Cheap, healthy, quick dinner ideas.

Options
Hi all,
Getting my diet under control is a huge issue for me. I find myself feeling lazy after a long day at work and tend to hit up the drive thru.
But I'm determined to quit that! Hit me up with your favourite healthy recipes that take less than 30mins to cook, and are not too crazy expensive.
Thank you!

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead really helped me quit my drive thru excuses and habit, that way I could portion out what I was going to cook, check the calorie count and tweak it where necessary, buy only those ingredients. Any preparation for your planned ahead menu that you can do in advance is a massive bonus and helps me to stick to the plan.

I cook up 2-3kg of chicken breast on a weekend, portion it into 200g ziplock bags and freeze. The chicken can be used in anything, let it thaw and eat it cold on a salad, throw it in some sort of casserole to go in the oven, or add in to whatever you've got going on the stove.

It's really handy to have - I know it helped me with the self-talk-drive-thru excuses on the way home :)

Take it out of the freezer in the morning to thaw, or reheat, and eat with caesar salad, greek salad, tomato basil and mozarella salad...eat it with an endless list of salads. Or just eat it.

One simple thing I like to do with the chicken is: Cook up some onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini on the stove, add in half a jar of tomato based pasta sauce. In another saucepan, cook a portion of pasta shells. Once the pasta is done, toss it in with the saucy veggies to coat, pour it onto a plate and sprinkle with a little bit of parmesan cheese. This has become a go to dish and one I'm not bored of yet :)
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers cut in half. Place sliced deli roast beef. Put in chopped onions and mushrooms and cover with provolone cheese and microwave till heated. Quick and easy .
  • tlc010283
    tlc010283 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Meal prep-- cook brown rice or quinoa, chicken, ground turkey, beans, lentils, sweet potatoes
    Salad, veggies raw or cut up ready to cook
  • StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Soft tacos - ground meat mixed with beans and onions topped with a little cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, and maybe avocado. About 15-20 min.
    Spanish style tortilla (eggs onions potatoes) with chorizo and salad on the side. About 20-30 min
    Baked chicken breast topped with breadcrumbs. 5 min prep, 30 min cook. Misc. veggie on the side.
    Above are a few of my weeknight go-to meals. As you cook more you also get faster :)
    Feel free to add me - my food diary is open to friends. I work full time, have young kids, and need to keep to a budget. I do pretty well most of the time although it definitely falls apart sometimes.