What motivates you to keep going when you are in pain? Especially shoulder and arm pain.

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
I know you need to listen to your body. Well I messed up my shoulder somehow.

Between the heat toward the end of June and the pain in my shoulder which is giving me sleepless nights I haven't done any exercise in weeks. I've become a couch potato again - Ugh! Still watching what I eat but the walking and biking has gone by the wayside.

I'm a lightweight so if I even take ibuprofen I get very sleepy ( not conducive to a workout ).

I won't be doing any pull ups or push ups anytime soon. Even walking hurts it because I swing my arms.

How do you get through injuries? I do not want to just quit again but this stupid arm is not cooperating. It started in my shoulder and now radiates down my left arm. I think I pulled a muscle. It hurts more at night when I am trying to relax and go to sleep. In between jobs right now so don't have insurance at the moment. I think it's just a pulled muscle that will resolve itself with time.

Thought about yoga but poses like downward facing dog aren't working. Any other thoughts for a workout while this heals?

Please no negative comments - thank you

Replies

• socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    See a sports medicine doctor. Healing happens faster when you know what your injury is and the proper way to treat it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    A pulled muscle shouldn't last for several weeks. Is it maybe tight shoulder muscles?

My shoulders killed me for a few months until I finally brought it up to the physical therapist. He told me to do stretches. I also had pain radiating down my arm that kept me awake. He pointed out that I seem to pull my shoulders up which pinches a major nerve that passes through a small space between the clavicle and rib cage.

A week after I started stretching, the pain was gone. Very minimal pain/numbness in arm now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had a frozen shoulder at one time and did not get to a doctor in time. Don't do this! Go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. It is probably something that can get fixed in the early stages. Hugs
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had a pinched nerve in my neck that caused me pain like that and my hand would feel like it fell asleep. Aside from your workouts do you do any repetitive work or prop your phone on your shoulder alot? Just wondering because that can aggravate things.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have said, go to a doctor. If you need to since no insurance, sacrifice in other areas. As for exercise, you can walk, suck it up if it's hot, go early or late or walk in a mall/big box store. I've had several should operations and walked for exercise a day or 2 after surgeries. If it hurts the shoulder to walk, get an inexpensive sling you can wear while walking.

Best of luck.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I get thru pain and injuries by consulting a medical professional. Pulled muscles don't get worse as time progresses, as your injury seems to be doing. Pain doesn't start radiating down ones arm for no reason. I understand that money is tight but you need to find a way to get this situation looked at ASAP
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I go to the doctor and ask her if it is okay to keep working out, and what sort of modifications I should do, or braces I should wear for it.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    No propping the phone on my shoulder. I used to get headaches a lot so I know that's a no - no. Can't go to the doctor right now as I am in between jobs and do not have insurance. I put ice on it tonight and that helped a bit. It eases up a bit during the day and I am able to move it. It's probably really tight shoulder - I was thinking I probably pulled a muscle. I usually sleep on that side too. Hopefully it will work itself out and I will hear good news on the company I've interviewed with 4 times. Once I get on with the company I will have insurance again and can get it checked out. In the meantime I've been researching home remedies and taking it easy. Guess I'll continue to hold off on the exercising until it clears up.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I consult the appropriate professionals and follow their advice. Yup physio is expensive, but has gotten me back on track and is an important maintenance tool now.