What was it that made you start working out?

Options

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was very active from High School through my time in the Military. When I started having arthritis pain in my back, I gave up over time. As I could not do simple tasks at times. Last year I suffered a heat stroke at a pistol match. That was the last draw for me. I started going back to the gym, and wound up signing up for personal training. Now I'm much healthier, and my back feels much bettet.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Walked by the TV as a pro football game was on, the announcer describing one of the players as "a really big guy, 6'2", 220 pounds..." and I was a 5" 10" female weighing 221. Literally stopped me in my tracks when I realized I was as big as a pro football player. Yikes.

That I recall clearly! Right around the same time, someone sent a photograph that they thought was cute of my husband and I, and it shocked me. And, again at the same time, I was wallowing about my weight to an acquaintance, just barely, though, and he said rather bluntly "well, nothing won't change on that front unless you make it a priority."

AND...realizing I was 48.5 years old, looking at 50, and knowing I didn't want to start my 50's being that heavy.

Karma that all of this happened within about a week. That did it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Enjoyed weight lifting ever since 4th grade. Just my type of thing. 37 years later and I love it more.
  • madguru7
    madguru7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me it was high cholesterol. Either exercise or go on medication. I chose exercise.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I fell madly, madly in love. He picked someone else. I channeled all the energy of heartbreak into exercise. I lost 85 pounds. Fitness gave me an explanation for enduring leaving him. Life without him just didn't make sense, I couldn't understand it. I spent hours every day exercising, it gave me focus, and helped place a meaning to it all.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Midlife crisis. LOL. I started working out when I was 39 because I just felt like it was now or never. I am in way better shape now that I am my 40s than I ever was in my 20s.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what age I learned to crawl ... but I've been active ever since then because it just seems like more fun than sitting around and doing nothing. :grin:

Although I'm saying that with a smile, it is actually true. I was born into an active family and I've always been active. Both my parents were into cycling and hiking, so we walked and cycled and hiked everywhere. I started commuting to and from school by bicycle when I was 6 years old. In school, track and field was my thing all the way through to about Grade 11. When summer came, my family and I were off cycling and hiking somewhere.

At the age of 12, I introduced my parents to cross-country skiing because we had a series of cross-country skiing classes at school, and I loved it. My father wasn't really into it, but my mother and I would go out skiing quite regularly through the long Canadian winters.

I got into long distance running and a bit of weightlifting in my late teens/early 20s, and then into bodybuilding with a coach for a couple years.

About that time I rediscovered cycling and that has been my main sport ever since, although I do cross-train with walking, hiking, running, canoeing, rowing, and weightlifting.

The reason I came here was because I had gradually crept up into the overweight range between 2011 and 2015 for various reasons (lots of travel, lots of moving, very unsettled, less exercise, more eating). So, I guess, an answer sort of related to the question would be ... we moved to a very hilly island and because I had gained a bit of weight, I was struggling to cycle up the hills. I'm not a hill climber at the best of times, but the extra weight certainly didn't help.

At the beginning of summer 2014/2015 (December 1), I decided that was the summer I was going to lose some of the weight and get strong enough so that I could cycle hills. I cycled, walked, and weightlifted through December ... and lost several kg ... and started making it up some hills. Then all of a sudden I was side-lined in January 2015 with two urgent surgeries (two unrelated cancer scares ... one is still an ongoing concern, one was all clear). So in February I joined MFP to start tracking my calories while I built up my activity level again.

Happily, I lost all the weight I originally planned to lose, plus more, in 2015, and can cycle longer and stronger again. :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    In highschool I started working out because I realized I was fat when I weighed in at the doctor at 170. Throughout my 20s I went to the gym very inconsistently as well. No fitness goals or anything. I eventually stopped.

