kale broccoli and green beans are my go to)
    1/2 - 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes or brown rice

Dinner:
    Basically a slight variation of lunch

Snacks:
    Fruit (partial to banana, strawberries, or grapes)
    Protein shakes

And no. This is about 4 or 5 weeks. I was basically aiming for a "clean bulk" of sorts but my weight has moved neither up or down in a few months.

I lift heavy at the gym, I do 40 min of cardio 5 days a week.

And I also (based on step counter) walk an average of 15000 steps in work days.

My gym manager thinks that the walking for work may be the tipping point making my calories eaten too far below maintenance
  • djacobh
    Options
    And I do pre weigh my meats and portion them so I know they're weights match. And I measure the veggies and such out as well. I do a LOT of meal prep.
  • djacobh
    Options
    In response to nutmegoreo I tend to get around 2200 to 2300.

It's been hard for me to determine which one is my activity level. I work as a manager, but as I noted I walk about 7 to 10 miles a day in the job and I workout 5 to 6 days a week. Most of which include weights and cardio.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale when measuring your portions? If you aren't using a food scale, you are likely estimating your calorie intake. It's one of the most common issues. Pull out the scale (you said you've done this, so it just a matter of dusting it off) and weigh all solid foods for the next couple weeks to make sure. It would be the easiest variable to check to start with.

Sounds like your daily life has you pretty busy. Are you eating back the exercise calories? Have you been taking your own measurements and some pictures along the way? Is the workout routine new? New exercise or increased exercise can increase water retention, this is temporary.
  • djacobh
    Options
    Oh the scale sits on my counter top. I just used it last night to break down some fish and chicken etc into portions (I write the weights in the zip loc).

I tend to use measuring cups for other stuff u less it's weight based. Weigh meats and hard veggies, measuring cup greens and liquids, etc

I did start a new routine, but that was this week to try and break the plateau. I was doing the same routine for about 8 weeks.

I fortunately (or unfortunately), don't have much time to eat at work, so I don't think I am eating the calories back, and I try to keep accurate logs.

Dontget me wrong, My body composition has improved, it has just come to a stand still.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to weigh everything SOLID and in RAW form.

If I use cups to measure my cereal I'm usually getting 20% to 30% more

Same goes for things like pasta, rice and other grains when cooked and then put in cups.

So solids on the scale and liquids with cups and spoons.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago. Thought I was doing everything right....gave up because I wasn't see results... this time I started using a food scale and I average 2 pounds a week as planned. Trust me it's worth a go.