Eating at night

Options
farmgirlco
farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
Does anyone else have this issue:

I can eat exactly the same for 2 days. I can stay well within my range when I account for exercise. But, if one day I eat some of those calories after 8:00-ish, I gain weight.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you squash the urge to eat something after that point?

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    you gain for the week or just the next day?
  • farmgirlco
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    you gain for the week or just the next day?

The next day, but it then takes me the whole week again to take it off - my weight will fluctuate up, but it takes major work for it to go down at all.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was asking, because if it's just an overnight thing then it is most likely because your food has not completely digested yet. Unless you have a medical issue that you don't know about then you might actually be eating more than you think OR it may be due to water weight if you have too much sodium...that happens to me, but if I watch it and make sure it stays under then by the following week I usually lose more than I think I will.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Food weighs something and if you eat before weighing and don't give it time to digest and use the restroom then you will gain scale weight.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Food weighs something and if you eat before weighing and don't give it time to digest and use the restroom then you will gain scale weight.

What about those that eat pre bed meals consisting of 1000 calories that fill their macros?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

What about those that eat pre bed meals consisting of 1000 calories that fill their macros?

My statement had nothing to do with macros, gaining fat, or changes in body comp. I'm simply pointing out that if you eat and don't defacate you gain weight. It's incredibly obvious but I'm afraid it gets missed in here. Eating at night likely has an insignificant impact on body composition.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

My statement had nothing to do with macros, gaining fat, or changes in body comp. I'm simply pointing out that if you eat and don't defacate you gain weight. It's incredibly obvious but I'm afraid it gets missed in here. Eating at night likely has an insignificant impact on body composition.

So if you eat at night and dont go for a crap you puton weight. Wow
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How is that hard to understand... the food is still in your body if you haven't been to the toilet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Does that seem odd to you or something? Waste has mass and thus weight which would show on the scale.

As to the OP...I eat dinner most nights around 8:30/9 PM and go to bed around 9:30/10 PM...I pretty easily lost 40 Lbs and have been maintaining for over three years...meal timing has nothing to do with in in regards to actually putting on fat. You have to look at weight loss and weight management in general as a general trend over time...weeks and months, not days.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Eat more fiber so it moves everything through on a regular schedule. We should basically have one bowel movement for each meal, which means generally three BMs a day.

Stop eating 'at night'. Whatever time you normally eat dinner, limit the further intake after that point. I typically have no more than 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate, or a 1/2 cup of yogurt or skyr (2 or three times in any week), about an hour after dinner. Other than that, only water or herbal tea.

Weigh yourself in the morning, after your BM and before you eat or drink.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Do you have a point? There are people on this site going through weight loss for the first time and they often find themselves confused with how much a scale will move throughout the day, often a by a number of pounds. These aren't muscle and fat changes, but mostly due to food and water intake and relieving themselves.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber so it moves everything through on a regular schedule. We should basically have one bowel movement for each meal, which means generally three BMs a day.

Stop eating 'at night'. Whatever time you normally eat dinner, limit the further intake after that point. I typically have no more than 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate, or a 1/2 cup of yogurt or skyr (2 or three times in any week), about an hour after dinner. Other than that, only water or herbal tea.

There's still no reason not to eat at night. I've been eating after 930-10 every night for the six months I've been in a deficit and still lost 40lbs in that time. Timing has no relevance on weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Well the obvious answer is stop eating at 7:30.

No. Seriously, it doesn't make that much difference...I think you're imagining things. Calories in< Calories Out over time results in weight loss, regardless of some random number on an electrical device. Time (o'clock) is a man-made device.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Hence why i don't bother weighing myself in the morning until after I've gone to the loo. It's not as if you put on real/fat weight, it's just that you are also weighing the the food that is still in your system.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier when I'm tired, but the hour doesn't matter. I noticed that my whole deal with wanting to eat at night tied in with being tired, so I started going to bed earlier.
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You may find yourself happier with the scale if you cut back on weighing yourself daily. So many factors can account for an extra pound or two swing in either direction. Weighing every day can lead to confusion and frustration for a lot of people
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I wish I was so regular that I could reliably count on ONE BM a day, let alone THREE!!! But this is my issue to deal with, and why I dont weigh regularly - only every six to eight weeks when I visit the doctors office for other things. I dont want to obsess over whether or not my bowl of chips at night, or my mug of tea is still lingering around to show up in a daily weighing ritual.
  • farmgirlco
    Options
    So...if the solution is that you need to have time to "expel" the food...what is your suggestion for someone who is nowhere near that regular? How do you become more regular?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

What does that have to do with fat loss and body composition over a sustained period, which is surely the target, rather than fretting about post poop morning scale weight?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Hence why i don't bother weighing myself in the morning until after I've gone to the loo. It's not as if you put on real/fat weight, it's just that you are also weighing the the food that is still in your system.

^ The point