Running a 24 miler today! *wish me luck*

Options
ktfranke
ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
Today is my last long run in training for my first 50K! Then it's time to taper! I'm so close to my goal I can taste it!!!!

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good luck! That's a long way and puts my 5K run this morning to shame!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You're a beast...
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Scary snake :-o
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    How did it go?
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I often see squirrels and rabbits on my runs - but thankfully no snakes!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Awesome run!! Good luck on your 50K! That's over 30 miles!! Holy Cow! I'm in Germany...nothing exciting like snakes here either, but I do get to rabbits, foxes, and the occasional deer. :smile: Where where those photos taken? Just beautiful.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    @143tobe those pictures are from Washington state, Pacific North West!
  • irondude359
    irondude359 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    godspeed... :)
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good luck hunn, you'll do great :smile:

Anyway, to anyone out there, if you ever need a friend to accompany you through this journey to a happier and healthier life, motivate you to reach for you goals, support you through ups and downs, I'm always here to be that friend, so feel free to add me! I hope we all will succeed in this journey, until the end! Have a nice day everyone! :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is an impressive accomplishment. Hope the soreness is manageable!
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    How did it go?

Thanks for asking @midmomike66 it went okay! The first 15 were super easy and it went by fast! But it turned into paved road with over 1,000 feet of steep downhill, which totally pounded my feet, knees and hips... So by the time I got to the bottom of the hill, I still had 3 more miles of pavement to go, and my body was done. So I walked the last 3 miles, which ruined any chances of a PR! But at least I finished!

As soon as I got home I used a foam roller and some muscle massage oil to work on my soar spots! The only trouble area ended up being my left calf muscle... But I can walk this morning! So that's a good sign... Lol!
    Congrats on finishing and it sounds like you're doing well after such a grueling race!
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    50k is extreme! How do you stay hydrated on long runs?
  • ktfranke
    edited July 2016
    Options
    50k is extreme! How do you stay hydrated on long runs?

Good question @richardpkennedy1
    At first, when my long runs were around 6 miles or so, I was only carrying a small handgrip water bottle with a pouch big enough to carry an energy gel! But once I started getting up to the 10, 12, 15 mile range, I invested in a hydration vest! My favorite one out of all the brands that I tried, was one by UltimateDirection. It carries a 2liter camelback with tons of extra pockets for snacks, phone etc! With it completely full, it weighs somewhere around 6lbs. You can see a picture of it above ^^

I also use the mini water bottles in the front pouch to keep some electrolyte water! I prefer using coconut water with Nuun tablets! Sometimes I'll switch it up and use Gatorade!
  • ktfranke
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Congrats! That is an impressive accomplishment. Hope the soreness is manageable!

Thanks @tufel and I appreciate your friend request!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Love the pictures - I'm also in the PNW and absolutely love running it. So beautiful. Good luck on your 50k - that's amazing!
  • ktfranke
    edited July 2016
    Options