Severe food restrictions and crazy bloated

ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
I'm losing my mind here. I have ibs/SIBO and tend to get crazy bloated when having a flare up. So at the moment I'm a balloon, feeling horrible, but still can't eat. It will pass but it takes time.
Can anyone relate at all?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Yup, same thing here too.
  • ydyms
    Yup, same thing here too.
    How do you handle?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have Colitis in remission that is more like IBS. I confess to being stubborn and eating what I want and living with the pain/bloating that sometimes happens. Gas-X and I are really good friends!
  • ydyms
    I can't live with the pain and bloat which is why I avoid all of my trigger foods. But stress plays a HUGE role and I have a flare up every once in a while anyway :(
  • CoachJen71
    ydyms wrote: »
    I can't live with the pain and bloat which is why I avoid all of my trigger foods. But stress plays a HUGE role and I have a flare up every once in a while anyway :(

What helps when you do flare? And do you have stress coping techniques that work for you? Some days imagining a water wheel in my happy place works, other days I can't see it and I just want food. :(
  • ydyms
    Running usually helps. I don't always have the time or energy for it...
    Sometimes I feel like I need a temporary liquid diet but I'm not ready for that step YET lol
  • CoachJen71
    A liquid diet doesn't sound like much fun, but if it helps?
  • ydyms
    I know :( But ugh. I need to be more prepared and then maybe... Deep down I really want to since I know it's gonna work...
  • jerrihopfer
    jerrihopfer Posts: 2 Member
    I have IBS, too. Recently diagnosed. Only plus side is that I am dropping weight. I am miserable though. I recently got put on medication and a probiotic. I have to watch what I eat or I am absolutely miserable. I follow the FODMAP diet. Are you familiar with that? I am still trying to figure out what foods I can and cannot eat. I just need support in this area. UG!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member
    I have IBS and stress is a huge trigger. If you can't run or just as an alternative, slow, deep breathing works for me. Sometimes I have to lay in certain positions while doing that to relieve some pain and bloating, but it helps.

If you have to do liquids only, keep it to just 24 hours (or less) if possible. You don't want to become reliant on that type of thing but it can relieve bloating fairly quickly, IMHO. Everyone is different though, so keep experimenting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    There's a fitness podcast I like called Ben Coomber radio. Both him and his co-host have IBS and discuss it and the nutrition around it quite a lot. He is ridiculously smart (and handsome). If you're bored and want to listen I recommend it.