new and scared

Options
catpjfan9
catpjfan9 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone,
I am new here and very scared. I need to lose 25 pounds. This is hard as I am disabled, and very depressed because of it. Looking for friends for support and motivation, I am willing to offer the same in return.
About me, I am friendly and love music and art. I am a female mid 30's take care of my elderly mom. Since I can't get around much (I am disabled), I am very confused how to do this.
♡ thank you kindly for your time

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    don't be scared honey, just take it a day at a time and expect it to be slow.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    to figure out how you may get this done, is it okay to ask what sort of disability you have?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! There is nothing to be afraid of, really! Hugs

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You can do this!

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hello! Don't be scared! Your in the right place! Here's what helped me get started, not everything may not apply to you personally but could still help someone else who may be reading this-

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit
    Calories in calories out
    As long as you eat at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. ( You don't have to exercise to lose weight)

There's no reason to do fad diets or gimmicks. All you need to do is create a calorie deficit. Fad diets and gimmicks usually backfire. Fancy trendy diets come and go. There's no reason to low carb( unless you have a medical condition) or Paleo or whatever the newest diet craze is. Just eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. You don't need to buy any diet products or pills, just eat at a calorie deficit
    Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.

Get yourself a food scale and learn how to weigh your solids . measure your liquids. Log everything here on mfp. No guessing or estimating, weigh everything to be as accurate as possible. You can get a food scale from Walmart for around $13.

Best of luck!

• catpjfan9
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    to figure out how you may get this done, is it okay to ask what sort of disability you have?

Yes, I have severe anxiety and depression. I have had a head injury, so I use a walker to keep my balance. Also, I have many food in tolerances.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Okay. In that case, I would look for exercises you can do while seated so you don't fall over. What if you buy some small weights and lift them with your arms while sitting down?
  • catpjfan9
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Okay. In that case, I would look for exercises you can do while seated so you don't fall over. What if you buy some small weights and lift them with your arms while sitting down?

Okay, sure! Great idea thanks so much for all your kindness ☺
  • catpjfan9
    Options
    Hello! Don't be scared! Your in the right place! Here's what helped me get started, not everything may not apply to you personally but could still help someone else who may be reading this-

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit
    Calories in calories out
    As long as you eat at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. ( You don't have to exercise to lose weight)

There's no reason to do fad diets or gimmicks. All you need to do is create a calorie deficit. Fad diets and gimmicks usually backfire. Fancy trendy diets come and go. There's no reason to low carb( unless you have a medical condition) or Paleo or whatever the newest diet craze is. Just eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. You don't need to buy any diet products or pills, just eat at a calorie deficit
    Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.

Get yourself a food scale and learn how to weigh your solids . measure your liquids. Log everything here on mfp. No guessing or estimating, weigh everything to be as accurate as possible. You can get a food scale from Walmart for around $13.

Best of luck!

I have a scale. Thank you for your advice, but my anxiety over this issue (losing weight) won't stop. Diabetes runs very rampant on both sides of my family. My father died of it just a few yrs ago. It has been rampant though all 4 generations of *both* sides of family. Seeing how it took my father I'm terrified.
  • catpjfan9
    Options
    Hello?
  • planetfatty
    planetfatty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    25lbs is do-able. If you set your loss to 1lbs a week and log all your food/drinks, you could reach your goal by, what? Christmas? Exercise isn't necessary unless you want to, so don't stress over the limitations set by your disability.