I hate running

Options
2»

Replies

• Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So don't run? Pick another activity you actually enjoy.

I run because its free, theres no one around to see me and I can do it anywhere. Most other sports you have to 'learn'

I used the run and felt the same way you do. I stopped and bought a stepper - it was rubbish. I also managed to break my portable stairmaster (the thing was 25 years old) so I ran out of options. A colleague suggested trying Fitness Blender's videos on Youtube. I was skeptical at first, as I live in a small studio flat with my partner, who I didn't want watching me workout. But after a while I realised I couldn't work all my workouts around when he wasn't in, so I just got on with it. They have hundreds of videos so I mix them up 3-4 times a week. I would never go back to running or the stepper now! Give it a go :)
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That being said, if you really feel you WANT to try to like running, I hear there are motivational apps you can download for runners. This one has been recommended to me:

https://zombiesrungame.com/
  • yogesh32
    yogesh32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not everybody likes every form of exercise. We have to find out what we like and what we not. I hate going to gym and workingout. The best exercise I found for myself was running and that in the open amidst to nature listening to some selected music. It totally refreshes me. We should do what we like and if you hate doing it dont do it. Find some other exercise which you like.
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

At times I've made myself run to support my sports or for a challenge. Did a few 5k races, mostly for free beer afterwards TBH but also just to challenge myself and get out of my comfort zone. Went round twice to make it 10k wondering if more distance would suddenly reveal this mythical (to me) runner's high. Nope - just made it twice as miserable.

Haha, mythical runner's high.

I used to hate running. I didn't have the drive to push through. Then one day I just went for it and started pushing myself. I didn't actually start to enjoy it until I became proud of myself and my accomplishments. I made it to the runner's high and was ecstatic. Not every run is the same. Some days are good, while others are terrible. I find it's my mindset and how I am physically feeling that day. If you just don't like to run, then don't. Like others have said, there are many other cardio options. Good luck!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Are you following a beginning running program or did you just start running? C25K is a great way to get started without overdoing it. Pace yourself. When I did C25K I followed the rule "if you can run any slower then you are running too fast". If running is in your future there will be plenty of time to increase your pace later.
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What Wophie said try those motivation story event apps. Runtastic has them too. I'm with you OP I hate running, but it's cost efficient and I get good results. I've been using those apps it helps to distract and not think about what your doing. Maybe one day we will like it.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Are you following a beginning running program or did you just start running? C25K is a great way to get started without overdoing it. Pace yourself. When I did C25K I followed the rule "if you can run any slower then you are running too fast". If running is in your future there will be plenty of time to increase your pace later.

I completed C25K now just using map my run? I think haha

• bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like it for the extra challenge. I have been a long standing run naysayer. I've spent the past 1-1/2 years doing some workouts that I never thought possible. I think with the additional strength gained along with a positive workout posse I'm giving it another whirl. I went to the local experts for a proper pair of running shoes. I'm amazed at my endurance I never thought possible. I think it takes a perfect storm of outlook, support and a good pair of shoes.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sudmom wrote: »
    I started listening to audio books when I run. It is amazing how a good story can get your mind moving off of the fact that your feet are hurting and your lungs are burning!!

Do you buy the books? Or is there a free app?

You should be able to "check out" audio books from your public library.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I hadnt thought about this!I drive long distances so I listen to audio book a lot, but I hadnt thought of doing it while running. Must try it out.
    sudmom wrote: »
    I started listening to audio books when I run. It is amazing how a good story can get your mind moving off of the fact that your feet are hurting and your lungs are burning!!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Determinedtoloseliz Have you tried to find a local running club? I find that the added social interaction - pre and post run - has been a great part of the motivation to get out and make some miles. There will normally be runners of different speeds so always someone to join you. This also opens up new trails and routes that you probably will enjoy.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    One of the keys to success is making changes that improve your health and are sustainable for a lifetime.

While increasing your cardiovascular fitness is a change that will improve your health, choosing an activity you dislike is not sustainable.

Try different activities until you find one that you enjoy. It might help to consider what aspects of running that you hate. You've told us that you like activities you can do anywhere, cost nothing (although that is a bit debatable due to the importance of quality running shoes), and have little to no learning curve. Are there any other activities that interest you? You mention learning to ride a bike, so that might be an option for you.