Where are my Tofu eaters?

Options
Hey guys so I have a question about Tofu!

Does anyone know where I can buy it in bulk? I usually get mine from walmart for $2.18 a pack but im pretty sure we can do better than that lol

Please let me know!

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I've never looked into bulk purchase, but I've seen much cheaper prices, and better selection, at my local Asian grocery stores.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've never looked into bulk purchase, but I've seen much cheaper prices, and better selection, at my local Asian grocery stores.
    I may have to try that
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    agreed, i buy a lot of fresh tofu at once from my asian grocers OR i buy shelf stable (in a glass jar). This way i can buy in bulk.
  • mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great tip re: Asian grocery stores. I definitely pay a lot for tofu at my regular grocer.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    you can make your own tofu from beans (you end up with both soymilk and tofu). I haven't done a cost comparision.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know you can buy it at Costco. It's it refrigerated though so I don't know how they make it stable (vacuum seal?). I just don't eat enough to get it from there but I don't remember the cost either. Worth checking if it's some where you frequent. It's in w the bulk canned goods...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    agreed, i buy a lot of fresh tofu at once from my asian grocers OR i buy shelf stable (in a glass jar). This way i can buy in bulk.

Asian markets have been my most cost effective find as well. Usually you'll see lots of brands that you wouldn't see in a standard store and many price ranges.

I'm assuming that you are using it as a plant based protein source? If so, have you expanded to others as well, like tempeh and seitan? If they fit your dietary requirements, they are also tasty plant proteins.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Asian markets have been my most cost effective find as well. Usually you'll see lots of brands that you wouldn't see in a standard store and many price ranges.

I'm assuming that you are using it as a plant based protein source? If so, have you expanded to others as well, like tempeh and seitan? If they fit your dietary requirements, they are also tasty plant proteins.

unfortunately i dont have access to anything else where im living. :(

in the us i would use seitan, tempeh, and the plethora of vegetarian protein sources. now, i only have access to tofu and quorn chicken cutlets. :cry:
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

in the us i would use seitan, tempeh, and the plethora of vegetarian protein sources. now, i only have access to tofu and quorn chicken cutlets. :cry:

Sadness. If you are of a mind to and can get vital wheat gluten, you can try making your own seitan... it's not all that hard once you do it a couple time.

But good luck with your situation, however it turns out.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It get it at Costco but they don't have it all the time
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The tofu they have at Costco is shelf stable, and I checked with a vegetarian friend, that's totally legit (she says Americans refrigerate unnecessarily). It's firm, not silky, so it depends what you are doing with it. I don't use enough to bother with bulk, and even grocery store prices are cheaper than meat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Sadness. If you are of a mind to and can get vital wheat gluten, you can try making your own seitan... it's not all that hard once you do it a couple time.

But good luck with your situation, however it turns out.

dont feel bad stores in my area only sell 1 or two brands of tofu. I get mine at kroger(simple truth brand) for less than $2 a package. we dont have any asian stores or costco(no costco in the whole state).
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I use tofu on occasion whenever I feel like having hot & sour soup. I usually just get it at our local Kroger [$1.99/pack for extra firm]. If you want it in bulk, it might be a good idea to look at a wholesale store [like Sam's Club]. They may have it.