How often do you weigh yourself

Options
jrobertson290365
jrobertson290365 Posts: 81 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
As the title of my question says how often do you weigh yourself as I want to weigh myself 2 or 3 times a week but my wife says it's too often and she's worried i'm getting obsessed with my weight loss, but TBH I'm more anxious or even desperate to keep seeing it come off me (if that makes sense).

Also is it best to weigh in the morning or night as I read somewhere you should check your weight in the morning?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    it entirely depends on my mood and how much beer I drank the night before. If weighing yourself impacts your mood negatively then keep it to once a week, if you can emotionally understand that your weight will fluctate daily and a small gain doesn't put you into a tailspin then maybe do it daily . . . if you want. The trick is simly weighing enough to confirm a long-term trend so you can check that against your calorie consumption.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    it entirely depends on my mood and how much beer I drank the night before. If weighing yourself impacts your mood negatively then keep it to once a week, if you can emotionally understand that your weight will fluctate daily and a small gain doesn't put you into a tailspin then maybe do it daily . . . if you want. The trick is simly weighing enough to confirm a long-term trend so you can check that against your calorie consumption.

This^^
    MobiusMan wrote: »
    Throw your scale in the garbage. Let your clothes and health markers guide you at least for three weeks. If you just cant then no more than one time a week.

Not this^^

How is the OP going to know if he is on the right track? Yes his clothing fit will be one aspect but a scale will be another. Don't throw your scale out.

ETA: clarifying
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Usually every day... I was baaad on Friday so I won't weigh myself again until this Wednesday or so!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and track on happy scale to watch for trends. It was hard at first because iof fluctuations but I am much more in tune with my body than I was in the past. I know high sodium days or near TOM will have gains that disappear within a couple days.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, roughly the same time after using the bathroom. Then I text my diet friend with my weight, she texts me hers and we have a little motivational text chat at 6.30 am.. If I didn't have this support I think of stopped weighing so frequently and gotten a little slack..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Twice a week usually
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after using the bathroom before doing anything else sans cloths (the scale is also in the same location and it's normally around the same time in the morning as well) and take an average for the week. It's just a data point to me. It's what works for me.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyday! I don't think it's obsessive, I like seeing how my weight fluctuates. It gives me a better idea of how much I'm losing and what makes me retain water and stuff like that.
  • lpurrott
    lpurrott Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every morning! If I have eaten badly the day before and gone up a notch then it helps to put me back on track
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Every morning after the bathroom. The only other time I get weighed is at my dr every 3 months. Luckily our scales are in sync.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing yourself daily..for perhaps a month..just so you can understand your body and how it reacts to weight loss and your diet.

I weighed in Monday..Offical weight Monday Morning..every week. 242.8#
    I skipped Tuesday..
    Wednesday 241.4 Thursday 243.4 Friday 242.6 Saturday 242.8 Today 242.4

Strange, isn't it? My calories in are well under my calories out. Your body fluctuates, and it's important to find that out, or one time you'll be jumping for joy and the next weigh in , you'll be wondering where those "extra" two pounds came from?
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I get in the scale every day or two. But I only track my weekly weigh in. That is the number I use as my base, and as long as that number trends downward, I'm happy. The rest I chalk up to daily fluctuations.

As for the person who said don't weigh - I lost about 35 pounds before I noticed a change in my clothing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning. Is that an obsession? I thought it was just data. I put the data in mfp and it makes a chart.
  • ayobeezy
    ayobeezy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log it using Happy Scale. I highly recommend that app to everyone.
    I log my weight on MFP about once a week.
  • bbubb1
    bbubb1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday! It helps to keep me focused. I track my weight on here once a week on Friday!
  • jpurch
    jpurch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday. It is motivating and keeps me on track. It has also helped me understand the fluctuations of my body.