Does Sweating More Make It a Better Run?

Options
mccokat
mccokat Posts: 130 Member
Please excuse however ignorant this may come across. I run with a partner about fifty percent of the time, and as much as I love her, she is agressive (and strange) at times.
I don't do heat very well, so I run in the early morning or at twilight so I can survive the summer. She keeps asking me to run with her in the afternoon or early evening because she wants to run "when it's hot" and get a "better sweat" which I guess makes the run better.
Is this a thing? Am I right to tell her no since I will get sick if I get overheated (I don't have a proper cooling system and get heat exhaustion super easily)? Or should I just tell her if she wants a better sweat she should work harder?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your friend is mistaken. I don't sweat often, regardless, but I can assure you I am getting a good workout. Excessive sweating can dehydrate and cause electrolyte imbalances if you aren't aware of what is needed to replenish.

In short: no, sweating more is not an indication of a better workout and can have some risks.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No, it is not a thing. Yes, tell her no.
    I don't deal well with heat either (am so happy having moved from a subtropical to coastal temperate climate). When I lived in a subtropical climate, my rule of thumb became that I had to start my run no later than 6.30 am or just do something else that day. I tried going running in the later morning or afternoon a few times, and it was hell.

If running in the heat makes you feel sick and sluggish (as it does me), then obviously it will not improve your workout. Rather, it will probably make it less effective and make you less likely to do it, so bad idea all around.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the human body's uniquely refined mechanism for cooling. It enables us to hunt in the daytime in the savannah, and appears to give us an advantage over all other animals in this situation. Sweats cools the body by evaporation of moisture on the skin, when the passage of air over the skin is cooler than the skin surface itself. Sweat is not an indication of a better workout, sweat is a indication that the body is hot. That is it.

If you struggle to cool down, you will likely slow down, you MAY feel thirsty and given your body's extremely well adapted chemical processes are working at full pelt, will probably need feeding. All of which is have though would make for a slower less comfortable workout.

Workout at a time and pace that suits YOUR needs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To be fair, regardless of the reason, if you can't run when it's hotter you should be saying no anyway.

And as everyone else has said more sweat does not mean a better run
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Sweatings main purpose is to cool the body. Sitting in the sun sweating doesn't mean one is burning a lot more calories than someone sitting in the shade.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the responses! That's kind of what I thought, but now I will not feel bad about telling her no. Thank you!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    This is good to know as its one of those common myths that go around, awesome!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The level of sweating doesn't equate to the level of the workout. Everybody sweat differently. Some people handle the heat better than others. I sweat alot in the heat but I also love working out in the heat. I also sweat in the winter time just as much as if I sweat in the summertime. What you have to figure out is what's best for you and do that if you can't handle the heat you can't handle the heat nothing wrong with that
  • gainerpal
    gainerpal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There has to be some be some other benefits to sweating other than cooling !? I know when you urinate toxins are released from the body could this be the similar with sweat also?
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sweat does nothing but cool your body. The more you sweat the longer it takes for your body to over heat. This is mostly genetic from what I've read. People who sweat a lot equate sweating to getting a good workout, they are correct but their logic is backward. They are sweating because they had a good workout not the other way around. Also, if someone who isn't genetically predisposed to sweating they are in danger of heat stroke or exhaustion if they workout the same way as someone who does. Most of this is available on Google. Listen to your body.. Your friends.. Not so much...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gainerpal wrote: »
    There has to be some be some other benefits to sweating other than cooling !? I know when you urinate toxins are released from the body could this be the similar with sweat also?

Why does there?
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's better to exercise when it's cold, as your body has to burn more energy to keep you warm as well as keep you going.

Although maybe that's a rumour to make winter runs bearable! :#
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I could never run with your strange friend. Overheating is not fun. Run when you're comfortable. You'll sweat enough.
  • gainerpal
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why does there?

--Boosts endorphins, detoxes body, lowers risk of kidney stones, prevents illness, purges pores.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/sweat-it-out-5-surprising-health-benefits-sweating-actually-dont-stink-309718
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol. No. You're smart. Go when you are most comfortable.
  • gainerpal
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Better sweat has nothing to do with better fitness.

True but it does have something to do with better health.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Better sweat has nothing to do with better fitness.

True but it does have something to do with better health.

How so? I have a friend who is fit and does not sweat at all. We workout side by side and I'm drenched and she looks as cool as a cucumber. Better health? She is pretty darn healthy.

ETA: skipped a word as usual.
  • gainerpal
    Options
    Humans r complex maybe she has other built in responses to cool her down? Some run hot some run cold lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If that's the case I am the best ever. I should be in the Olympics.