Is steonglifts good for beginners and too lean out?

Options
I'm new to lifting and I wanted to try strong lifts. My goal is to look and feel strong. I was really obese before and brought my weight down and I look skinny fat now. I'm not entirely satisfied with myself and exercising just feels great now. I planned on bulking + doing SL then cutting. Would it work?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lifting is for fitness and muscle retention. A deficit is for weight loss. Alll programs will.wotk for all phased.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, sure. If you're bulking you might as well add some accessory work too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Apples and oranges. If you really want to get "strong," you actually need to eat more and gain weight; fat included. Losing weight will reduce your strength but will make you "look" lean and more muscular. So, like most of us, you have competing goals.

However, based on what you've said, bulking and doing strength training and then cutting would work to make you stronger and look better. This should be at least a 1-2 year plan. The 1st year can be developed to bulking up and getting stronger -- don't worry what you look like. You want to change from "skinny, fat" and weak to "heavy, fat and strong."

It should take you at least 6-12 months to plateau in linear progression in Strong Lifts (or my preference, Starting Strength), where you will achieve and most (and easiest) strength gains. You can then decide whether you want to try to go into intermediate training for greater strength or take this opportunity to that a break from training tlose weight and fat (ie., "get cut").

Assuming the latter, if you like the "look" you've achieved, you can then reassess where you are in terms of strength and decide whether or not further strength training or "bodybuilding" development is the way you want to go form there.

Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I'm new to lifting and I wanted to try strong lifts. My goal is to look and feel strong. I was really obese before and brought my weight down and I look skinny fat now. I'm not entirely satisfied with myself and exercising just feels great now. I planned on bulking + doing SL then cutting. Would it work?

Are you totally new to progressive weights?

Stronglifts is a good programme for beginners
    You will get strength gains even eating at maintenance, you'll have some muscle gain as a noob plus neuromuscular adaptation
    A bulk and cut cycle is traditional, are you emotionally prepared, as a formerly obese person, for that? You could choose recomp instead which is eating at maintenance while continuing a progressive progressive if you prefer
    If you do choose bulk I'd go 250-500 calories above maintenance maximum and make sure you're getting adequate protein (minimum 0.65-0.8g per lb bodyweight) and a widespread nutritious diet

Personally I'd probably go 3 -6 months at maintenance and then reassess and consider bulk and cut
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Are you totally new to progressive weights?

Stronglifts is a good programme for beginners
    You will get strength gains even eating at maintenance, you'll have some muscle gain as a noob plus neuromuscular adaptation
    A bulk and cut cycle is traditional, are you emotionally prepared, as a formerly obese person, for that? You could choose recomp instead which is eating at maintenance while continuing a progressive progressive if you prefer
    If you do choose bulk I'd go 250-500 calories above maintenance maximum and make sure you're getting adequate protein (minimum 0.65-0.8g per lb bodyweight) and a widespread nutritious diet

Personally I'd probably go 3 -6 months at maintenance and then reassess and consider bulk and cut

Yeah I've decided to clean bulk at TDEE + 250 Calories. I'm prepared for weight gain, unlike last time though, I would actually be considered fit. I would never exercise before. I find myself very skinny st the moment, I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs and I've wanted to put on some weight. I'll probably bulk until I'm satisfied with my weight then eat at maintenance.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stronglift is a strength and mass gaining program. Ideal for novices who have never lifted or never lifted seriously, its goal is to get you as strong as possible in the shortest amount of time. This is achieved through compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press), and increasing the weight each time per session. This forces your body and muscles to adapt and grow between each session.

If you are skinny-fat, my suggestion is to go at a slow bulk of TDEE+250 calories. You will get sub-optimal gains doing a program designed to get you strong ASAP while eating on a deficit (unless you are greater than 15% bodyfat). You won't be ripped, but you will be stronger, bigger, and look better - you are building the ice chest to put the six-pack in. 2-3 weeks into the program, add accessories (choose 2-3 of the following per day: chin ups, pull ups, curls, abs).

Once you cannot progress regularly anymore, you can switch to a program that has slower progression (weekly, or monthly) and choose to specialize - do you want a super aesthetic body? Do PPLPPLx or PHUL on a cut then bulk / repeat. Do you want to go all strength? Texas method or Madcow. Bit of both? 5/3/1 BBB, GZCL, PPLPPLx, PHUL, PHAT are all tried and true programs.

Consistency is King. Eat TDEE+250 to 500 calories, Lift Hard, and Results Will Come!

Note: Other programs similar to Stronglifts that you might be interested in: Starting Strength, ICF 5x5 or 3x5, GZCL LP, Greyskull LP. The thing they all have in common: linear progression (increasing the weights each session). Read This about linear progression programs in general
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my 7th week of stronglifts. I'm so glad I found this program. I've never enjoyed working out so much in my life (okay the first two weeks I was in agony but then I started really enjoying it). I'm sleeping better and I have more energy after my work outs. My TDEE is 1950 and I'm eating an average of 1700 calories a day (and I'm eating my workout calories). I've lost just under 9 pounds in 50 days. I went from barely being able to squat with the bar, to squatting 115. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks!
    I don't have a more recent after picture, but on the left is one week into SL and on the right is after my fourth week. There's only a three-pound difference, but I lost over an inch off my waist and a half inch off my hips.
    I heard conflicting advice on when to start lifting, but in my opinion lifting from the start helped me stick to a realistic and maintainable diet, and with each pound I lose I see more and more definition rather than feeling weak and skinny fat. I say start the program!
    1gon9degoun9.png
  • geoff2986
    geoff2986 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, StrongLifts is good for beginners. The 5 lbs progression will teach you proper form, while focusing on the most important exercises. I'm currently on a 6 day PPL workout, but I wouldn't be where I am today without Starting Strength/StrongLifts.
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Notaphase wrote: »
    I'm starting my 7th week of stronglifts. I'm so glad I found this program. I've never enjoyed working out so much in my life (okay the first two weeks I was in agony but then I started really enjoying it). I'm sleeping better and I have more energy after my work outs. My TDEE is 1950 and I'm eating an average of 1700 calories a day (and I'm eating my workout calories). I've lost just under 9 pounds in 50 days. I went from barely being able to squat with the bar, to squatting 115. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks!
    I don't have a more recent after picture, but on the left is one week into SL and on the right is after my fourth week. There's only a three-pound difference, but I lost over an inch off my waist and a half inch off my hips.
    I heard conflicting advice on when to start lifting, but in my opinion lifting from the start helped me stick to a realistic and maintainable diet, and with each pound I lose I see more and more definition rather than feeling weak and skinny fat. I say start the program!
    1gon9degoun9.png

You look great! I'm looking into starting strong lifts/ starting strength/ strong curves. I've been looking into a few things.