I DESPISE Bananas

Options
Xaspar
Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
That's right ... and blueberries, and raspberries and kiwi. BUT the reason I am posting this is because I am tired of hearing about all the great nutritional benefits of bananas and feeling like I am missing out on nutrients I could be getting if I could stomach them. What other options are out there to help with these nutrients?

For a banana these values of Recommended Daily Allowance are listed:
Potassium - 14% (467 mg)
Vitamin B6 - 34%
Fiber - 13%
Vitamin C - 18%
Manganese - 10%

Just looking for alternatives...

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multivitamin?

I also hate bananas.. the texture is absolutely disgusting. I also don't eat many veggies, so I figure the multi vitamin making up for some of what I'm lacking.
  • Xaspar
    Options
    I don't take multi-vitamins because (from what I have found in my research) most of them have synthetics added and they are not actually absorbed into your system. The ones that don't (whole food vitamins) or any specific supplements (like potassium) are not authorized for my job. So, I am trying to get my vitamin mix through food intake.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Much like getting protein from natural sources rather than protein shakes, it's better to get your vitamins and minerals from real foods as well. That being said if you can't stand something why eat it regardless of the benefits. A multivitamin is insurance because we all don't eat a perfect diet every single day.

Without vitamins, you'll just have to do some more research.
  • mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    I eat em for the potassium and manganeese. I believe pecans should help you out!
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    do you hate the flavor or the texture? If it is texture, you can puree the banana and put in to popcicle molds and freeze. They are yummy and refreshing this time of year. but if its the flavor you hate then I suggest lots of leafy greens. they tend to have some of the same nutrient profiles. I would prefer a frozen banana pop over leafy anything. Also as the above poster mentioned nuts are good one too.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I also hate bananas..

They hate you too! :angry: :laugh: <=== I'm SOOOO kidding. For weeks there was an ad on the righthand banner that showed a banana slowly rotting and I was thinking that must be SO annoying to folks that don't like bananas!

I apologize for not finding a link to a good study, but you can look it up - I believe people are saying that Coconut Water is like 'natures Gatorade' in that it has all sorts of minerals, including Potassium. I like the non-flavored type. Refereshing!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You're loss. Bananas are delicious to me, yumm
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i hate bananas too!

may they die a slow & painful death!

i mean kidding. ;-)
  • sheer_abulous
    Options
    If you wrap a sweet potato in foil and bake it in it's skin: 950mg potassium, 768.7% of your RDA (recommended daily allowance) of vitamin A, 65.3% of RDA vitamin C, 13% fibre. It's low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. Vitamin B6 29% of RDA, 7% RDA vitamin E, 6% RDA vitamin k.

really hope you like sweet potato because it's bloody brilliant!
  • sheer_abulous
    Options
    OH and 50% of your daily manganese intake! =D
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are also rich in the nutrients you listed. A small baked potato (flesh and skin) has 128 calories, 29g carbohydrate and 3.5g protein:

For the nutrients you listed, here is the comparison based on 2000 cal diet:

Potassium - 21%
    Vitamin B6 - 21%
    Fiber - 3g - 12%
    Vitamin C - 22%
    Manganese - 15%
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Avocados.
    If you like them.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-nutrients/
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The idea that bananas are a wonderful source of potassium & other vitamins is just very, very clever & effective marketing by banana growers. There are plenty of other foods that are just as good, as several other people here have mentioned.

My mother has terrible leg cramps at night if she doesn't get enough potassium. When she was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, her doctor put her on a low-carb diet and told her not to eat any fruit. So now, every night before bed, she drinks a fortified protein drink (brand she uses is Syntrax Nectar, it comes in a lot of good flavors, you just mix the powder with water). It has a lot of potassium as well as other nutrients, and she hasn't had a problem since she started drinking it.
  • Xaspar
    Options
    Thanks ... that is a good substitute in my book :)
  • Xaspar
    Options
    For those who asked, it is the flavor, texture, smell... basically everything. I once accidentally ate a banana flavored jelly belly and had to run to the nearest bathroom to retch. Anything that makes me nauseous from the just the smell is not good in my book. Let alone the flavor ... and it doesn't matter if it is natural or artificial flavor, they all have the same effect.

Thanks for the sweet potato and potato suggestions, and I love me some leafy greens! That is something I can incorporate a little more easily. I HAVE been doing research, was just looking for anyone else's input... And hoping to get the thread out there for others who may have similar issues.
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bananas are incredibly gross, however, it was recommended to me that I would have less soreness after working out with the additional potassium. I put a single banana in a smoothie with a ton of other fruit as an attempt to overpower all of that banana-ness. I also put 1/4 cup of Blue bell vanilla frozen yogurt in my anti-banana smoothie (Don't judge me - whatever works!) :drinker:
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Love all kinds of fruits and vegetables and have been trying to eat something new every month here. Sorry to hear you don't like these things. I also take a great liquid vitamin from a company called Youngevity. It has a great mix of everything!

good luck in finding something you can eat that will help you out..
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Options
    I thought I was the only person on the planet who can't stand bananas. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Here's a link that might be helpful. http://www.thepotassiumrichfoods.com/