Obese and thirsty with high intensity exercise

Options
Hi all, I'm just wondering what you all do about being thirsty when trying to run/power walk/do other moderate to high intensity exercise. Before anyone suggests it, I'm not diabetic, I've been tested repeatedly and this is an issue that I run into only when exercising harder than casual walking. I have to bring at least a 24-32 oz. water bottle with me whenever I do any exercise, and i'm drinking every 5 minutes and will down that entire water bottle in a 30-45 minute session. When I was doing taekwondo again a couple years back, I felt like I was going to pass out if I didn't guzzle some water every 10 mins, which was disruptive for the class and embarrassing for me because I was the only one who had to keep stopping. Same goes for Zumba or anything else that gets that heart rate going. However, i've heard drinking too much water will make it difficult to work out, cause side cramps, etc. and i've had that happen a couple times. Any suggestions? Does this maybe get better as I lose more weight? Thanks!

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Do you have to guzzle the water or will sips work? Not that it matters, really! I always come to my fitness classes with a bottle of water with lots of ice in it. I tell myself the ice lowers my body temperature from the inside so I can go harder :D. I've never for one second felt embarrassed about this or that I was being disruptive. Can you workout at the back of the class if you feel self conscious about it?

Although I love water during workouts, I hated running with it even more. I never was much more than a casual jogger (six miles at a crawl pace at the most) and usually just drank water before and after the run

Edit: as for feeling like you're about to pass out, I'd look at the airflow in the room. Granted I do have breathing issues but can usually tell if it's stuffy. Air isn't on, everything locked up tight, that sort of thing

Will it get better? I don't know. Depends of if nothing is truly medically wrong. Some people go through entire intense workouts without drinking water but I typically do, during
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    what is your normal water intake throughout the day? If you aren't hydrated properly then your body may just need the water to allow you to sweat.

I drink a lot throughout the day. I can be at 6-8 8 ounce servings by lunch time. just for fun the other morning I weighed myself before and after a 4 mile run. I lost .8lbs which I would assume came off in sweat in about 40 minutes.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't drink when I run even though I get thirsty and sweat alot. It hurts my tummy if I try to drink while running. I can drink alot when I strength train though.

What I do is try to get in some water before I run so I feel hydrated and then try to make it till I'm done. So maybe drink 16 oz or so before you exercise. And like the others said drink more through the day
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a thirsty exerciser. I stay pretty hydrated (as much as possible), but I like to drink 20-32oz during a workout. I don't guzzle so I don't have issues with cramps or anything. I run on the treadmill and not outside just cause I like having my water with me comfortably to drink. I'm heavy too. Maybe it'll get better as weight is shed. That'd be nice.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink during the rest of the day? Your body can hold on to water for several hours. Drinking water during your routines is a good idea but you shouldn't be craving it. Sugary drinks, coffee and salty foods also pull the water out of your system. Make sure you're properly hydrated before you workout and it should go away.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    First make sure you are well hydrated ALL the time, not just during you workouts. I used to drink A LOT, I still go, but not as much. Now that I've lost 144 lbs and gotten in much better shape, I don't feel as much need to drink during workouts & walks.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do drink at least 64 oz of water or unsweetened iced tea throughout the day. Usually a lot more. I try to hydrate myself plenty before going out, but still end up drinking a ton. Maybe it'll get better as I lose weight, I'm sure i'm sweating pounds of fluid away when I exercise.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    fireytiger wrote: »
    I do drink at least 64 oz of water or unsweetened iced tea throughout the day. Usually a lot more. I try to hydrate myself plenty before going out, but still end up drinking a ton. Maybe it'll get better as I lose weight, I'm sure i'm sweating pounds of fluid away when I exercise.

There's the problem. The tea is very dehydrating. Try cutting back to one or two 8 ounce glasses per day and see how you feel.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Still don't see what's so wrong about stopping to take a drink, but oh well

Only thing I'm not clear on is if the water you're drinking is cold. I'd recommend adding ice if you don't already, since that might be a bit more effective at replenishing you while you're gasping in the middle of your workout
  • double_dash88
    double_dash88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance that it could be caused by your breathing? I find that when I do cardio I need to focus on breathing in through my nose. Otherwise, I end up panting in and out through my mouth and my mouth gets so dry I feel like I need more water. I feel way less thirsty when I take more controlled, deep breaths!