Awareness. Not repeating the past

Options
freedomtothecagedbird
freedomtothecagedbird Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
Looking at oneself in the mirror not liking what you see back? So many times have I looked in the mirror and not addressed what I'm seeing. Awareness is the first step and not repeating history is the second.

Coming from a performing arts background and a family focussed on weight I naturally adopted a strict attitude to food. At the age of sixteen I prompted a year senza sugar or any white carbs. That combined with a rigorous dance training made me shift a tonne of weight and I was the thinnest I've ever been (albeit unhappy). However, after not being able to maintain this regime I started eating the 'no bounds' foods and then regurgitating what I'd consumed. A happy medium I thought. I didn't realise that this would ensue a seven year bulimia battle.

It's now been an year and half of of me being bulimia free. I started by keeping myself to a gluten free/dairy free diet. Gradually that diet loosened and now I eat anything and everything I want but unfortunately with the compromise of gaining weight.

I don't want to have an unhealthy attitude to eating and I would like to loose weight without eliminating everything and starting my whole bulimia cycle again. I travel a lot so this will be very challenging for me.

I've acknowledged my past so here's to starting a better future. I would be really interested if anyone else has a similar story and wish any of the FitnessPals success in their goals.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• freedomtothecagedbird
    Options
    P.s., that photo is of me slimmer but yet hiding weight under the big dress!
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was anorexic and bulimic for five years so unfortunately I know how hard it is to get out. It's something I deal with every day although I have recovered. Body image disorder is also a demon for me. I was diagnosed with hashimotos 4 years ago and gained a lot of weight unexplicably even though i was careful with my diet. I had no conrol of the weight gain, it just kept getting higher amd higher. On the right track now with meds so things are getting better. I can tell you that you can and will get better. It sounds like you're on the right track and I would be more than happy to share the journey with you.