Sugar vs Honey vs Dried Raisins

Options
cliftonav
cliftonav Posts: 29 Member
I have started to eat porridge. I prefer to have it just a little sweet. I used to put a few dried raisins at first but after reading the calorie count of raisins I switched to a small tea spoon of honey. Is honey better to have as a sweetener? I take no other added sugars in my diet.

Replies

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love honey. It is my favorite sweetener. I would say however splurge and find some organic honey. To me honey is like literally eating nature. So to sum it up I agree with you. Use the honey!
  • cliftonav
    Options
    I love honey. It is my favorite sweetener. I would say however splurge and find some organic honey. To me honey is like literally eating nature. So to sum it up I agree with you. Use the honey!

That's great to hear. Yes, I will look for some "organic honey". I presume that organic honey is much better taste wise?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I would use whatever sweetener you find most tasty. If you like raisins, use those and work them into your calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care so go for taste.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

this.

if you dont want to spend the calories, i like to use sweet n low/splenda.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

This is the correct answer.

And don't waste your money on organic honey.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/compound-eye/organic-honey-is-a-sweet-illusion/
  • cliftonav
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

this.

Isn't it reported that these artificial sweeteners aren't good for you and are worse for the body than sugar?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    cliftonav wrote: »

this.

Isn't it reported that these artificial sweeteners aren't good for you and are worse for the body than sugar?

no, quite the opposite in fact.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    edited July 2016
    Options

That's great to hear. Yes, I will look for some "organic honey". I presume that organic honey is much better taste wise?
    I think it tastes better!

More so that honey is made by bees who go out and get the nectar from plants. You want organic because you want the material the bees use to make the honey come from organic plants. reasons...
    Bee(s) are very necessary in the food chain. The help pollination of fruit bearing plants. Most herbicides and such will not only kill the pests that farmers want gone, but will kill the bees. So if you are using organic honey at least those bees have a better chance of survival.

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/2004/mar/form
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

this.

no, quite the opposite in fact.

This^^

I use Splenda and raisins in my oatmeal.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Stevia is completely safe. The drops are easy to use but don't add too much or it gives a bitter aftertaste.

Applesauce is nice if you are not worried about your sugar intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I use berries, but whatever works--honey or sugar or raisins are all fine.
  • Conskill
    Conskill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A sugar is a sugar. Period. The only difference between "sugars" are complex and simple. All carbs enter the blood stream as sugars but complex ones enter at a much slower rate. There is no difference so chose which ever you would rather prefer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

More so that honey is made by bees who go out and get the nectar from plants. You want organic because you want the material the bees use to make the honey come from organic plants. reasons...
    Bee(s) are very necessary in the food chain. The help pollination of fruit bearing plants. Most herbicides and such will not only kill the pests that farmers want gone, but will kill the bees. So if you are using organic honey at least those bees have a better chance of survival.

You may want to read FunkyTobias's link.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'd go with honey or table sugar, mostly because I like having my sweetness distributed through the oatmeal. Raisins or other dried fruit work, but I have to keep this mental restriction ratio of raisin:oatmeal so I don't end up with a spoonful of plain oatmeal.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    Damn I was wrong about a lot of stuff. Those are some interesting links.

You may want to read FunkyTobias's link.

Damn now I don't know about any of it. Those are some interesting links. Well in the end I like honey I use honey so honey.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Raisins, honey or sugar by weight have the same caloric load. So the same as far as the body is concerned.

I find Stevia tingles on the tongue a bit, similar to cinnamon. So I typically add a little cinnamon when using Stevia.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Honey will do a better job sweetening the whole thing because the sweetness of the raisins is rather self-contained, but I think you'd already figured that out. There are also an almost unlimited amount of types of honey, so you can keep trying new ones until you find one you love.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I quite often sweeten my porridge with honey, but other times I will add some stewed fruit. I keep single serves frozen and ready to go.