One day I was feeling quite fat and very anxious about my relationship at the time, so I went back to the gym. I told myself that I could do ANYTHING I wanted if I went...including sitting on a bike and reading a magazine like the people I had scoffed at in the past. And that's exactly what I did. Then I went home and got really drunk on whiskey and listened to early 90s hip hop but I digress.

In an attempt to get slim I also signed up for a 5k and it sucked. I decided to never run again and for the most part have not.

Shortly after that a trainer saw me using the machines in the gym. I ended up purchasing some sessions with her and she taught me to squat and deadlift. The rest is history. I'm signed up for my first power lifting meet this September.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the desire to start working out until I was dedicated to my diet and water intake for about a 2 months. Then I craved it :)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It was when I first made the decision to lose weight. I didn't know any better and thought to lose weight I had to work out. Come to find out I actually enjoyed it once I found something I loved. For me at the time it was Turbo Jam. These days it's walking, DDR (though I don't do it specifically for exercise) and strength training. I don't enjoy strength training as much since I hold it in the same regard as doing chores. I don't want to, but it's gotta be done. :D Maybe one day I'll come to love it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Realizing that clothes looked horrible on me, not because of the clothes' fault, it was me. My FAT was making me look fat, not my clothes, lol.
  • alaine5377
    alaine5377 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to hit some point where they just say "that's it, time to get in shape" What one thing prompted you to start taking your health seriously? For me, I was going through a separation from my wife and felt that if I was in better shape it would help our marriage. Well needless to say it didn't and we got divorced a year later. Now I stay in shape for me to keep active and travel.

Mine is something similar. My ex and I were having bad problems so I tried working out for him. Then when we divorced, I missed going to the gym and eating good foods. So it has now become a stress relief and a moment for myself.
  • Jeebles604
    Jeebles604 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Because skinny fat doesn't look great naked.

Honestly, someone who is fit is a damn attractive quality. It shows pride in themselves. I know how I view someone who is super fit and healthy. I also wanted to be that. It's the opposite of laziness. Someone who is active shows so much about them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Because I wanted extra calories. No shame in that.
  • Ghostlight1
    Ghostlight1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Shortly after that a trainer saw me using the machines in the gym. I ended up purchasing some sessions with her and she taught me to squat and deadlift. The rest is history. I'm signed up for my first power lifting meet this September. [/quote]

Just as Arditarose did, how many of you signed up for some type of competition after you started to get in shape as a goal.

My first year getting in shape I did 3 - 10K races and 5 - 10k Mud races bu my second year i signed up for the swimming leg of a relay Triathlon. I am not a big fan of running but but goals do help.

• jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Because I wanted extra calories. No shame in that.

So true! Its not my only reason - I live for my swimming and 2 martial arts - but I love food. And if you're also small (5'3) then being inactive means something like a measly 1200-1300 calories. How can anyone eat peanut butter on that, lol.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Initially started to lose weight in January for the impending wedding in August. My friend had signed up to the gym the year before and went off and on. She convinced me In February to go to a yoga class with her. I avoided the gym before I didn't want to be the fat, unfit one that couldn't do anything.

The instant I started that class was an eye opener. No one cared if you could or couldn't do the moves. They were concentrating on themselves, not you.

When I got to work after the class I signed up for a membership online and started the following week. I experimented with different classes in the schedule until I settled on my current routine which is 6 days a week of 1-2 classes per day, with a mix of weights, Cardio and Pilates.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When on a holiday in Scotland I fell in love with walking the area and specifically wanted to walk the Great Glen Way For the best part this way roughly follows the main road so I could see its beauty and I wanted to be in those hills and I knew it would be too much, most certainly with a backpack.
    Two years later we did walk it for our holiday and I was hooked. The year after we did the Hadrian Wall Path which as harder but we made that one too. From thereon it has been snowballing into more and more. Not planning a walking holiday this year due to special circumstances, but I have one in mind for the year after
  • amzblitz
    amzblitz Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The pump
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Because I was tired all the time and in and out of a depression. One day I just had enough of the cycle I was in.