Fitbit helpful?

Options
Do you have a tracker? If so, does it really help? Help enough to pay $100+ for it

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit can help if you want it to. It only gives you data. If seeing numbers will help you want to move more, it may help you. Mine helped me go from sedentary to walking 30+ miles a week because I like seeing my numbers go up.

It all depends on how you use it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It has really encouraged me to do more movement throughout the day not just my "exercise time". I park further away from grocery store. I take my dog for more walks. I will go outside and pull a few weeds or pick up a few sticks.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For some, yes. For others, no. I'm in the yes category. It helps me get a true feel of what I'm burning each day and how much I can eat.

BTW, you don't have to spend $100. The Zip, their most basic one, runs for $50-60
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I will be honest and say only when I feel motivated and in burn mode. I am not really a workout type person. I have seasons of wanting to be active and then seasons where I do nothing at all and have to rely mostly on nutrition. If you are not really into being active, no matter what program or product you buy, it will not keep you going long term if you don't enjoy it.

So if you like walking/running or doing other types of aerobics then the fitbit is for you. I purchased one a few months back and even though I have used it a great deal, there have been weeks when I stopped but I don't regret buying it because it does motivate me to get some type of cardio in most days.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I had the Zip for three years and just upgraded to the Alta this week. I like that it reminds me to get up and move. The challenges are fun too. I like that it syncs to MFP. It takes the guesswork out of figuring out my exercise calories and the burns seem more realistic to me.

I purchased mine at Target and received a $20 gift card with it. I thought that was a pretty good deal.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like mine but the battery is now dying after 2.5 yrs. It automatically syncs which is nice if you want to eat your exercise calories. If you don't, you can always manually add your exercise here for a good estimate. I'm not sure at this point if I would replace it with another fitbit (blaze?) or an apple watch.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I started with a Flex and upgraded to a Charge HR. Personally, I am great at lying to myself about how much I eat and move, so I use external assistance from a digital kitchen scale and my Fitbit. (Bathroom scale too, for that matter.)
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    robinmrams wrote: »
    Do you have a tracker? If so, does it really help? Help enough to pay $100+ for it

I got the UP move, UP make quite a few trackers and in tests there step counts have come in very similar to the fitbit so they're just as accurate. I got mine for £15. I wanted to try something before i shelled out big for a fitbit.
    However since getting my UP ive compared it to my dads fitbit and i highly doubt ill bother get a fitbit now it doesnt seem to do anything id want it to do that my up cant.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with my fitbit Charge. It provides a nice reality check to keep me active and watching my calories.
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have the flex, got mine from Amazon for around $80. I like that it can sync with MFP. Numbers motivate me and I like seeing my daily progress change from blue (active or in progress) to green (completed, go you!) this includes items like daily steps, calories burned, active minutes, total water drank, etc. I also love how it can track my sleep and quality of it. So in short if numbers and seeing daily progress helps motivate you then I'd say yes, go ahead and buy one. Also the battery has an insanely long life before needing charged.